1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Applying for a 4th waiver - loooking for advice

Discussion in 'Teacher Licensing (TCT)' started by Jon, 13 Jul 2016.

1. Jon

Jon Thread Starter New Member

Looking for advice. I am working in a private school in Chiang Mai and have been teaching in this school for 10 years. I have a non education related degree and a TESOL qualification. I have completed the Thai Culture course and passed two of the Professional Knowledge tests before they stopped being available. I am on my third waiver and this expires in March of next year. Unfortunately I have not done any post graduate courses due to a lack of funds, a family to support and the fact that I am nearing retirement age. The girl from our admin office has talked to KSP here in Chaing Mai and they have said they have not and will not issue a 4th waiver to anyone. When she mentioned that I had read on a forum that someone had got a 4th waiver, they were skeptical and wanted proof. I was hoping that with a letter from the School Director saying he wants me to continue working here and evidence of the various in house professional development seminars I have attended, I might be able to get a 4th waiver. I am interested in whether anyone in a similar situation to myself has received a 4th waiver and any advice or guidance will be greatly appreciated.

2. kruhjoe

kruhjoe Well-Known Member

Last edited: 13 Jul 2016
  3. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

:welcome2

I'm sure your TCT contact person in Chiang Mai can verify the authenticity of the screen shots posted below.

Capture_100_edit.jpg

Capture_99_EDIT.jpg

There are also some threads on Thailand Teaching about teaching in OBEC schools as a guest-speaker, lecturer or assistant. Doing so, the TCT requirements might not apply.

sirchai likes this.
  4. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

Could you please post the link?

5. Stamp

Link to what, sirchai?

6. Jon

Jon Thread Starter New Member

Thanks for the replies, I will get on with it now.

7. sirchai

Sorry, I meant the one to check your status, but found it already, plus some other information. It seems they do check on older passport numbers now? It looks like....

คุรุสภา ( to check your status)

And here:

Doesn't that mean once you've got 10 + years experience that there're ways to get one?

• Hold Bachelor’s degree or higher in Education field or
    • Hold Bachelor’s degree in other fields + teaching experience of not less than 5 years or
    Hold lower than Bachelor’s degree + teaching experience of not less than 10 years
    • License holder must supply reasonable documentation of not less than 3 professional development
    activities during the 5-year validity period of the license

1. Completed Application Form (KS 02) and Qualification Declaration Form (KS 02.10) with a 1-inch photo
    attached; the school director examine the accuracy and approve that the license holder meets the
    qualification
    2. Copy of all pages of passport, the present NON-B Visa in particular

***In case the license holder has changed his/her passport book, in the application form please write the
    old passport number also

Example Passport No. XX2550000 (XX2777700)
    (current passport no.) (old passport no.)
    3. Copy of all pages of work permit
    4. Copy of Employment contract
    5. Copy of documents/ certificates of not less than 3 professional development activities during the 5-year
    validity period of the license as identified on the application form
    6. Fee payment receipt: 200 Baht

Note: Applicants must certify true copy of all documents

Doesn't that mean once you've got 10 + years experience that there're ways to get one?

Is that a new "regulation?"

Source: คุรุสภา

8. sirchai

Jon, you're not the one from Alaska who worked at SKW/ Sisaket many moons ago, right???

If the director/ assistant/ HoD knows anybody from Khurusapha, you'll get a fourth one, regardless what they're telling you in CM.

Another way where you'll get your 4th for sure would be to sign up for the Ifugao Dip Ed.

I believe that a confirmation letter that you've enrolled will be enough, should they make you some problems.

I'm in the middle of doing one and they sent me a letter without a problem, before everything even started.

Please page me if you want the address of the woman in charge. Best of luck !!!

BTW, welcome to this forum, some nice guys around.

9. Stamp

Nope. This is the old but current regulation for the renewal of the teacher license. This thread is about a first teacher license, not a renewal.

The 10+ years experience rules apply to both Thai and foreign teachers who were grandfathered because they were officially working as a teacher before the Teacher and Education Personnel Act 2003 became law back in 2003.

sirchai likes this.
  10. sirchai

Thanks a lot for the fast response. Yep, I remember well when I had to sent all my stuff to the TCT plus 500 baht and they changed the laws. I was only four months too late to be grandfathered. That was in 2005.

11. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Well-Known Member

I taught for almost two years without a license--at a university in Thailand. No one told me to get a license, and no one mentioned that is was important. I did not know that they existed until I came to this website.

12. portnoy58

portnoy58 Well-Known Member

David you do not need a license to teach at a university. Universities are not covered by the Teachers Council of Thailand.

DavidUSA likes this.
  13. Stamp

Yep. The TCT requirements apply to basic education schools only. i.e. Grade 1 to Grade 12.

14. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Well-Known Member

Good to know.