1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

British born English teacher swaps school life for orange robes to learn more about Thai Buddhism

Discussion in 'General News from Thailand' started by Ajarn P. Paul, 18 Mar 2017.

1. Ajarn P. Paul

Ajarn P. Paul Thread Starter มันเป็นวันที่น่าเศร้าในวันนี้ในประเทศไทย ...

A British man who has lived in Thailand for three years has decided to become a Thai monk during the school holidays.

Sebastian John Maw, 44, will be known as Jaruthamamo for the next three weeks.

And his arrival is causing quite a stir among the faithful in the rural sub-district of Nonburi in Sisaket where he was ordained to join the temple of Wat Trai Phoom.

Sebastian is normally an English teacher in Khon Kaen but school is out so he decided to further his Buddhist knowledge. He has been a Buddhist since he was 27 and living in England.

There he was a monk at Wat Tibet for five years where he studied the Tibetan branch of the religion.

But he wanted to know more about Thai Buddhism and when a close friend suggested he join the forest temple in Sisaket he jumped at the chance.

ที่สุดของชีวิต ขอเลือกทางนี้!!ครูภาษาหนุ่มเมืองผู้ดี ทิ้งชีวิตหรูสบายเดินหน้าสู่ทางธรรม บวชเป็นพระป่าที่กาฬสินธุ์

ENGLISH TEACHER BECOME A THAI MONK.jpg

2. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

Why is this news?

fred flintstone likes this.
  3. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

I'm living here 15 years and have never heard of such a place called Nonburi.

Nor is here the above-mentioned temple.

The guy's at a temple in Kalasin province, not in Sisaket.

" But he wanted to know more about Thai Buddhism and when a close friend suggested he join the forest temple in Sisaket he jumped at the chance."

"A close friend suggested...he jumped at the chance?" That's when you should stop reading.

I truly hope it's not another Nate.

4. fred flintstone

fred flintstone Well-Known Member

5. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

So he has to be a monk to learn about fairy tales? I have heard that books (you know the thingys with thin bits of wood in between two thicker bits of word with words printed on them) and even the ....whats the word I'm looking for... it's on the tip of my tongue.. it has lots of information and you need to type on a keyboard to get lots of facts and learning.. ahh yes the internet are both full of information about a whole bunch of things. The bloke is doing something he want to do fair play to the guy but surely it's a slow news day.