1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cert of HE in Education studies

Discussion in 'Qualifications & Courses' started by Tonyja, 9 Jun 2016.

1. Tonyja

Tonyja Thread Starter Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of taking this distance course with the Open university (UK). Its 120 credits and is equivalent to the 1st third of an honors degree. Will it be enough to satisfy the powers that be for now? By enrolling on the course would I be able to get a WP?

2. portnoy58

portnoy58 Well-Known Member

In the final analysis every application for a teacher's licence, which in turn leads to the issue of a non-B visa and then the WP, is considered on its individual merits. It's getting the licence that opens the door. The Nottingham PGCEi, for instance, does not of itself guarantee the licence. It is true that many with this qualification have obtained a licence and then have managed to get a WP etc. One thing I picked up is that the fact that Nottingham and Ifugao 'graduates' have attended some sort of physical classes, although the amount is starkly different, is critical to the TCT decision to accept these courses for the purpose of accreditation. They do not seem to be quite so amenable to accepting 100% online study courses. Sorry I can't be more specific than this.

3. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

I think the WP will not be forthcoming Tony based on enrollment to a third of an honours degree ... just sayin as the folk who were/are doing 'that' degree in BKK do so on an ED visa whilst working and as we know there is no WP on the ED visa with this. But its a start Tony and go and do all three thirds and do it in Education ....a Bed akaik does suffice for full TL or it did, umm over to folk who know more on that one. Easy Tony xxx GBG.

4. Tonyja

Indeed, looking further into the open university option it seems better just to complete a couple of education modules. It's 2700 pounds per 60 credit module so not cheap, but ok if it suffices. I'm probably going to do a CELTA as well if thats worth the merit.

5. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

Blimey ! So it would work out to over 16000 quid to complete the B ed and over 3 years min. Doing 120 credits in a year on top of working is no easy task. When I was a lad I completed 2 units with OU and totally burnt me out on top of a 60 hour working week ...gave up half way through the third. Mind you back in the mid 80's it was a tad over 300 quid a module ...6 modules for ordinary degree and 8 with honours ...yes I know the structure has changed now but its still hard to do and I found full time Uni so much easier. Good luck Tony but it is an option to do and would be good for your future.

sirchai likes this.
  6. Tonyja

Yes, it's a tad pricey. Another thing now is that Australia have started charging a huge flat fee for inter students in HE. $40,000 Aussie..ridiculous.

7. Hey_ewe

Hey_ewe Well-Known Member

Education has become a big business and overseas students are a huge boost for universities, mainly because they can charge them more money. Many UK universities are actively attracting overseas students, particularly from China and increasingly Thailand . The university of Nottingham has a Campus in Malaysia and China.

I am sure some would argue that the home students might suffer as a result. I'm not sure where I stand on this but as I have seen with my own eyes, we are not talking about a handful of students, we are talking about tens of thousands of students.

8. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

Only reading your post gave me such a headache. If anybody's capable of doing that, I take off my hat.