1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DOE accredited universities in thailand

Discussion in 'Teacher Licensing (TCT)' started by dave, 19 Apr 2016.

1. dave

dave Thread Starter New Member

Regarding listings of DOE accredited universities in thailand. Would anybody have a link to the web site that i can check for correct uni's that the DOE will accept. What is the procedure for this IE how do they check? Do they contact the uni or is it a case that if the uni is on the list it's ok.?

I have been teaching for the last year in bangkok but i now fear with the on going crackdown in the government schools that the risk of being caught without the correct work visa and no degree will land me in deep shit should anybody check. Any advise as to how i can overcome this would be great as i dont want to leave the kingdom any time soon.

2. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

First of all 'welcome to Thailand Teaching'.

In this forum are several threads in regards to the accreditation by The Teachers' Council of Thailand. I'm currently using my phone to post here. Tomorrow I will post the links to the threads about accreditation. In the meantime, just explore this sub-forum.

3. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

Hi Dave, welcome to the forum.

4. dave

dave Thread Starter New Member

Thank you.

5. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

Good luck with getting legal

6. Stamp

7. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

Easy. Get a degree or change countries.

If you want an on-line degree and are from the UK then the open-U is your best best.
    Aussies & Kiwis have similar options for distance learning to the degree level.
    Canuks have Athabasca-U.
    Americans - you have issues due to the expansion of the "for profit" unis and degree mills.

If you want to do an undergrad at a Thai uni there are a few options done in English.

As to the "list".
    There are lots of universities that are not on the list.
    Whether your uni is on the list or not you will still need to "authenticate" your degree if you are applying for a new non-B and WP.
    The key is to make sure your uni does NOT come up on one of the lists of "degree mills".

8. Stamp

New rule?

9. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

:coffee Oh dear.

Most Americans (should) know that state run universities have online degree programs. These degrees are no different than if you sat in the classroom and took the classes on site. Getting accepted in the programs are easy if you are a yank, and may or may not be easy if you are not a US citizen based on any number of factors. Full time tuition runs 2500 to 4000 usd per term (multiply that by 8 and that is what a 4 year degree might be expected to run if you complete it online). Private schools are considerably more expensive. Best bet would be to find out which state school is the Teachers College for the (or a) state you might have ties to, and go from there. One major drawback is textbooks. Publishers are very reluctant to have their materials shipped to Thailand, and audiobooks and ebooks (and other downloadable media) might not be very easy to come by, either. Best bet is to find the school you would like to attend online, apply (application fees range from 25$ to upwards of $100), then discuss how to get the required course materials with your academic advisor.

I think even someone with low cognitive function can work out the difference between a legit degree and one from a degree mill. To that end, if you can't work out the difference might I suggest that a) teaching is not what you were meant to do, and b) your long term employment prospects won't be to good in the LoS