1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2016 IFUGAO students to graduate in May 2017

Discussion in 'Qualifications & Courses' started by sirchai, 30 Oct 2016.

1. sirchai

sirchai Thread Starter Well-Known Member

I've almost finished all assignments for the second term of the Dip T Ed and only have to do one more, plus a few documents from my school which I've already received and ready to send to them.

The biggest joke is that I have to wait until May because they say that such "GRADUATIONS" are only done once a year.

To make a long story short. Would you sign up for the course right now, you'd be one of the guys who graduate in May with a few guys who're members here.

But wait, it's even getting a lot better. It could also be in June or even July.

I really feel totally ripped off, had a much different information from the main one in the beginning, but spoken words mean nothing.

In other words, I assume that my almost 60 k are wasted for something I might not even need.

I was always trying to be optimistic but this is changing my whole view of it. I better not write what I'd like to.

I guess you do know where I'm coming from. I was # 24 who signed up in February.

The chances to get my money back for a course where not even one assignment was graded until now, seem to be very slim. Not even a mail after the first term, nothing.

I'm just a damn number that's all. And I really have to work very hard for this money.

2. kiwidrew

kiwidrew Active Member

I did that course. It's the only course I have ever graduated from before even completing it. It's useful if you want a Thai teachers license.

Just in case you're not aware, you'll have to pay a further 5k for graduation costs even if you don't attend the ceremony.

Gor Blimey Guvnur! likes this.
  3. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

:laughing5555 did you have to make Somchai's Friday a lot worse?

Nearly there and a means to an end ....you'll be a happy bunny once its in the bag.

4. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Why would it be a waste of money, sirchai? In May 2017 you'll get your DipT certificate which will make you eligible for the teacher license.

bahn_farang likes this.
  5. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

Echoing Stamp, it's insurance. If we didn't buy insurance for our travels, car, health then we'd save a shed load but that's not really the point, is it?

6. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

Did my PhD.
    Completed my requirements in July ... had to wait until my paper was published. That took another 9 months (April of the following year).
    Then had to apply to graduate and my uni stopped collecting fees. Since my application was after the deadline (March) for the application to graduate I had to wait until June of the following year to go from ABD to PhD.

A delay of a semester or 2 after completing your requirements is nothing new and even fast by comparison. Welcome to post grad.
    Graduation and alumni fees are also pretty standard at most universities. 5000 baht is not out of place.

As to the OP "wasting" his time and money... The course is primary on-line and blended. if you learned nothing and your teaching did not improve then the fault lies with you for simply coasting through. Post grad is not high school or undergrad. The onus for your learning in on YOU. At least the certificate will allow you to get your teacher's license.

sirchai likes this.
  7. sirchai

Actually, the point was to be able to apply for a new teaching position which can hardly be done in May, June, or July, or whenever they decide to do their graduation.

I'm fine now and it's already water under the bridge. :go10

8. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

They (IFUAGO / St. Roberts) will usually issue a letter that says you have completed the program. Just ask for it when you are done.
    They did for 2 of our teaching staff who did the program.
    That is more than sufficient to get waivers until the grad ceremony happens, you get your certificate/diploma, you get your photo taken and can actually apply for your teacher's license.

In terms of finding a new job - non-issue.
    Jobs outnumber qualified applicants (B.Ed, PGCE, Dip.T, etc) by a good number - even for NNES teachers.
    Just apply when you are ready and quit crying into your beer (dilutes the beer).

sirchai and Stamp like this.
  9. sirchai

Thanks a lot for your great advice. It's time to hand the thread over to methmakesdead. :thumbs up

10. po3try

po3try Well-Known Member

this is proving to be rather difficult...

11. sirchai

I've just written my : " What is a Global teacher?" for my portfolio and only need to send it in.

My last assignments were Child Adolescence and the two Teaching Profession ones. I thought that there'd be one more assignment, ( Medias in the classroom, or similar) but I was told that the portfolio is all I need to submit.

I've just read my Global teacher assignment again and changed a few sentences. I better send it to Bangkok asap.

Thanks for your posts.

12. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

:confused
    I thought you had already attended the graduation ceremony and recieved the certificate quite a while back?

Whaas up Po?

13. po3try

po3try Well-Known Member

they dont give the certificate on the day. some people seem to have been able to pick the certificate up from the school but every time i contact the, they deny that they're even available yet so haven't made the journey.

14. kiwidrew

kiwidrew Active Member

If you need any of the course material in advance for further papers, let me know as I still have the files.

sirchai likes this.
  15. kiwidrew

kiwidrew Active Member

I did the course purely to gain some basic grounding in Educational study. I graduated from university in Social Sciences and Law. Hardly applicable to teaching but useful. Am going to start the MA in ECE this coming January.

The website Edmodo where assignments can be submitted, can also be viewed by other students. I noticed that many are using copy/paste stuff from various online sources. Hence not putting much effort into the work. My attitude is if you're paying all that money, why not do it properly and gain a better understanding rather than the lazy approach of what many seem to be doing.

bahn_farang and sirchai like this.