1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forget the monthly matched SS contributions (of 1,200 B) - "farang gotta pay ca$h"

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Clown, 14 Oct 2013.

1. Clown

Clown Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Hospital mentioned something about a "3 months' waiting period" before one will be eligible for treatment under the government's scheme. But those 3 months are long over for yours truly.

How good is the SS scheme when it comes to health services? What's this with those 3 months' waiting period?

Thanks for shedding some light on this.

Cheers!

2. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

Re: Forget the monthly matched SS contributions (of 1,200 B) - "farang gotta pay ca$h

:confused: I would think the school would have the responsibility to tell you when your health care coverage kicks in.

I had it with my first job, I think I paid 35 or 50 baht per visit, and nothing more.

I don't know unless it is linked to your probationary period.

3. slamb

slamb Active Member

Re: Forget the monthly matched SS contributions (of 1,200 B) - "farang gotta pay ca$h

Sounds like a national health service. In the UK you'd probably have a wait of 2 years or more while they service immigrants & dole scum before the people who've paid for the service can use it...Grrrrrr!

I've only worked in private schools which are exempt from the SS Act. They provide basic BUPA insurance, 600B for a clinic visit, 2000B per day in-patient expenses etc. However, they play fast & lose with it. My last school simply cancelled it during the floods. My current school is contractually obliged to provide health insurance after probation but I still don't have it after 6 months; don't have a copy of the contract either. :confused:

I keep meaning to get insured for the big stuff, major accidents etc but what do I know? Half my brain is in my ear and the other three quarters is on the end of a cotton bud. :smile:

4. chuachinsoon

chuachinsoon Well-Known Member

My current school pays SS though I got my SS card about 8 months after the previous one expired. And then I got 3 - 1 printed in January, 1 in August, and 1 in September.
    My previous school (government school) didn't pay SS even though it was against the law. No budget... So SS seems to depend on the school.
    So my wife and I decided to get private insurance instead. More reliable.

5. NODIIT

NODIIT Well-Known Member

If your school don't pay just go to the SS Office and they will enforced the rule (or at least they do it in Kalasin).
    People at the SSO are usually reliable and very kind, ask a Thai teacher to bring you there and ask them directly: it is a fast and reliable way to know where you stand exactly.

Personally, I never had to complain about the SS services: it is more reliable than the French one (they even cover CT scan !?!) :thumbsup2:

6. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

indeed. I went to the labor office on an unrelated matter in early 2012. The very first thing they thought when I walked in was that I was working at a school that had not provided coverage for me.

7. ibark

ibark Member

They read your mind??????????????????????

8. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

obviously not, i was there on an unrelated matter. however, it is a common complaint among foreign teachers (evidently), as their first inclination was that this was the reason for my visit.

9. NODIIT

NODIIT Well-Known Member

I believe there is nothing malign in this behaviour but often because of the Thainess school administrators trully believed that the SS policy doesn't apply to foreign teachers. Thus often schools don't declare foreign staff.
    This is really dangerous because if something happen to you you can sue the Thai administration (unless you work in the private sector) thus the SSO will always try to enforce the law and will not let it go.

10. luibkk

luibkk Well-Known Member

Unfortunately that is not true all the time. My last school refused to pay and I had to complain at the local SSO. As a result the school had to pay for me but not for the other foreign teachers although the SSO knew about them. Since they didn't complain they didn't get covered. TiT.

11. Clown

Clown Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Well, they wouldn't start with the matched deductions (600 Baht is the employee's limit, with the school contributing the same amount each month) until I got the WP. Now, after more than 3 months' uninterrupted contributions and the official choice of the very hospital which later had no record of all this, I suspect that the contributions might have been re-routed into someone's private pocket.

Never got a card yet.

I dropped off the hospital bill at the HR Dept.
    Plan B would be to claim back all my contributions at the end of my stint at this rural school. I heard that's possible if there had been no costs to the SS Plan...