1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Non-B From one to school to another without leaving the kingdom

Discussion in 'Visas and extensions of stay' started by bahn_farang, 8 Aug 2016.

1. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Thread Starter Well-Known Member

This may help someone someday from an expensive and unnecessary border crossing.

if I am wrong please feel free to correct me.

If you are leaving your current job as a teacher and plan to work in a different school, here are the steps to follow. The days are approximate and aim to show just how long it takes to cross from one school to the next

DAY 1

Step 1. Go to the admin of your current employer (hereafter: old school) at least 20 days from your last working day and request the TM10 form which should be signed and filled in by the school. THE DATE OF YOUR LAST WORKING DAY MUST BE ON THE FORM NOT THE DATE YOU SUBMIT THE FORM This will take them time and many have no idea which is the correct form. So be forewarned it may take them 5 days to get their act together. The date of your last working day must be on the form.

DAY 5

Step 2. Go to your local labour office to submit your TM10 form from your old school. You will need to surrender your work permit. In exchange you will be give a small TM10 slip.

DAY 7

Step 3 If possible on the same day, go to the immigration office which issued your extension of stay based on employment (non B). They will stamp your passport to match the last day of your working at your old school.

It is essential that you do not ask for a “7 day extension”. This is not an extension but a notification to leave within 7 days. If given this will automatically result in you having to leave the country and go to do your non b overseas – which in turn brings in additional document requirements at some if not all embassies.

The clock is now ticking !

DAY 9

Step 4. Your new employer, whom you should have been in close contact with, will ideally have all the required documents for you to submit to the labour office the day after you went to immigration. Take these documents to the Labour office to get your new work permit. DO NOT forget to include the page of your passport with the new stamp!

DAY 14

Step 5. Pick up your new work permit.

DAY 15

Step 6. Go to immigration at least 4 days before the date stamped in your passport. This builds in time for missing documents to be done and a return visit if necessary.

2. GanDoonToonPet

GanDoonToonPet Well-Known Member

Yes, me, soon, hopefully. :thumbs up

I'm leaving the school on good terms & they've done this for teachers several times in the past. I start at the new school on 12 Sept. Do you think that's enough time?

The new school is an Inter, so odds on they'll fulfill their end of the bargain & they may have some clout with Immi / MoL... :smile

3. GanDoonToonPet

GanDoonToonPet Well-Known Member

Also, the school falls under OHEC which might simplify matters... :yes

4. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Best of luck, GDTP.

At least no problems with the TCT.

GanDoonToonPet likes this.
  5. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

I'll have an interview this week and I've got no idea where to start. The new school is in the same small town ,a high school with a starting salary of 35 K, could be less.

No idea if my current school will just let me go, there';s a weird thing that you have to inform them three months before you're leaving.

The curious thing is that this isn't in my contract as I've given them an example from another school being a "trainer."

If I don't get out of this place, I might leave this planet, can't get anymore of this bs. I've got two EP classes ,with all the noise, homework, no curriculum, nobody freaking cares and it's getting worse from day to day, or even hour to hour.

I can't follow these steps now, had a few beers and will try it tomorrow again. Won't be at school tomorrow and skip a 6 hour straight day.

I never thought that such a job can mentally destroy you. And before that happens, I'm gone.

Sorry, wasn't planning to come with a sad story, but I'm really in deep shit.

P.S. The new school is in the same town and only going there for an interview will of course be heard from somebody from my current school. A little town hears all......

That's the time when they'll show their real character.

6. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

I've switched schools twice in Korea. Once I had to leave the country; once I didn't.

I haven't done this in Thailand, and it doesn't look like I ever will; but, I think the rule is the same in both countries.

If the school hasn't been breaking any laws to employ you; and, if the the school wants to help you and make this happen: it will.

If not, have a nice trip! I suggest Singapore. English is widely spoken, the airport is 1st rate, and you can get by on public transportation. KL is half price, but it's a long expensive ride to town. Don't let the taxi drivers bullshit you. Take the train into town.

GanDoonToonPet likes this.
  7. Stamp

sirchai and gungchang like this.
  8. gungchang

I don't know why I didn't think of that last year when I was in limbo waiting for my travel documents. I wound up doing 30 days upon arrival, then got 90 days, and then paid the blood money to extend that non-im ten days, which was exactly the time needed.

I didn't ask about using my wife as a reason to extend to my visa, and immigration didn't volunteer the information.

On the bright side, I got reacquainted with Changi airport and Penang.

9. Stamp

I vaguely remember we discussed 2.24 in your thread.

10. gungchang

I might be 65 by Chinese reckoning. I remember everything vaguely, if at all.

I'm sure we had that discussion and it just evaporated from my swiss cheese memory before my wife and I reached Chaeng Wattana.

Stamp likes this.
  11. JohnLloyd

JohnLloyd New Member

What is TM 10?? Please let me know, so I can talk to my current employer and get the ball rolling!
    Is that the form for canceling the work permit??
    I'm trying to do this procedure but, so far my new employer thinks I must leave the country. I'm trying to avoid that! When I told them of this procedure they asked "Who told you this?" Next, I'll talk with their lawyer.

12. bahn_farang

Welcome JohnLloyd
    yes

Here is a link to another thread Work Permit WP.1, WP.5 and Cancellation Forms From The Ministry of Labour - Update 23-12-2016 | Thailand Teaching Asia - Living and Teaching in Thailand

on the thread are useful links for all immigration forms

this is the form you are asking for : http://wp.doe.go.th/wp/images/form/wp_cancellation.pdf

13. DavidUSA

DavidUSA την σκαφην σκαφην λεγοντας

That's some good info.

14. JohnLloyd

JohnLloyd New Member

Disregard last!
    I've tried to begin this process by discussing it with my new school ("must leave country") and their lawyer ("must leave country"). Is this written anywhere in Thai?? In a document or any legal papers?? I'm thinking of asking at immigration if it can be done, because nobody can confirm for me. I am told for new work permit they must show my new visa!

15. bahn_farang

Central immigration Bangkok. Get a Thai friend to give them a call, but if your employers is saying that you must leave country then perhaps follow them. Proving someone wrong is not the best way to start in a new school

JohnLloyd likes this.