1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harvard University online

Discussion in 'Schools you want to talk about' started by DavidUSA, 27 Apr 2016.

1. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Thread Starter Well-Known Member

While living in rural Thailand, I improved my English by taking classes on EdX given by Harvard University. So far, I have taken three English classes from them--of course, they pushed me to do a lot of writing and reading. These classes are not for academic credit, but one can get a certificate. They are not easy. The cost is only about 1,500 Baht if one wants a certificate, but free otherwise. I look at EdX as a fantastic opportunity. Classes usually last for eight weeks. By taking these classes I feel connected to the current intellectual life going on in the US. I also take regular classes for credit (which requires that one apply, etc.), but the dirt cheap EdX classes are fascinating and always worth one's time. They do not feel like work. Some of the best universities in the world have classes on EdX. Whatever results I get from Harvard are going near the top of my resume.

Also, on staying intellectually connected: BBC Radio Channel Four "In Our Time" has wonderful programs on science, philosophy, culture, and religion. Melvyn Bragg hosts academics from major universities who talk about light issues such as "The Scottish Enlightenment" and "Empiricism." I love this stuff. I have been absorbing his programs while I am out about about in Asia. I listen to it every day. I do it to sharpen my English and sort out stuff I have never really figured out (such as the distinction between perception and intuition, what the Glorious Revolution means, what Descartes amounts too, why Wittgenstein is important, who is John Locke and what did he say, stuff like that). After a while, it dawns on one that the big issues in these programs are often the big issues of education.

If I have an advanced student who is interested in the humanities, I point him or her towards EdX and Melvyn Bragg's program. Free or low-cost classes are perfect for many Thai students, and the classes usually have audio presentations with matching text.

Last edited: 27 Apr 2016
    stfranalum and covertjay like this.
  2. covertjay

covertjay Member

The data wise course was excellent. Nice work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DavidUSA likes this.
  3. muppetminder

muppetminder Member

Ain't nobody got time fo' dat!

4. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Harvard University is actually offering courses for credit over the EdX website. Registration just started. I just signed up after asking for a scholarship. Application fee is $50. Undergraduate classes are $1400 and graduate classes are $2400. The class I signed up for is the first of its kind (teaching American poetry to children), and it was being offered for only $499. Scholarship got me down to $200. It is a fantastic opportunity. The staff are friendly and helpful. edX | Free online courses from the world's best universities

The class is online with a teaching component. Makes for one heck of a sentence on the resume. The teacher is famous. They are taking 100 students.

covertjay likes this.
  5. covertjay

covertjay Member

They're brilliant. Done one and doing another soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bahn_farang likes this.