1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Healthcare options

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by bahn_farang, 5 May 2015.

1. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Need a little bit of advice.

A friend has just informed me that he is no longer covered at the local hospital. In other words he has to pay for all treatments. He is a long term resident of Thailand and has paid many years of tax to the government coffers. He is retired.

This lack of coverage has concerned me.

As a teacher I have health cover through my school. My concern is what happens when I retire? I have in the past been able to receive care but now the "yellow house registration book" does not mean that I can get treatment.

Some specific questions:

How do you get medical treatment if it is not through your employer?
    Do you have any recommendations for non emergency healthcare?
    How does it work for long term residents in your area?
    Does permanent residency result in free healthcare?

I will do some more investigating tomorrow as today is a holiday.

Worst case scenario I guess is buying additional healthcare. Before I do this I would like to understand the current picture.

Thank you for any replies.

2. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Thread Starter Well-Known Member

if you get sick what will you do?

3. chuachinsoon

chuachinsoon Well-Known Member

bahn_farang likes this.
  4. luibkk

luibkk Well-Known Member

Your friend can continue his contributions to the Social Security Fund at a reduced rate and will receive benefits as long as he's paying in. See
    SOCIAL SECURITY ACT,
    B.E. 2533 (1990)1

Section 39.14 Any person who is an insured person under section 33, has paid contribution for a period of not less than twelve months and, subsequently ceases to be insured person in pursuance of section 38(2), if such person wishes to continually be insured person, he or she shall, within six months from the date of his or her termination to be insured person, notify his or her statement to the Office according to the regulations prescribed by the Secretary – General.

bahn_farang likes this.