1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPT vs. PGCE - Which one?

Discussion in 'Qualifications & Courses' started by bd598, 16 Mar 2017.

1. bd598

bd598 Thread Starter New Member

leeds beckett PGCE distance learning

New Era University vem edu ph

I have been looking at the two programs above, and was wondering if they're both up to scratch with the TTC. I definitely have to do something else as my MA in TEFL was rejected for the 5 year gold card.

Could you please share your usual insightful thoughts? Thanks in advance.

NB: I'm not qualified for the PCU Dip. from St. Roberts because I'm currently doing a different program with them.

Sorry can't post links.

2. bd598

Screenshots of both programs.

Screen Shot 2017-03-16 at 7.48.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-16 at 7.49.14 PM.png

3. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

Leeds Beckett is that Leeds Poly?

4. bd598

It's supposed to be a uni

Screenshot 2017-03-17 at 09.49.54.png

5. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

thanks i will take a look

6. bd598

You're welcome.

7. Hey_ewe

Hey_ewe Well-Known Member

Yes, Leeds Beckett used to be known as Leeds Metropolitan University and Leeds Polytechnic. It's a real bricks and mortar university and a recognised UK degree awarding body. I haven't heard of New Era or a CPT.

8. bd598

It was the one linked to unitefl Chiang Mai, which was discussed here in the past.

Hey_ewe likes this.
  9. Hey_ewe

As far as international recognition Leeds Beckett would be recognised everywhere.

You should note that although it is a distance learning, you need to have the teaching practice element to be awarded QTS. It looks like a course aimed at Teaching Assistants who want to become a qualified teachers whilst still working as a TA, so they do their teaching practice and assessments in their own school.

10. bd598

"you could clarify if you are working in a teaching role at the moment and that when you start the course you would have access to the required mentoring and guidance from your school which would allow you to successfully complete the course. If you are in a current teaching role we would require you to provide a letter of reference from your employer which confirms that you will have access to mentoring and the support of your employer"

I don't think they mentioned that I'd have to do a teaching practicum.

It's attractive at 1,500 quid, but I'd have to know what the other one would cost to decide which one to pursue. It's just for the gold card.

Hey_ewe likes this.
  11. Hey_ewe

Absolutely, £1500 is a bargain. I have no knowledge of New Era but I'd probably go for the Leeds course. It will have the required education units for the gold card. I only wish it had been available before I took the St Roberts DipEd course.

On their website it says "We work with School Centred Initial Teacher Training providers (SCITTs) to offer our PGCE. In the coming year we will be working with Wakefield Regional Partnership for ITT and Rochdale Pioneers Partnership." That normally means your teaching practice. Not just any school can assess you and recommend you for QTS.

That said, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that they'd accept a Thai school's assessment of you, perhaps to meet the requirements of the course but not necessarily going all the way to QTS status. I know that in the past, some international schools have supported their teachers through a PGCE and then applying for QTS.

Any decent course should offer or require some assessment of your classroom teaching ability. Even the St Roberts course requires a senior Thai teacher to assess you.

Well worth checking out and great to have another university providing a PGCE course.

Good luck!

12. bd598

Thanks a lot Hey_ewe.

Hey_ewe likes this.