1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

14 November 2016 - moon biggest and brightest in 60 years

Discussion in 'Residing in Thailand' started by Stamp, 11 Nov 2016.

1. Stamp

Stamp Thread Starter Administrator Staff Member

On Monday, 14 November, the moon will be the biggest and brightest it has been in more than 60 years. So long as the sky is clear of clouds, it should be a great time to get outside and gaze at it or take some photos.

It’s what is commonly called a “supermoon”, or technically a “perigee full moon” – a phenomenon that occurs when a full moon coincides with the moon being the closest it gets to the Earth on its orbit.

What makes this one special is that the moon is going to be even closer to the Earth than it normally gets, making it a tiny bit bigger than even your average supermoon.

But, despite a lot of hyperbolic news written about the event in the past few days, don’t be too surprised if it looks much like any other full moon.

Wondering what’s really going on and how to catch a glimpse? We’ve got you covered.

Read the whole article here: Supermoon science: November 2016 moon biggest and brightest in 60 years | Science | The Guardian

2. Stamp

Stamp Thread Starter Administrator Staff Member

A very special Loy Krathong Day for Thailand indeed. :thumbs up

3. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

Did anybody experience billions of flies, I only guess the so called Marleng Mao, in front of shopping malls, basically everywhere near a light last evening?

It's usually a sign of upcoming rain, but I thought about the Supermoon, coming soon because it didn't rain.

I've never seen so many flies in 15 years of living here. Only being at an ATM at a 7 Eleven for three minutes was an unpleasurable experience.

4. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Well-Known Member

Find out exactly when the moon will rise, and from what direction, based on your location:

Moonrise and Moonset Calculator

Nanjing: 17:15 at 75 degrees Time of true fullness: 21:52 (local time)
    Bangkok 17:48 at 76 degrees Time of true fullness: 20:52 (local time)
    Chiang Mai 17:49 at 76 degrees Time of true fullness: 20:52 (local time)
    Nakhon Sawan 17:47 at 76 degrees Time of true fullness: 20:52 (local time)

bahn_farang likes this.
  5. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

you read my mind as this is the answer to the question I was just about to post, cheers

6. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

Thank you Stamp and DavidUSA for your posts ....I did this with 5 classes of prathom 4 today for about 15 minutes and nice to get away from the book and give them a quick why and how science lesson about Loy Gratong and this special moment this year.
    Homework set: TV/comp off, go outside and look at the moon at 8.52pm. Report back next lesson and tell me how big it was. Lets hope for a clear sky tonight.

7. GanDoonToonPet

GanDoonToonPet Well-Known Member

High in the sky here in Bangers so not so impressive. The difference is imperceptible anyway but if it's on the horizon it looks bigger due to perspective.

Still, anything that get the kids / gen. pop. interested in science, especially astronomy, can only be a good thing. :yes

8. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

it's stunning