1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Application for teacher's license knocked back

Discussion in 'Teacher Licensing (TCT)' started by nonphixion, 7 Feb 2016.

1. nonphixion

nonphixion Thread Starter Member

I graduated from the PGCE(i) in December, received my certificate in January and went to the teacher's council during the week to apply for the five year license.

All of my paperwork was in order except for one critical piece - it turns out the director of my school does not hold a director's license and so my application was refused.

I am currently on my 3rd waiver and I plan to leave my school at the end of my contract at the end of March. I have a new job lined up but obviously this is going to cause an issue if I can't get a license as it means I won't be able to get a new Non-B visa / work permit and also I won't be able to get a teacher's license without a valid visa / work permit when I change schools.

I was in a bit of shock when I got knocked back as I wasn't expecting something so ridiculous to crop up so I completely forgot to inquire about 4th waivers etc. Is there any possibility that I can receive a 4th waiver when I start the new job? And also are you actually required to hold a visa and work permit in order to apply for the teaching license?

Thanks in advance for any help!

professeur likes this.
  2. po3try

po3try Well-Known Member

obviously there is no yes or no answer to this as the application process is random at times but i think you'll be fine in my experience. I think they'd give you a 4th waiver and then you can apply for the license.

it does depend on your new schools relationship with the people taking waivers i guess.

I'm on my 4th waiver as far as i can tell :bye

3. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

Does the school director where you are heading hold a director's license? If so, file for the waiver with the exact docs required for a TL. Once you have been at the new school apply for the TL. That should satisfy the requirements there. I can't imagine being refused a waiver if you have the education requirements for a TL already.

4. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

can't you apply with the new schools documents?

Last edited: 7 Feb 2016
  5. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

^I think the issue is you have to work at a school for a year (1 year exp at a thai school). The school that would have qualified him for the TL has an unqualified director rendering moot the point. If the new school has a properly credentialed director, then the 1 year exp will be valid when applying for the TL. At least that is how I read it.

6. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

The requirement is that you have 1 year of teaching experience in Thailand.
    It does NOT have to be at your current school but the school does have to have been properly registered and licensed and current (at the time of your employment) as a formal school (OBEC or OPEC) as compared to an informal or non-formal school.

OP - 4th waivers are certainly possible if you meet all the other requirements for licensure or what should happen is that you find the job and simply apply for the license based on the new job rather than apply for a waiver.

• Get job.
    • Get letter from local education office to get non-b visa.
    • Get visa.
    • Apply for license - pending work permit rather than waiver (get letter from TCT showing license application accepted).
    • Get work permit.
    • Back to TCT to show work permit.
    • Extend visa.
    • License appears in the main a couple months later.
    • MAKE sure you do 40 hours (up from the previous requirement of 20 hours) of pro-D per year to keep the license.

Last edited: 8 Feb 2016
  7. nonphixion

Thank you very much for your very helpful replies

Just one major question for ttompatz

• Will I definitely be able to apply for a visa for the new school before I get the teaching waiver / license on the basis of my educational qualifications or is it something I need to get before I apply for the visa?

8. portnoy58

portnoy58 Well-Known Member

Nightmare nonphixion, my commiserations. However thanks for the post and the heads-up on this as a potential issue. I haven't applied yet as I am still waiting to get the certificate. ( I opted for the extra couple of days in order to submit Assignment 4 according to the original deadline date). Official confirmation of award and grade is due later this month and the physical document is due next month when I shall apply for my licence. Is this a new set of rules or has it always been in place?

professeur likes this.
  9. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

does anyone else hear an echo? or perhaps TTP is not aware that a is an indefinite article ...

10. ttompatz

Yes, you can apply for the visa.
    The chicken & egg issue will come when the school/you apply for the work permit/license.
    Work permit requires the license. License requires the work permit. A provisional waiver may be needed to bridge the gap but since you will be applying for a license immediately upon receipt of the work permit the 4th provisional should be a non-issue. They are trying to get rid of the backpacker teachers not trained teachers.

11. professeur

professeur Well-Known Member

Wow; so apart from the usual change of rules and surprise requirements our TL apparently now also seem to depend on whether the school-director is licensed or not; this teacher licensing is becoming an increasingly slippery slope.

What is going to happen to the director; is he getting the sack for playing boss without the proper paperwork?

12. ttompatz

That depends on the school license type.

If the school is a formal school under the Private School Act (OPEC) or a public school under OBEC and licensed as such then the director is in violation of the PSA and education acts and subject to prosecution (or paying significant bribes to avoid prosecution and closure).

If the school is an "informal school" or an "alternative school" (as defined in the Education Act and Private School Act) then the teacher is not working at a formal school and is not entitled to licensure (working at a formal school and having a valid work permit as a teacher are the usual requirements for licensure).

13. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

:laughing5:laughing5:lmao:lmao

Top marks for irony!

14. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

There is something horribly amiss in this scenario. Far be it from me to suggest that the school type - not the director's qualifications - would be subject to scrutiny if the school were an alternative or informal school.

There is an informal school here where the school was threatened with closure as its existence violated one of three 'pillars' of the current government. Short story long, the school continues to operate, WITH teachers who have gotten WPs and waivers. However, even if the director of this informal school were to be licensed to be a school director, the foreigners working for him would not be able to get a TL until they taught in 'proper' Thai schools (public or private). Accounting for different laws subject to different interpretations throughout the kingdom, it is hard to imagine this being up for debate - though some over-inflated self-aggrandizing person might seek to do just that.

That the issue is with the director smacks of either the school or KSP simply not wishing to license the teacher (the school perhaps because the teacher is leaving has nothing to gain by allowing the teacher to get his TL, especially if it is not all hugs and kisses as he exits the building).

KSP can hardly tell the difference between a legit and a dodgy degree, yet they know (and allow to practice) an unqualified director?? Me thinks not!

15. nonphixion

It is a large private school and I honestly have a feeling that the person who has given themselves the title of Director probably doesn't even realize about the license issue. I brought it up with my department head who just seemed a bit embarrassed about it and suggested that I wait as someone else will be taking on the role of director at the start of the next academic year but obviously I won't be here for that. I have put in inquiries elsewhere at the school as I have a suspicion that there must be someone in upper management that holds a director's license or else it seems that the school is playing a very dangerous game.

The school don't know that I am leaving yet and I have a solid reputation here so there is no reason why they would not help me apply for the license. I plan on going to KSP again next week to inquire about the 4th waiver when I change schools or to see if there is any way around the director's license issue.

Thanks for all of the replies, they have been very helpful. Please keep them coming if anyone has anymore insight on the issue.