1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Formaldehyde or Formalin contaminated in food ..

Discussion in 'Wining & Dining in Thailand' started by sirchai, 12 Nov 2016.

1. sirchai

sirchai Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Many moons ago I always loved to eat a little snack in form of quid on a stick, usually 10 baht a piece.

But one day I just stopped eating it and only looking at it does the rest. One more reason for not eating it anymore is that a lot of shops sell them a piece for 5 baht now?

The next beach is 570 km away, so how can they sell it that cheap?

Please have a closer look at this squid sold around the corner almost every day. I've just Googled a bit and found that Formalin was also found in many of Thai-style sukiyaki shops.

Some reading material:
    formaldehyde food contaminated

I hope that you enjoy your next squid on a stick.

Formaline.jpg

Buoyant likes this.
  2. sirchai

Sorry, couldn't correct the "quid on a stick". It's of course squid on a stick.

3. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

As a child in the UK we often used to gnaw our way through one of these tasty delicacies. Yum yum

English food.png
    No formaldehyde too.
    :lost it

All jokes aside though, a lot of what you buy at the local market is far from organic and much is tampered with in one way or another. I for one never buy meat from a market and very few vegetables but often it is the best place to buy herbs etc. But they all get washed thoroughly once home.

sirchai likes this.
  4. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

The seafood in Lampang is full of it. Thankfully Macro has a wide range of frozen!

5. sirchai

How would anybody find out if the frozen type doesn't contain anything that's also harmful to our bodies?

More and more Thais seem to buy the deep frozen stuff at 7- Eleven and just looking at it is enough.

The problem might be that in almost all food can/ could be some toxic stuff that we'd never eat.

Money is the answer. It's all about money. Sad, but true.

6. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

If it doesn't say it on the packet then don't buy it but after that....... we live in Thailand where the standards I have been told are a little lower

7. Buoyant

Buoyant Member

This just confirms my suspicions of that tasty convenience store snack called Formaldefish.

8. SageAdvice

SageAdvice Well-Known Member

Prior to its relatively recent makeover, the seafood section at the Emporium supermarket posted a large sign over its fish display: "No Formaldehyde used on our Fish". I couldn't imagine then any company using the chemical for human consumption. These days, my imagination has been greatly expanded concerning adulterated local food for sale.