1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can people really fail in certain degree "upgrade courses"?

Discussion in 'Qualifications & Courses' started by sirchai, 6 Oct 2016.

1. sirchai

sirchai Thread Starter Well-Known Member

It happens from time to time that you receive a post that wasn't really for you and it's possible that you might have a look what others are doing.

That's how I saw a for me shocking assignment. Please see attached file. Name of student, name of institution, etc, are removed and irrelevant to my question.

Has anybody here on this forum heard of people who fail an upgrade course of their degree?

It's not my intention to badmouth anybody, neither the person who wrote the part, nor any existing institutions.

I'm only asking because I think that I'm really working hard and do my researches, before I start to write them down. Of course double checking all, before I send them in.

Is it possible that those people also pass and finally receive a full TL?

Your input would be deeply appreciated. Here's the question the applicant had to answer:

How would you apply the theories you have learned from this subject in your real life situation as a teacher in the classroom? 3-5 pages excluding the cover page.

Here's a part of the guy's answer. I only took a few sentences as an example to protect the writer and the institution as well.

Here we go:

ANSWER:

As many years of teaching and years of life experience in teaching, I realize that:

Teaching in teaching Thailand is very difficult and it need more hard work.

My first job was to teach science from grade 7 to 9 and I use the method of my country to teach and after my teaching hours I was class by my administrators and they advise me ant taught me some method that I can use it to tech. After, some mouth the studies enjoy my class activities.

Now, my current position in teaching is to Teach English and Science in grade one (1) - three (3) respectively.

My kids ages race from Six(6) to Nine (9) years old and since I’m more older than them, I reduce myself to their limit so that they may understand me and can also be friend with me. My classroom is not much large and their populations are race from Twenty Seven (27) to Thirty five in each class’s base on the class. Because the class is arrange from Grade 1/1 to 4, grade 2/1 to 4 and grade 3/1 to 4 respectively.

One Thai Teacher is assign to go with me to class to explain some difficult words and to control the kids while learning under process.

Edited to add: This is the original text and nothing was changed by me.

2. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

I personally know several people who have undertaken an M.Ed or PhD program while here and have either failed courses or failed out altogether. That doesn't include the 40% or so who never actually complete their thesis or dissertation to graduate.

sirchai likes this.
  3. sirchai

Thanks for your reply. Actually, I was more on about Diplomas to upgrade your existing BA into something that's currently accepted by Khurusapha to get the license to continue working or for newbies.

When you read the assignment of an unknown guy, would you as a Dr. or Professor really accept the writing?

Sorry, it's not in my interest to post more, I was only shocked about some assignments that could have been written by my 9 year old Saturday morning student, with less mistakes.

4. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

I know the particular course you are referring to. I witnessed first hand the level of some of the work being submitted and yes, a lot was of a shocking standard. However, its not in your interest to make a song and dance about it. I would just concentrate on your own work. The situation with teachers licences/courses being offered to meet the requirements is such a headache that, I would just thank your lucky stars theres a relatively painless and pretty cheap way to get around it. Let people dig their own graves.

sirchai likes this.
  5. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

I think SirChai that with your course that anybody will succeed as long as they complete the said coursework. To me, and sorry to the people here on TT in advance who have already completed this course, it's a cash cow and far from rocket science ... but it is a means to an end and cheaply so.

sirchai likes this.
  6. sirchai

I'd like to thank you for your honest answer. :thumbs up

7. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Goodluck with it. I finished the course earlier this year. I put in the work....did I learn that much?? mmmmm after teaching here for more than 13 years I didnt really find it offered too much. However, I did try to put in a decent effort into the assignments. It was also good to go into Bangkok and meet fellow teachers. All in all it served its purpose............

I hope.

sirchai likes this.