1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A "must know" when you've got kids at a school...

Discussion in 'Classroom' started by sirchai, 23 Sep 2016.

1. sirchai

sirchai Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Hello,

It took a long time to find out why our son couldn't go to one of the better high schools, continuing from M. 3. I don't want to blame my wife for it, but it's actually her fault that it is how it is.

Please let me try to explain how such things work. Let's say, your son, biological, or bankalogical, attends a primary school and wants to go to one of the better, usually huge secondary schools.

If you live in the city where the school's located and the child's registered in the city house book, there're no problems at all.

But if your wife and your son are still in the house book of a tiny village in the middle of rice fields, or nowhere, the shit starts to hit the fan damn hard.

Those kids who "live in the city", ( even when their names are only in a house book of somebody who lives in the city, where the school's located, have no problems at all.

But if your son/daughter's in a village house book and the entrance test shows that the kid has only "2 points" less to attend the school, you know that you're fragged. Okay, you could try to bribe your way through, but you never know how that ends and if your child really becomes a student at the school. You could pay good money, but you can't proof it.

I didn't understand why our son, being the winner of a nationwide English competition, couldn't study at the school that has the best reputation in town. He was at a smaller school that only had classes up to M.3, i never thought about having problems to get him into a proper school.

A chat with the director of another high school, which was my plan B, explained to me how it works and he couldn't help me to get our son into his school. He had 78 points out of the needed 80 and even kids who live in the city who only scored 55 were taken by the school ..
    ( no idea if the parent paid money, or not)

But to get to the point. If you have kids who'll soon finish grade six, please make sure that he's/she's registered in the right house documents in the city!!!

Should you live in a village, just find somebody and register your kid at this guy's place and all will be fine.

I wrote that to warn you that your child's not ending up at a technical college, like our son. He's in his 3rd year of "studying electronics" and he doesn't know anything about the field. What they tell him to do is insane.

Coming in on weekends to make some boards for some teachers, I don't want to know what they offer to good looking girls to have better grades. It's truly a waste of time for your child and you.

Too many lessons are cancelled because there's no teacher, our son now started to bypass the flag ceremony which seems to be pretty common. But what really bugs me is that his chances won't be good to find a good paid job after the technical college.

If you love your child, please do all that he/she can go to one of the high school in town with a good reputation. That's all that counts, no matter how much they know after they graduate there...

. Not talking about expensive private schools now, just the usual government schools.

I love our son as my own flesh, but too many weird kids are attending such colleges. In my own humble opinion, it's just a place to keep them off the roads. Hard drugs are pretty common and not many can speak English.

Teachers who beat the shit out of kids shows that there must be child molesters as well, if they believe they own the students at school. They don't have a problem to cut a student's hair in a way that all others are making fun out of him.

If my post only helps to get one child to a good high school, instead of a fragged up technical college, I'm more than happy and the writing was worth it and made sense.

I see so many kids who're not the creme de' la' creme, but they are registered in a house book in the city, not in a village. They study at a good high school, without having paid one baht. It's the house book that matters.

If your wife/gf doesn't get it, please explain it to her.

They don't give a flying kangaroo about kids in a village and opt them out in only one second.

P.S. Forgot to mention something that really hurt my feelings a lot. About 8 months ago, they all had to build speakers, without the right instructions.

After buying wood, the right tools, sub woofers, etc..not even one students' speakers produced a sound. The shite's still sitting somewhere in the house and takes up space.

Cheers-

Last edited: 23 Sep 2016
    marcusb likes this.
  2. Ajarn Greg

Ajarn Greg Well-Known Member

An on-line school, which is permitted by Thai laws, could be a solution to your problem.

sirchai likes this.
  3. sirchai

I've got huge health problems that the doctors even prescribe morphine for my artificial knee joint,go for my Diploma in T Education, my wife has got some serious health issues and the school's trying to screw me up and down.

Plus writing tests and and and....thanks for the advice. Life sometimes sucks.

P.S. The system is so weird that I don't find the right words now.

4. chuachinsoon

chuachinsoon Well-Known Member

In Thailand, students are allocated a place at a school based on their place of residence. That is based on their house registration, not where they physically live. So yeah, I know of people who register their children in a city with a relative just so they could go to a good school there. No need for them to pay a school entrance 'fee'. Thereafter, it's based on who you know and money, etc.

marcusb likes this.
  5. tiredtony

tiredtony Well-Known Member

I know it's rough, but it makes sense really for kids to study in the province they are registered in.

6. po3try

po3try Well-Known Member

..or go for a private school where you just pay an entrance fee.

7. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

thanks for the warning

Last edited: 24 Sep 2016
  8. Hey_ewe

Hey_ewe Well-Known Member

This is common in the UK too. Schools have catchment areas, some of the better state schools are very difficult to get into and some wealthy parents have been known to buy or rent second houses so that they can get their kids into a school as it can work out cheaper than private school fees and you have a house to sell at the end of it. They sometimes have lucky dip or lotto in Thailand for the students who live outside the catchment areas.

Here in Thailand, based on my own experience and speaking very generally, the private schools are not as good as the government schools, hence the competition. In my opinion this is because they are run as businesses, not as educational institutes. In my city there is a private school with an absolutely beautiful campus and fantastic facilities. They have spent hundreds of millions, if not billions on the bricks and motor but they chose to skimp on teaching staff. They treat the teachers, Thai and Foreign like crap, they are given 10 days a year of leave, which is unpaid. They then wonder why they have such a high turnover of staff, hmm what is it about being treated like slaves that these foreigners don't like?! The same goes for the McDonalds of education - sarasas, although they don't seem to care about losing staff.

9. sirchai

Our son is registered in a village. Sisaket province, but we're living in the city since we moved to Isaan.

The village kids don't have a chance to get into a school in the same province if they're not registered in the city where the school's located.

And the joke is that we're actually living in the city. Another insanity is the health system. Wife and son are in a village house book of her parents and the village belongs to Sisaket province.

She can't just go to the Sisaket hospital where we're living, she has to go to a town called Uthumphon Phisai, that's close to her village where I'm working, which is 25 km away from Sisaket. If that's not insane then I don't know.

The hospital is well known for a very high death rate, bad doctors and even when the SS laws state that you can take your wife into your SS insurance, but that doesn't work for us ( male) foreigners.

The SS law is "written by the King of Thailand," but there seems to be a different measurement when it comes to male foreigners. It's like the cast system in India.You just can't..........

It only works when a Thai teacher marries a foreigner, then he's got full coverage.

10. sirchai

Two years ago when I made a seminar for all employees of our educational area office, I found some weird things out that make absolutely no sense to me.

Regarding them, private schools also receive a huge amount of cash from the government, the strange vocational College in the town where I'm working is subsidized with 80 % of money coming from the Thai government. Being a tax payer in this country, I'm basically also paying for such nonsense.

Same goes for a private Chinese school that runs from Kindergarten to M 3. ( Or P 6?, sorry forgot)
    80 % of their total expenses is coming from the Thai government. The quality of teachers is in no way better than at government schools.

Thai teachers have a work load of up to 34 hours/week and a shitty salary.

I also held a seminar for the whole staff of this college and was very surprised to hear so many strange things that it's really incredible.

11. chuachinsoon

It's not just province. It can be the residential address has to be within 1-2 km of a school.

12. sirchai

WE live about 1,500 meters away from both schools.

13. chuachinsoon

House registration? If it's not in a house registration, no deal, even if you've lived next door to the school for five years. Thailand's bureaucracy values paper documents more than real physical evidence.

14. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

how long have you lived near the school?

15. sirchai

That I can't get my wife into my SS's really annoying me. I've read the SS law up and down and it says that all who pay in have the right to put their family in.

My wife has very serious disease and needs to travel 50 km when she needs to see a doctor. "

She'd have to pay the full amount at the Sisaket hospital. And we live basically just around the corner.

Sorry, for the off topic post, but if anybody knows how to get your wife in the SS, I'd be more than happy.

Why is it no problem for a Thai teacher who marries a foreigner?

It shows how welcome we really are. And the SS number they give us doesn't even exist in their computer system.

They give all of us a number that's nowhere registered. Isn't that a criminal offense?

I feel less attracted to Thailand from week to week. No sorry, from day to day, to be honest.