1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

And yet, another gnubie

Discussion in 'Welcome Newbies' started by Zacharia Mouche, 19 Jun 2015.

1. Zacharia Mouche

Zacharia Mouche Thread Starter New Member

Hello all,
    My name is Zach and I will be teaching somewhere in Phayao Province. Nice to be here. Z

2. Mister T

Mister T Retired, fat and happy

:welcome2 welcome Zach, tell us a bit about you. Where from, where been, what you expect from teaching here. :cheers

3. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

Hi and good Luck.

4. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

5. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

Somewhere in Pha Yao?

How did you choose Pha Yao?

6. Zacharia Mouche

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I am from the Republic of Texas and I ended up in Phayao via my wife. I hope to find materials in both English and Thai, as I would never be able to learn Thai without some English telling me what it is. So far all I have seen is English teaching English, nothing in both. Are those materials available or is it something that has to be made as needed? Thanks, Z

7. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

I am from the California Republic and have so far resisted my wife's efforts to relocate in her home province.

For Thai self study, there's the venerable Fundamentals of Thai. This might work for you because your wife will be at you side. DK also has/had a book and cassette tape set.

Benjawan Poomsan Becker has a series, with and without cassettes, of Thai language books. They teach written Thai as well.

Pimsleur Thai is available on Pirate Bay.

I assume that Living Language offers Thai, but I didn't notice it on the aforementioned torrent site just now.

8. Zacharia Mouche

Thanks for the reply. Actually I am looking for book(s) in English with Thai subtitles in order to make it easier for Thai students to understand English. By the way, I'm really glad I moved where I did (we built a house right behind her folks, right in the middle of the naa. But then...it is only her, and one sister with 2 daughters [our nieces] and their mom and dad...no overly extended family). Z

9. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

What do you mean with that? I always thought that subtitles applied to movies. :confused

10. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

I have seen dual language flashcards (and multilingual) at DK books. They have a picture of a fruit (or any noun) and the word in English and Thai. However, you need someone who can read Thai script.

I saw a book when I first got here that was written in English and in Thai dealing with Thai/ non-Thai romance.

There are some some phrase books and the like that include 'karaoke script' in lieu of Thai. These might be helpful as a way of learning Thai whilst teaching the same phrases to Thais.

But about the only Thai you really need to know teaching the first year is 'Arai Wa?' because you will hear this more than all other Thai phrases combined the first year.

11. Cal Roy

Cal Roy Well-Known Member

Se Ed books has a number of Oxford Press books with both English and Thai. They are ain all the malls and usually with Big C and Tesco.
    Just avoid singing PhaYo PhaYo its off to teach we go.

12. Zacharia Mouche

Thanks Cal Roy for that info. I've heard McMillian press has some bi-lingual books, as well. Now just to find them. And not to worry about the singing....I leave that to a professional 5-5-5. Z

13. trnwrk

trnwrk Well-Known Member

This was just given to me by a colleague.

Attached Files:

bahn_farang likes this.
  14. Zacharia Mouche

Thank you so much. I appreciate that. It is looking like I will just have to assemble a book on my own. I will certainly reference you. Is there any other information on who put this together? I don't use other peoples work without asking first. I am only trying to make teaching English a little easier and have no intentions of selling books about it. It will be used exclusively in my classrooms. Again thanks for that link. Z

15. trnwrk

trnwrk Well-Known Member

I have no details on the authorship. Do with it what you like. I have not proofed it. So you may want to give it a once over before you construct a book or start to teach with. If you do put a book together, please put it up on this site.