1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cool 15 year old rum for 200 baht!

Discussion in 'Wining & Dining in Thailand' started by gungchang, 6 Aug 2015.

1. gungchang

gungchang Thread Starter Over the hill for at least the 6th time!

If you live in Lampang, and if you drink, this is good news!

There's a shop here in Ko Kha that sells a lot of Thai liquor as well some foreign booze, in addition to the usual mini-mart stuff.

I've seen Syder Bay cider and Ma Jai Dum (a spin off of Meow Jai Dee) banana lao Khao, and some "strawberry brandy" lao khao from Chiang Mai, and Uncle, etc.

But then I noticed Sang Som 80 proof aged. It says "five years" on the, but the bottling date on the back side of the label tells a different story: 2543. This stuff is 15 years old!

At 200 baht a bottle, it's cheaper than Uncle Tom. At 15 years of age, it's as smooth as Jack Daniels.

If this interests the other teachers in Lampang, let me know. I'll provide directions on where it is in Ko Kha, or get GPS coordinates, or something.

2. po3try

po3try Well-Known Member

cheaper than the new stuff as well :celebrate2

3. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

rum/ other spirits don't change much after they have been bottled. The benefits of aging come from the cask. you can pick up the bottle to see it the shoulders are lower, if so, there has been some change over time whilst in the bottle.

also, given the age of liquor and sugar content of rum, the rum might actually go bad if not consumed in a reasonable amount of time after the bottle is open - but this is something you should not have to realistically worry about.

The novelty of a rum bottled and unopened for so long would be worth it for me to pick up if I passed it. and the fun opening and sharing it with friends after so long in the bottle would more than compensate for the lack of quality. But to be honest you can do far worse than Sangsom for a 6$ bottle of rum.

4. natewill

natewill Active Member

Is the blue-label SangSom Special? I bought a bottle of that last week. Seriously, it was a half-step up from cheap rotgut rice wine. I'm sticking with Hong thong and SangSom regular. :drinking

5. gungchang

Does it say "five years" anywhere on the bottle?

On the reverse of the label, what is the bottling date?

6. natewill

natewill Active Member

Hell if I know. It's long gone now. That was over a week ago. It was probably the same stuff though. How many different blue labels could SangSom have?

7. Templeton

Templeton Member

I can tell you for sure there's only a few things I miss from the U.S.

Cheese....absolutely, steak (I'm not a steak lover but beef here is horrible) and whiskey. I like scotch to be honest and The Macallan 12 year is not the best in the world but a bottle in the states is 45 USD while here in T-land it's 3,900 baht!!!! All Thai alcohol is horrible! Also, I don't like beer but because I drink more for the effect than I do for the taste I drink Hong.

That being said, when I spend for good alcohol, I feel the difference. To make it simple, Hong, Regency, SS all make me want to sleep. I'd rather drink NyQuil.

8. gungchang

Some brands don't seem to sell well at the local WalMart.

Guiness stout was less than $2 a can.
    Cass Red 6.9 is about $0.50 per can.
    Bass Pale Ale was also quite cheap on clearance.
    Decent French brandy is 68 yuan, domestic is 81 yuan.

9. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Well-Known Member

Yeah, in China too! When you go into a Chinese liquor store look around on those bottom shelves for the good stuff. They sometimes don't know what it is, and since no one buys it, the prices are reduced.

I filled up a bag yesterday. They are going to be trophies in my apartment.

10. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is Freedom, in water there is bacteria." Benjamin F. ( I don't think that he'd like such mixed wannabe whiskey/rum stuff)