1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fitness First - has anyone tried to negotiate a membership for 1 month?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Clown, 4 Mar 2014.

1. Clown

Clown Thread Starter Well-Known Member

At my condo, the gym is being badly managed. Too few machines, many are broken. Aircon's off. Not a single trainer...

OTOH, in typical Thai fashion, they wouldn't accept the poor financial performance of their existing gym before embarking on some harebrained project. A large building to house saunas etc. Now a nasty looking eyesore.

(They are developers and listed on the SET. They also have a huge office building, with expensive windows put in. The last few years, there has been no activity. While government agencies are moving into Pakkret. Geez, they have sunk 70% of total cost already. Why not complete the project and sell it at a loss versus letting it all go to waste?!?)

They want 1,400 B a month. Per day, the gym and pool are 100 each. (Why not offer both combined @ 150 B? Nah -

Fitness First's minimum 5 months contract is unacceptable to me - not knowing whether and where I may find work in May. Has anyone approached a manager to negotiate a custom deal? I want 1 month to get rid of some of the bulging wrinkles round the waistline.

2. Makaveli

Makaveli aka 2Pac Staff Member

As far as I knew they aka Fitness First went bang in Thailand.....

3. Mister T

Mister T Retired, fat and happy

And many other countries as well, people did not get a refund of membership either.

4. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

lost a load of weight.. in their wallet!

Clown likes this.
  5. Clown

Well, I went to their Future Park Rangsit branch for the free 3 days' trial. In the toilet (of all places :hilarious:) they posted some half price deals. "Pay 2 months', get 4 months" kind of deals, the same ration applied to longer terms as well. (Just like 7-11's Ferrero Rocher promo, where the big pack was actually dearer than a number of smaller packs)

Very pushy sales tactics and some bizarre expenses. Just admin related one-off fees exceed 2,000 Baht. Then they add some odd feature one may not want or need, bringing the total needed to get started to 6,5xx Baht. :duh:

In the sauna, folks use no towels and drip sweat onto the wood. And who is selecting the music and playing with the equalizer to make it sound like a Thai market in some village?!

But hey, they have a soda fountain. Sugary drinks are likely the #1 reason for obesity. Makes sense, cycling to lose 500 kcal and then drink a liter of soda containing 13.8% HFCS. :confused:

6. chuachinsoon

chuachinsoon Well-Known Member

That's how they hook people to stay on.
    Hey! I'm still fat. Must be not exercising enough. I'll extend my FF membership.

Clown likes this.
  7. Brucey Bonus

Brucey Bonus New Member

Any good places to work-out in Bangkok?

8. Farang_Ba

Farang_Ba Active Member

First someone said about "banging" and then also "losing a load." Are you all sure Fitness First isn't headquartered in Pattaya or Nana Plaza???

(Cue the groans and rim shot) lol

9. pathumseb

pathumseb New Member

Had a look around the one in Future,too. I then found a local gym for 500 baht a month on Khlong Si, Rangsit. It was excellent but sadly, it is now closed

Clown likes this.
  10. Clown

The FF @ Central Plaza Changg Wattana has no sauna only that awful steam room (where hot steam might hit your ankles and cause considerable pain).

To get started @ FF, we are talking 6,5xx Baht :o Wish they would do a single month's membership at 3,000 B or something.
    At my condo, the gym is in a sorry state. Lacks machines and the only staff is a cleaner and the lady collecting money downstairs.
    But hey, the SET listed owner of the condo had grand plans. An awful ruin with iron rods sticking up into the skyline is testimony to the ill-fated plan of some "sauna & spa" centre :hilarious:

I've ordered Iso 93 protein and days later, I'm kinda scared as the stuff hasn't been delivered yet. Big "savings" @ 2,850 B for the 5 lbs vs 2,999B elsewhere. (The crap some brands put in there is staggering - loads of sugar in some cases. Or they write "whey" and the small print says it's a secret mix of say and other proteins...) But then, bodybuilders aren't known to be good readers, I guess.

I'm now eating lots of raw garlic. A BBC docu says that had quite a positive result. Need all the help I can get :happy1: