1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building a House in Thailand

Discussion in 'Residing in Thailand' started by DavidUSA, 3 Jul 2016.

1. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Thread Starter την σκαφην σκαφην λεγοντας

How to have a safe, well-built, and comfortable house in Thailand may seem too obvious to talk about. But I have noticed a lot of faulty wiring in housing that I have seen. Nuts. After speaking to several ex-pats who have built their own homes, I got the message: you have to do it yourself if you want it done right. So be it. I want to give this some thought and make sure that I have a house that makes sense, it built of high-quality materials, and is safe for kids.

The movement of heat in the house is important too, and I want to pick a design that makes sense. In Bangkok, these decisions might be easy and informed, but out where I plan to live in Isaan such ideas might not be that common. I want to incorporate the traditional Thai ideas of design with modern materials.

Windows and screens are a big deal, and I need to get smart about which ones to choose. Building blocks, insulation, roofing, wiring, the whole deal--I want to know what is what when the day comes to build my Thai house.

2. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

My wife built a very basic place for her parents. Both parents are deceased, so it's quite possible that we might live there on my meager social security (if SSA ever stops withholding benefits - it's now three times in the first year). A Thai spouse can simplify life.

My only advice is to borrow from a traditional Thai house and put the whole thing on posts so that a garage &/or patio is the first floor, and the first floor of the living area, with plumbing and electricity, is in fact the second floor.

This could spare you considerable inconvenience in the event of a flood.

DavidUSA and sirchai like this.
  3. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

We're living in a quite nice area of Sisaket where most houses are owned by banks.

David, why not buying an already existing house and make some changes of your choice?

If I had two million baht, I'd buy the house we're living in. A nice area, two carports in the shade, a bathroom in the master bedroom and plenty of other goodies.

It's in the city, but at a nice area with no traffic.

4. sirchai

Regarding the flooding problem, it's very easy to find out which areas are usually flooded in the rainy season. I got hit once, will never happen again.

5. Tonyja

Tonyja Well-Known Member

And what you have to remember is that people change as well. Throwing a few million at a house in Thailand is just something I would not do.
    Coming from someone that's had a couple of 7 year partnerships here that have both gone sour.
    But if you're going to do it there's plenty of Western builders here. Just make sure you're there all the time or half your cement and sand will go missing.

Mati likes this.
  6. DavidUSA

There is a lot about the traditional style that makes good sense. Also, I like the wooden floors in a traditional Thai house and the wooden paneling.

Last edited: 3 Jul 2016
  7. DavidUSA

Life in Thailand is already pretty relaxing! I think I should be able to build a decent house for a reasonable price, make it traditional and comfortable, and maybe even make it efficient. Putting it on posts is a good idea because there will then be a shady area underneath and help in case of a flood. I like Thai style. I think it can be really classy.

8. DavidUSA

Life in Thailand is already pretty relaxing! I think I should be able to build a decent house for a reasonable price, make it traditional and comfortable, and maybe even make it efficient. Putting it on posts is a good idea because there will then be a shady area underneath and help in case of a flood. I like Thai style. I think it can be really classy.

9. DavidUSA

10. sirchai

No matter where you're planning to build your house, please let me know when. Should it be in lower northeast, then I might be able to help you doing quite a few things.( Not that I want any money from you, to be clear on that)

The most important part is to find the right company, decent people you can trust. If there's anything I could be of help, please just send me a message.

I'm not interested in making a few baht by sending you to the right architect, or similar, if you know what I mean.

If you don't have the time and your Missus is too busy playing cards ( I'm joking) you really need somebody to be there 24/7 who's authorized to make a decision within a nano second.

No Lhao Kao during working hours allowed should be first rule, even knowing that a lot of them are only good when drunk.

I hope you don't forget to invite me for your fest. Hang in there, the Chinese days seem to be counted when reading your posts.

Your home is in Thailand, dude. Cheers-

11. sirchai

A short chat with some locals and you know if that's a dangerous area. The area underneath is usually used by Thais during the day time to have a place in the shade, so you better plan a carport right next to it.

And before you even think of buying some land, make your investigations regarding the hood !!

You could easily end up being in the middle of the Bronx....Have a good one,.-- :go10

12. DavidUSA

That sounds good.

13. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

A Thai wife can simplify things = she speaks the local contractor's language, knows the local customs, and might avoid the farang surcharge.

14. marcusb

marcusb Active Member

I don't know if we can mention other forums on here, feel free to delete if its breaking rules.
    There have been a couple really good threads on homebuilding on the Udonmap forum. Start to finish including what worked well, what was a headache.

15. po3try

po3try Well-Known Member

we bought a new-build house so it was just a shell and we could decorate it how we liked. Not much maneuverability on the layout but nice to pick our own furnishings.

[​IMG]

Tonyja, Mati and Stamp like this.