1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll How do you get around?

Discussion in 'Residing in Thailand' started by sirchai, 9 Jul 2016.

1. sirchai

sirchai Thread Starter Well-Known Member

I just had a chat with a good friend who bought a nice second hand Toyota with only a few km on it and it would be great if you would participate how you get to school, better said what vehicles you bought in your time in Thailand.

Unfortunately, is it very difficult to save enough money to buy a new car on a teacher's salary.

I had the good luck to have enough money to buy a Pick Up truck, when I settled down and bought a second hand Mitsubishi L 200 with all extras ( ABS wasn't available) from my wife's uncle for 340,000 baht.

I was really very angry to find out that the three year old car was already six years old.

It was pretty funny to hear that from the same monk who made the Buddhist ceremony for my wife's uncle and then for me that the car was six years old.

I thought that the monk was wrong, but when I checked my documents it turned out that the monk was right.

When i called the uncle he told me that it would be like a 3 year old car, because his wife wasn't allowed to drive with it.

That made it 3 years younger and me very angry.

He once was the boss of the Sisaket transport office, but never serviced the car and I wanted my money back, when black smoke came out of the exhaust system after the deal.

The same guy who later got busted for issuing documents for Lamborghini's, Ferrari's, etc.. guess some of you might remember the story when some luxury cars burned out on a trailer in Korat and nobody owned them? They were on the way to Sisaket to get them "cleared."

Of course would you not think that such a rich ( at this time ) guy would rip you off. And being a family member was what really drove me crazy.

Of course did that never happen and the promised 40 K were finally only 35 K.

"Too many of us look upon Americans as dollar chasers. This is a cruel libel, even if it is reiterated thoughtlessly by the Americans themselves." Albert Einstein

But I'm happy to have this car. It's a reliable car and I keep it in good shape, change the oil every 5,000 km and repair, or get it fixed before it's too late. 286,000 km on the clock now.

I'll start with what we've got:

Vehicle # 1 Pick -Up Mitsubishi L 200, 2.8 litre already 19 years old, but in good shape.

Vehicle 2 Yamaha " Best II" we bought 2 years before is still running, got 60,000 km on the clock and still has the first engine. Photo will

I hope that you don't mind talking about your vehicles. Photos and eventually funny details would be appreciated.

Khop Khun Maak Khrap. Thank you very much.

DSC04932.JPG

Stamp likes this.
  2. po3try

po3try Well-Known Member

I drive a Nissan March to school and around town. Bought from new and just finished paying it off. We're lucky enough to have a Mercedes Kompressor on loan as a family/wifes work car.

Like this, but silver.

[​IMG]

Clown, sirchai and Stamp like this.
  3. Tonyja

Tonyja Well-Known Member

Ive got an '87 Honda Accord. My friend bought in for 120,000 about 6 years ago and gave it me 2 years ago.
    I've been everywhere in it at great speed and in great comfort. Its had new nearly everything, great car.
    Japanese import too so its not made of chocolate.
    car1.jpg
    car3.jpg.jpeg

Stamp and sirchai like this.
  4. sirchai

Congrats!! Had plenty of them back home. But only old timers like a 1956 Ponton. Thanks for sharing.

5. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

no pics, but I drive a stone-age NV the color of a Monk's robe. has more miles on it than the main character in Sirchai's favorite book.
    when it is not raining I like to scoot around on a Spark Nano (nano spark? who cares). I'd be willing to part with it for 10K cash. its just 3 years old, and I have owned it for a 1.5 years.

Clown and Stamp like this.
  6. Tonyja

Tonyja Well-Known Member

Spark Nano i believe rames. My sunny weather option is a Yamaha Mio scooter. It cost me 25,000 plus 5k interest on the never never 4 months ago.Ive done 200km in one stint on it before and I ride it absolute flat knacker everywhere. (great English phrase) It never missed a beat. Cheaper than a click too.
    It'll do 105km absolutely full chat and i've had the accord up to 185.
    my mio.jpg

sirchai and Stamp like this.
  7. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

My bicycle was stolen less than one month after I'd purchased it.

It was nice to have.

vlcsnap-2016-07-10-20h39m21s791.png vlcsnap-2016-07-10-20h39m39s371.png vlcsnap-2016-07-10-20h40m29s085.png

The photos are stills from a video taken with my phone on a handlebar mount.

8. sirchai

Once there was my bike where I could hop on after school. But it had a very sad end when the crash bar broke my leg four times near the Tibia head. And the local hospital made a terrible job.

After eight months on crutches I had to go to Europe for several surgeries where they also implanted a bacterial infection. Not just an artificial knee joint....

I sold my big love to a Brit on Phuket for only 110 K ( way too cheap) to be able to make it to Germany and to make sure that my family had enough money.

I almost lost my leg, ( but my plane ticket) because the doctors didn't recognize the infection, but an old nurse did.

We, the Sisaket Riders were a happy bunch of bikers, mostly cops without any documents for their bikes and one "farang".

We drove to many poor villages donated some good money for schools and I'll never forget the nice guys in our "club."

All what's left is my "colors". The guy on the left came all the way from Phuket to Ubon ( 1,500 km) and had a terrible accident on his way home. never heard of him again.

Sorry, for being off.

Photo-0008.jpg

bikerweek Ubon 019.jpg

Clown likes this.
  9. Aj Michael

Aj Michael Well-Known Member

My daily ride for the past 13 years, being used here to tour Kho Yao Yai.

Daily ride.jpg

For high days and holidays I have had this 1997 Honda Dream for 13 years. It has 251,000 km on the clock, and should be good for many more.

M:c.jpg

Stamp and sirchai like this.
  10. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

2015 Honda Moove.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1468390486.468796.jpg

2009 Isuzu MU-7

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1468390512.052141.jpg

sirchai likes this.
  11. sirchai

Thanks, Stamp. ( For making me look like a beggar).

But please throw some coins in when you see me in front of a 7 Eleven, okay? :go10

12. Clown

Clown Well-Known Member

AT 750.jpg

sirchai, marcusb and Stamp like this.
  13. Clown

Clown Well-Known Member

Bought used with genuine30,000 km and good Green Book for 150,000 Baht. It got stolen from the underground parking at my condo (presumably by the "guards")

Later, I learned that an Aussie had died on it.

The battery was "tested" by shorting it. Sparks flew and I yelled at the "mechanic".
    ^^^

Now, I'm riding a step through. But if Ramses' Nano won't sell the next few months, I might buy it ;)

GPZ 1000 RX.jpg

sirchai and ramses like this.
  14. SageAdvice

SageAdvice Well-Known Member

I use the bts/mrt to get around Bangkok so my environmental impact is rather small, unless you count exhaling.

15. Buoyant

Buoyant Member

[​IMG]

marcusb likes this.