1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Applying for Full Teaching License

Discussion in 'Teacher Licensing (TCT)' started by portnoy58, 17 Mar 2016.

1. portnoy58

portnoy58 Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Notification just received from Nottingham that my PGCEi certificate is in the post so time to get ready to apply for a full license. I do not take it as a foregone conclusion that I will be granted it as my first degree is an old Scottish 'ordinary' degree and so it may give TCT the option of declining my application. However it's sufficed so far for three waivers so maybe it will work again. We shall see....

More practically is there an up-to-date list of what I need to do to secure this license? I'd be grateful if you could guide me to it. Many thanks and of course I'll keep you up to date with progress.

GanDoonToonPet likes this.
  2. GanDoonToonPet

GanDoonToonPet Well-Known Member

AFAIK the rules haven't changed. I wouldn't worry about your UG degree as the confirmation letter is only needed for your highest degree. Nottingham issue these letters for a tenner if memory serves.

I assume you've done the culture course but do you have confirmation of 1 years teaching experience in a K-12 school? They were very fussy about this when I applied, stating it must show 365 days, be written on headed paper, signed by the director, with the official stamp / seal & be topped with jam.

portnoy58 likes this.
  3. portnoy58

Thx for your optimism GDTP. Well I have taught at the same school for seven years, soon to enter my eighth, so here's hoping I'll get a letter to confirm that.

Just on the point of the UG degree I won't need to produce anything confirming the award other than the certificate itself? Is that what you are saying. Confirmation from Nottingham of the PGCEi will suffice?

4. luibkk

luibkk Well-Known Member

FYI: My colleague is getting ready to apply for the license and she needs an evaluation form filled in which was given to her by Kurusapha . She needs 4 teachers and one administrator to evaluate her performance at school. This is new as I didn't need it 2 or 3 years ago. I'm afraid I can't get hold of the document atm and post it here since evrybody's on holiday already.

portnoy58 and Stamp like this.
  5. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

:chinrub

Thanks for your reply, luibkk.

6. portnoy58

Yeah Lui thanks for that - is it like a reference sort of thing or are they wanting lessons to be observed?

7. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

We just had several of our teachers get their "gold cards" over the last couple of months.

They needed to produce the degree, post grad cert with transcript showing 24 credit hours and the courses.
    They needed to produce a certificate for their Thai Language, Ethics and Culture course.

Other paperwork from you include: your passport with valid visa and extension, certificate of employment, valid work permit, proof of continued employment as a teacher (if you are not currently teaching they will not issue a license) ie contract.

There is also a list of Thai documents on the TCT website along with the application forms: คุรุสภา <-- left side menu under "foreign teacher".

portnoy58 and Mati like this.
  8. Mati

Mati Well-Known Member

I was lucky enough to get a 2 year work permit this time but will feel great to have a gold card ;)

9. GanDoonToonPet

BM nonphixion reported the same here last month:

Help - Application for teacher's license knocked back | Thailand Teaching Asia - Living and Teaching in Thailand

portnoy58 likes this.
  10. GanDoonToonPet

11. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

12. tally

tally Active Member

Hello everyone,

recently received my Masters Degree transcript of records from FSU so I'm going to get down to KSP pretty soon to apply for my full teaching license.
    Could someone please explain what this "certificate of employment" mentioned above is? Is it an additional piece of paper? Who issues it?

Unsurprisingly enough, the KSP application form isn't very clear and dealing with them isn't particularly easy so I'd rather clarify a few issues before I go to see them :)

Many thanks in advance.

13. Ajarn Greg

Ajarn Greg Well-Known Member

Certificate of employment could be your work contract or a letter from school. Make sure that it will be showing that you have at least one year's teaching experience in Thailand.

14. tally

tally Active Member

Cheers pal, that would be fine. I guess I was/am confused as Message #7 seems to imply that "certificate of employment" and "contract" are two separate, distinct documents.

15. Ajarn Greg

Ajarn Greg Well-Known Member

The best thing is to have a letter which confirms that you are currently employed by the school, your current salary and stating clearly the date that you have started to teach.