1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did I miss something...? (transferring cancelled passport info into new passport)

Discussion in 'Visas and extensions of stay' started by DigitalGypsy, 29 Feb 2016.

1. DigitalGypsy

DigitalGypsy Thread Starter Well-Known Member

So,

I took a visit to my local immigration office today, with my cancelled passport, my spanking new passport, and also a letter from my embassy kindly instructing the recipient to transfer my non-imm B visa and immigration stamp into my new passport.

There was an initial bout of questioning regarding my embassy letter, asking me if it was an original (it clearly was..) and if so why was the embassy stamp black and not blue (..how the f__K should I know..?). I then had to show him the receipt that I had kept (by luck) when picking up my passport.

After the bout of nonsense and faffing was over I thought all was complete until said officer leans over and in a hushed voice states that the fee is 500 baht, and that no receipt would be available....

My immediate thought was a noun, starting with C and ending with a harsh T.

As far as I'm aware this service is free, anyone else experience this kind of nonsense recently? Getting tired of the carry-on around these parts lately....:angry4

DG

2. DigitalGypsy

P.S. Is there any way to edit the thread title (I can't see any option..?), that typo is annoying me..

DG

3. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

500 baht no receipt ...lol. Afaik it is a free service. Did the same in 2010 and no problem and no fee. Times are hard for the officials with the big man banging down on "some" corruption.

4. Ajarn Greg

Ajarn Greg Well-Known Member

I did it last week for the second time... Original letter, passports and copies of the old and new passport. All done in 10 minutes... Rayong Immigration.

5. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

Connecticut, coconut, cumquat, sorry but i'm struggling to think of the noun you talk about.

6. DigitalGypsy

Carrot

bahn_farang likes this.
  7. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

and i thought you meant ...

8. Hey_ewe

Hey_ewe Well-Known Member

I have heard of a similar 'fee' in my local immigration office also without a receipt. It should be free so this sounds like a blatant scam to me, however it's always a fine balancing act, if you stand your ground they could make life very difficult for you.

This country actually seems to be getting worse, as far as corruption goes.

9. GanDoonToonPet

GanDoonToonPet Well-Known Member

I did the same a year ago at CW in Bangkok & the 'service' was free although rather pointless. I obtained a new passport whilst on holiday in the UK & arrived in BKK with blank passport but...

...at CW they transferred the original entry stamp, B visa, extension & re-entry permit stamps (along with a large explanatory stamp) to my new passport.

My extension expired a month after that so I had to go to Laos & get a single entry (stupid me) TR visa. However, I could only find agency work (sans WP) so after extending that I had to go back to Laos for a double entry TR. :angry4

I'm now the proud owner of a 1 year old passport with 12 used pages. :yes

Had I known then what I know now I would have taken the bus down to Hull to get a triple entry TR whilst back in the UK, just as my colleague did a few months after me. :bye

What a stupid cunt I am! :smiling

10. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

11. Hey_ewe

Hey_ewe Well-Known Member

I had my passport pages wasted a few years ago, because of the laziness, incompetence and spite of an admin who dealt with our work permits and visas. I went through my passport much quicker than I would have done otherwise, so an extra 9000 baht to get a new one. I had to go to Cambodia every 90 days which took a full page plus the Thai entry and exit stamps. I was not impressed with the cost going to the border every 90 days and then having to buy a new passport...fortunately the cost of transferring the B visa into the new passport was free at that time.

I have also heard of this demand for a letter from the embassy, to say you have been issued a new passport, which I believe requires a trip to your embassy in Bangkok. So, a state of the art biometric, ID chipped passport is no good, unless its accompanied by a crappy piece of A4 paper with an ink stamp?.....blue not black! International bad guys incorporated are going to go to the lengths of forging a passport, that scans into their database, but they can't forge an A4 letter and stamp? Sorry evil minions halt the plans, we're out of blue ink!

For F$%& sake how moronic, imbecilic and thick headed of a bureaucracy can you get? In a battle of wits we are dealing with the unarmed!!

DigitalGypsy likes this.
  12. Teacher MARK

Teacher MARK Banned

Just pay the 500 baht and be done with it.

13. DigitalGypsy

Yes, Daddy. I'm sorry, How stupid of me to assert an opinion on moral values...

Accept it. Right. Because that's the solution... that'll fix everything here. Just sit back, submit to exploitation, submit to lies, deceit, greed, xenophobia, and blatant pig-headedness...

Erm, no. I'd rather open a dialogue about it. Like I just did. I'd like to find out if this is a consistent annoyance across the board, or did I fall foul of an isolated and idiotic incident.

Wasn't it Einstein that said "unthinking respect for authority is the enemy of truth?"

Tut tut. And you a teacher too :nope

What country are you from, may I ask? Was it built on such principles? :go2

14. Teacher MARK

Teacher MARK Banned

Well, I'm just too old to rage against the machine.
    It's a little bit naughty but I don't care.

Little bureaucrats can make your life insufferable anywhere you go.
    Thailand doesn't have a monopoly on corruption and inefficiency.

And corruption works both ways - very often in favor of us.
    I can think of many instances in my 15 years in Thailand where a little corruption has paid off for me very well.

So, there you have it. I have extended the dialogue on this topic.
    Did I do OK?

15. portnoy58

portnoy58 Well-Known Member

It's one of those where you are damned if you do and you're damned if you don't. Difficult situation really to evaluate. Nobody has tried to do me for a while, but last time a BIB attempted to extort a 'fine' out of me for an imaginary violation at a toll booth in BKK. For reasons I don't know I very angrily put my hands out of the window and shouted at him to handcuff me, saying something like 'come on, let's go'. He looked into my truck, smiled at my wife and two kids and told me I could go. I have to say I felt better for standing up to this BIB but I do recognise I might have landed myself in a lot of bother as well as well as taking a good hiding. It's much more insidious dealing with Immigration because the likelihood is you'll have to deal with the same office again and very likely the same officer. I presume you bit your tongue and paid the dosh....