1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

good buys on non-J-Food

Discussion in 'Wining & Dining in Thailand' started by gungchang, 7 Oct 2013.

1. gungchang

gungchang Thread Starter Well-Known Member

My wife is eating J-food. She's certainly not the only one.

So, when I stumbled on some red sticker prices on some items which are not ahan-j, she wasn't surprised.

At Big C, Lad Prao, President Camembert was 129 baht, usually 390 baht or close to it for an 8-wedge wheel.

Yikes! I ate one of the wedges on some crackers and I was beating my chest with my fists.

The tex-mex burritos & chimichangas (same ones carried by Villa) were half price.

BabyBel swiss mini wheels in wax were 129 baht for a bag of six.

I thought I'd throw this out in case anybody else cares to share any good buys on non-J-food.

portnoy58 likes this.
  2. portnoy58

portnoy58 Well-Known Member

that price for camembert almost justifies a trip to Big C Lad Prao from out here in the sticks!

3. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

:cursing: figures something like this would come along whilst on a juice fast. Sonuvab*tch! That sounds really nice. I'm better off without it ...

4. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

thank you off to big c tomorrow

5. gungchang

gungchang Thread Starter Well-Known Member

You're safe in Chiang Rai. There are some nice restaurants on Phahon Yothin, though.

I was going to do a juice fast, but I saw that a good juicer can cost $300. How do you prepare the veggies? Or I could just not be so lazy and check the juice fast thread.

6. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

just juice no salt,no sugar?

7. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

some cost that much, but mine was about 120$ usd, I bought it from Power Buy. It is a 900 watt Tefal. Meanjin recommends 1000 watt, (i bought mine before I read his recommendation) but I would have to think that you could pick one up for no more than 150$, and you could likely get one cheaper on pantip.com if you know where to look.

rinse them off. If the peel is inedible, I take the peel off too. I do not peel my cucumbers, carrots, or lime wedges, but I do peel garlic and oranges. leafy greens go in as is, same with celery. A quick rinse if the produce is organic, but a good washing if it is not.

no worries, I am not exactly a wordsmith.

- - - Updated - - -

:no: but your body does need sodium, so if I eat a raw avocado, I will mix it with lime, a touch of garlic, cilantro (coriander for the brits), spring onion, and tomatoes and sprinkle. What you drink when you are on a juice fast is essentially sugar-water, albeit derived from raw fruits and vegetables. I am sure there is naturally occurring sodium in the produce I juice, but well below 2000 mg per day. I would think that the body's need for sodium would decrease if you are on a juice fast, but I have no proof of that.