1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Do I need to have 5 months visa or more to issue TL?

Discussion in 'Teacher Licensing (TCT)' started by Ajarn Greg, 2 Aug 2016.

1. Ajarn Greg

Ajarn Greg Thread Starter Well-Known Member

I have an argument with my EP secretary and as I have never faced before this issue I would appreciate some additional information. The case has as follows:

I have my papers ready to apply for a full teaching licence in Thailand. My current third waiver and visa will expire at the end of September. I have requested from School to submit my papers to Kurusapha.
    However the secretary of the EP insists that I need to obtain a 4th waiver and extend my visa by signing a new contract now for one more year with the school.
    She finds everyday a new excuse in order to postpone the application of the license. Today's menu was a statement that KSP will not accept my application as they do not accept applicants with less than 5 months remaining visa.
    I doubt and I have never listened something like this before... I will call KSP tomorrow to be informed. Has anyone a similar problem?

2. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

I can assure you that it's not true that you need 5 or more months of visa/extension to receive such a waiver.

All new teachers who come back from Laos only have 90 days and that's more than enough. Things at Khurusapha have changed in a positive way that it doesn't take up to a few months to receive a provisional TL, it can be done on the same day, if you do it the post way, not more than two weeks.

If you really have all documents to apply for a full license, why don't you do that?

Apply for the 5 year license and considering that you won't get the full license on the same day, you'll get a provisional license anyway until all paperwork's done and I assume that they'll get in touch with you, once the license is ready.

I'm pretty sure that the lady gives you a lot of lies, no idea why. Are there other foreigners at your school with a full license who receive a higher salary?

The lady must have her reason(s), otherwise she could be more than happy to make things a lot easier.

Whatever you're doing and how, best of luck.

Ajarn Greg likes this.
  3. Ajarn Greg

My impression is that she is waiting two more foreigners to collect the papers, to do all licences together, as she claims that it is a lot of work. However, I would also add the perspective that a TL opens new opportunities to its holder...

sirchai likes this.
  4. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

while this is true, i doubt this has crossed the mind of any thai admin

sirchai likes this.
  5. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

Is there a possible "coincidence" with the low IQ of some individuals at Thai schools? Hmm...:smile

ramses likes this.
  6. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

One visa & WP guy was a nice guy but ot-nay oo-tay ight-bray.
    Getting things done sometimes involved more than one trip.

7. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

There is ABSOLUTELY not such a rule. The current rules are:

Teacher License Requirements
    1. Be at least 20 years of age
    2. Hold a degree in Education or an equivalent or in other related fields accredited by the Teachers Council
    of Thailand or
    • Hold other degrees and a teaching license from abroad or
    • Hold other degrees and a graduate diploma in Education with 1 year course of study
    3. Completion of training course on Thai Language, Culture and Professional Ethics from a training
    institution approved by the Teachers’ Council of Thailand
    4. Not Possess any of the prohibited characteristics pursuant to section 44 of the Teachers and Educational
    Personnel Council Act B.E. 2003
    • Having improper behavior or immorality
    • Being an incompetent or quasi-incompetent person
    • Having been sentenced to imprisonment in any case, in the opinion of the Teachers Council of
    Thailand, which may bring dishonor upon the profession.
    5. Have experience in teaching with not less than 1 year

Required Documents
    1. Completed Application form (KS.01)
    2. A copy of all the used pages of the applicant’s passport, particularly the latest update current school
    NON-B Visa
    3. A copy of all pages of work permit
    4. A copy of educational background or certificates-holding at least a bachelor’s degree in a field of
    education / teaching or its equivalent (If the documents are in a foreign language besides English,
    it must be translated into Thai. Translation must be certified by a competent translator and
    notarized by notary organizations)
    5. A copy of official transcripts (if any)
    6. A copy of teaching license/certificate from abroad (if any)
    7. Work experience verification (a letter from employer in Thailand or overseas with not less than 1
    year, clearly identify the period of teaching)
    8. A copy of certificate, having completed a training course on Thai Language, Culture and Professional
    Ethics from a training institution approved by the Teachers’ Council of Thailand
    9. A copy of certification of professional knowledge test-9 subject matters for teaching Profession (In
    case of holding other degrees without a teaching license from abroad or a graduate diploma in
    Education)
    10. A copy of employment contract
    11. Two 1-inch photos, wearing formal clothing and do not wear hat and sunglasses
    12. Registration fee is 500 Baht

Note: Applicants must certify true copy of all documents

คุรุสภา

gungchang, Ajarn Greg and sirchai like this.
  8. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

How does one use this knowledge?

If the OP confronts the Thai colleague with this intel, I hope he makes a video recording of her face falling to the floor, running away, and being lost forever.

sirchai likes this.
  9. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

I applied for my license shortly after passing the exams and getting my certificate in the mail.

I had about 2 months validity remaining on my extension of stay when I applied.

Applying with 2 months remaining meant not having to obtain a new waiver to extend my visa for another year (I had the letter that said my application had been accepted).

10. Ajarn Greg

However, into a chat between Thai teacher's was mentioned that "if he gets a TL he will leave our school so we need to delay the procedure"...

11. cassette_tape

cassette_tape Member

I just had a similar thing happen to me at my school. My paperwork for my TL was ready to go last March. I was told to wait for the new school year in May; in May I was told to wait until June; in June I was told to wait until July; and in July I became such a pain that the secretary finally sent my application. The secretary at my school claimed there was a rule at Kurusapa in which I could not apply for the TL until I had 3 months left on my waiver.

Stamp likes this.
  12. Stamp

Aren't they creative? :lost it

Which one is next? Application for a teacher license can only take place with an employment contract and work permit that have at least 11.5 months left? :innocent2

13. Ajarn Greg

I have settled the issue and will go to Kurusapha in BKK next Tuesday to submit my papers. It has been found that for her own reasons our secretary was finding excuses not to do it. I have presented all the documents from the TCT website to the head and the deputy head of the EP who did not know the requirements. I would like once more to thank the forum which is a reliable source of information. Next stop TCT!

GanDoonToonPet and Stamp like this.
  14. Stamp

Please keep us posted! I think several members are going to apply for the TL soonish. They could use your experiences.

15. Ajarn Greg

Actually I have something that was not mentioned, (or I did not see it mentioned). If you have a valid waiver and can present to TCT an education Degree and for non-Thais the certificate of "Thai Culture" Seminar you are immediately eligible for a Teaching License, because your other papers have already been accepted. However you will need to submit the set of papers that are written in the application.

Stamp likes this.