1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to gain experience teaching/tutoring SATs, TOEIC IELTS

Discussion in 'Qualifications & Courses' started by muppetminder, 2 Jan 2017.

1. muppetminder

muppetminder Thread Starter Active Member

Sorry, title should have had a ? mark. Not on my second cup of coffee.

How does one actually gain solid, quality experience teaching prep / tutoring for standardized tests?

My best plan is to simply find a school that will hire me and learn on the job weekends.

Take a break from public schools for a year.

I guess In thinking TOEIC and SATs.

Is IELTS largely a British thing? It's next to impossible for Americans to work in British curriculum schools here. Imagine IELTS might be similar.

I really don't want to spend money to become an IELTS examiner. I see this as a scam as I'd read much of the exams are assessed online, perhaps in UK.

Thank you any and all

2. kiwidrew

kiwidrew Active Member

IELTS is whats accepted in many western countries. It is widely taught in Vietnam and South Korea. TOEFL seems to be what's popular here in Thailand. I taught both of these in Korea preparing students who wanted to do university degrees in English.

3. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

Please have a look here: IELTS practice resources freely available to develop exam skills

Here ( currently over 80 seeders) : The Official Guide to the TOEFL iBT 4th edition + CD (download torrent) - TPB

and you might consider CEFR as it seems that this test might replace the TOEIC tests soon.

Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) - English levels ( all material, including listening, grammar, reading and writing in all levels)

TOEIC Mastery: TOEIC Mastery CD-ROM ver.1.2 (download torrent) - TPB

You'll find plenty of good books on the Bay that are worth to download.

stfranalum likes this.
  4. muppetminder

muppetminder Thread Starter Active Member

Thanks for all that.

Guess I'm looking for some hand held direction. I'd taught TOEIC in Korea 20 years ago. I liked it.

IELTS very fashionable here. I'd like to be able to perhaps work ad hoc in serious learning centers assuming they exist here. I know a few do.