1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to write THE best possible lesson plan with the right lesson proper......

Discussion in 'Classroom' started by sirchai, 30 Jun 2016.

1. sirchai

sirchai Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Sabaii dee?

We're just "reminded" to submit our lesson plans and I saw one that almost destroyed my already bad eyesight.

The "teacher in question" shouts at the kids to shut up, never taught young kids, always speaks in present tense, which is really annoying.

She's using Thai to 75 % and doesn't seem to know what she's doing. I feel sorry for the kids who ask me every day when I'll start teaching them.

Right now I'm listening to one of her "science lessons", the kids only repeat some mixed up sentences from lorries to monkeys.

It was not my intention to criticize this woman, all i want is your input what you think about the attached lesson plan.

BTW, what's a lesson proper? ( I assume the main part of it?)

I'm really lost in Isaan now. :computer

Attached Files:

2. sirchai

P.S. The "teacher's teaching short and long vowel sounds only since the start of the school year.

The English books arrived a week ago, but she isn't using them.'

3. testtaker

testtaker Member

Without Teacher xxxxxxx permission, I think that it's unethical to post her lesson plans for public perusal.

Last edited by a moderator: 30 Jun 2016
  4. KhruRandy

KhruRandy Member

+1

No issue with the lp. The presentation of the lesson should be the focal point of the lesson, not the lp.

The rest of your rant may or may not be about personality conflicts.

5. sirchai

The kids only "study" short and long vowel sounds in each and every English lesson since middle of May.

The books that just arrived 10 days ago are not used, also not included in the lesson planning.

Teaching phonics is important, but not just phonics in every lesson.

It's not about a "personal conflict", it's about the kids' language abilities.

They're still where they were in May.

6. Tonyja

Tonyja Well-Known Member

This seems more of a personal issue that you shouldn't worry about. Nobody likes a sneak.

7. sirchai

The parents freak out. The kids "study short and long vowel sounds" since the beginning of the school year.

There's absolutely nothing conversational.

The lesson plans are all the same, only replaced by a different vowel.

Telling them very loud to "shut up" is just a part of it. If YouTube doesn't work, no plan.

Ya should see and hear it to understand it.

P.S. I''m not wasting any more time to look for a solution, you get what you pay for.

Leave all up to them, even when I feel sorry for the little kids and their lovely smiles. ........Cheers.

8. Tonyja

Tonyja Well-Known Member

Looks like she'll be gone soon anyway then.

sirchai likes this.
  9. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Original PDF-file has been edited. Teacher's name removed.

sirchai likes this.
  10. sirchai

Duizendmaal dank :go10

11. portnoy58

portnoy58 Well-Known Member

I think it is a complete waste of time paying too much time to lesson planning in the sense of what school admin require. I could submit the same lesson plan two consecutive weeks running and it wouldn't be noticed. I could also include useful things like "Mickey Mouse sucks farts from dead sea gulls" ( and I am often tempted to do so) and it wouldn't be noticed and duly stamped as approved. However every time I enter a classroom I know what I'm going to do. I know that lesson's objectives and I know the broad outline of where I'm going. In fact you don't want to be too planned because it might stop the lesson flowing in a natural way and sometimes the students do pipe up with interesting things that are worth exploring. In a science class today, G5, the students had the Isaac Newton wikipedia sheets printed out and pasted onto display boards - this is their Thai language content. Copy and paste but make it look nice! After establishing that the students knew next to nothing about the great man I decided to throw the Conservation script out the window. I had a student standing on a desk dropping a bit of chalk and a black board duster from the same height and we took it from there ..... what do you see? what happens? do they hit the floor at the same time or what? In the ensuing discourse we managed to cover Copernicus, Galileo, Christopher Columbus, Marco Polo, the 'discovery' of America - most of the students were really engaged. I also highlighted for them the business about learning - Isaac Newton casually watched the fabled apples falling and he thought about it, thought about it some more and some more, and then some more, and started using what he already knew, considered some questions, thought some more and started to come up with some theories.... don' judge a lesson by its lesson plan, don't judge a book by its cover.

sirchai likes this.
  12. po3try

po3try Well-Known Member

I'm of the opinion that you should worry about your own teaching rather than anyone elses. No good will come of this.

marcusb likes this.
  13. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

I can think of a few teachers I've encountered, one several years ago and two a few years ago, that were such basket cases that they merited being talked about. It's certainly the exception, not the rule, though.

14. chuachinsoon

chuachinsoon Well-Known Member

Yeah. Focus on your own teaching. Worrying about other people's teaching doesn't help. It just gets you stressed up. And then it affects your teaching. Trust me. I'm prone to messianic complex, and I had a bad dose of it for a few years because I was the only foreigner who could speak Thai, and all sorts of complaints came to/through me. Now I just mainly concentrate on how and what I teach. With some effort thrown in at getting the foreign teachers working as a team. That's it.

sirchai likes this.
  15. sirchai

It was the wrong headline, should have been : "the end of an English Programme."

The always mentioned NES teachers, preferable female, were never hired. I was alone to start an EP but without any respect from school, absolutely no interaction what's actually going on in some classrooms.

The Programme already started to struggle last year, you can't just put all weight on one guy's shoulders.

The director's house is growing in size. They talk about 6-7 million cold. Then add the rest, furniture, aircon, a new car, etc...

If anybody on this forum beliefs that the attached form's a "proper one", you're welcome.

It's finally not about the completely wrong written lesson plans, the irony is that within 7 weeks of lesson planning only the short version, or the long one of a vowel was being used.

Only replace either the long a with a short e sound for seven weeks can't be "proper."

It's sad that she never taught little kids and really hates them. When she shouted at them : "SHUT UP" it was so full of hate and pretty clear that that was way over her head.

Teaching grade one students in Thailand in an English Programme can be very difficult, especially when you have NIL to Zero experience in teaching.

They promised the parents that an experienced NES teacher ( if possible female) would be their educator, in the last minute it was decided that the woman without any experience, plus a questionable command in English had to teach them.

Some parents are doctors, teachers, merchants, etc.. and they speak English. Of course did they realize that the phonetic part didn't really work out. You can slide the air, if you know what I mean.

Now, t's not about a lesson plan anymore. It's about the exodus of an EP., kids who don't learn anything just because the educator is only in for the money and never did such a job before.

1,500 students, one European, two Filipinos, plus five Thais who are teaching English, often in Thai only can't be it. There's always somebody absent and a 20 hour schedule can easily become a 28 hour one............

I think it's better to focus on a solution for the parents before it's too late.
    The cancer has already started to develop.....:go10

Last edited: 30 Jun 2016