1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IFUGAO State University - Diploma in Teaching

Discussion in 'Qualifications & Courses' started by northend_boyz, 28 Nov 2013.

1. northend_boyz

northend_boyz Thread Starter Member

Hey
    I decided to gamble with the IFUGAO program. According to the lady in charge of the paperwork at my school, this course will meet the requirements. However, i still feel a bit uneasy. I paid a downpayment of 5000 baht and I'm currently waiting for a user name and password to be issued. I've recieved the schedule and for the first term there is one in-class session in January. The diploma is 30 units in education. I believe the TCT requirement is 20 something units. I hope it all works out.
    I believe they are still accepting students.

2. Tommo_Farang

Tommo_Farang New Member

Re: Nottingham PGCEi or IFUGAO State University

What course are you taking?

3. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

I would appreciate information about the course you're going to do, northend_boyz. It might be worth to have a separate thread on Thailand Teaching about the course. Thanks. :thumbsup2:

4. northend_boyz

I'd be more than happy to keep you all up to date on my experiences with this program. At the moment, i have very little information, just a schedule, the programs time duration, and a promise i'll recieve my TCT licence based on its merit. That's why i'm still a little wary. Feel free to ask specific questions in the future and i'll do my best to answer them.

I think there should be a seperate forum for those interested in studying rather than taking the tests. I spent 6 months researching programs and there are a number of study opportunities out there which lead to TCT licencing.

5. po3try

po3try Guest

what's the website northend? Been looking into courses myself.

6. Stamp

• Course name
    • Course duration
    • On-line/ part-time
    • Course Outline
    • Module details
    • Credits
    • Costs
    • Venue
    • Contact
    • etc.

7. Tullkra

Tullkra Active Member

INTERESTING- How much is it in total??

And when is the closing date for applications, I looked for many different courses over the last while and got disheartened. I might join you in this IF I've the money and could do it together. :)

Can't find it on the net, I found it before as I looked at the course but xcan't find it now. Can someone send me the link, if possible. THANKS

8. northend_boyz

Course name: Diploma in Teaching
    Course duration: 1 year but can be done in 10 months
    On-line/ part-time: Online using the Moodle program. Face to face classes: 2 to 4 times in the city.
    Course Outline: Don't know yet
    Module details:My first schedule...
    Prof. Ed 11 – Educational / Instructional Technology in ECE (MAT Credited) WITH FIELD STUDY = 4 UNITS
    Technology in Pre-School Education
    Prof. Ed 13 - Practice Teaching (6)
    IKSP / Supervision & Management of Child Development Program
    Prof. Ed 7 - Preparation & Evaluation of Instructional Materials with Computer Education (MAT Credited) WITH FIELD STUDY = 4 UNITS
    Prof. Ed 12 - Teaching Strategies / Prof. Ed 9 - Principles of Teaching WITH FIELD STUDY = 4 UNITS
    Credits: i believe 30
    Costs: 55, 000 baht in 2 installments or 50000 baht if pay full amount
    Venue: Somewhere in the Pratunam area

9. Stamp

Thank you very much for the update.

Careful with this one.

10. northend_boyz

Yes, i'm aware of this. Although it can be done sooner, it is considered a year long diploma. The same goes with the PGCEi, it's a year program but can be completed earlier.

11. slamb

slamb Active Member

How is the course going?

I was chatting to a colleague today, who completed the course 7 months ago & is still waiting for his certificate / transcripts. His emails had gone unanswered until he threatened legal action upon which he received a snotty email accusing him of being rude but he was given a date to pick up said papers; we'll see. :chinrub:

Another colleague is almost finished the course & is equally unimpressed. A royal visit led to half a day's lessons being cancelled which in turn led to loss of credits & communication is a problem for him too.

Yet another colleague took the course a few years ago & currently has a full teaching license. :smile:

So a bit of a mixed bag. :hilarious:

Personally, I'm worried that, with the new knowledge areas, the course may no longer be recognised. :bewarned:

Stamp likes this.
  12. tarzan65

tarzan65 New Member

We will just never know which school, courses, or online programs are accepted until we get reliable information from the TCT. My school has a large English department.
    more that 30 teachers from the English speaking countries. some have completed a PGCE and it was accepted. some are doing a PGCEi now which may or may not be accepted.
    now since we have so many teachers in the same situation, we have found the Framingham University master of education program. which is associated with wells international school here in Thailand. they claim to be fully accredited and accepted by the TCT. Nothing confirmed yet, but a group of teachers from my school are trying to take this course. I am just waiting be cause I am not 100% convinced it really is accepted. A lot of posts on this forum and others just say things like " i heard that" My friend told me... I was chatting with a friend and... I talked to a woman at the TCT and she said that..... How can we really know unless we have reliable information?

13. slamb

slamb Active Member

Too true, due to the constant changes & inconsistencies of the TCT, particularly over the last 5 years.

They all claim to be. A pathetic advert for a teacher at Trinity International was posted only today; Siam 'international' only pay 40k but won't accept TEFL teachers, even ones with a physics or maths degree - ben arai? :happy1:

14. northend_boyz

Hey guys,
    I'm sorry for the late reply.
    So how's the course going? Well, to be completely honest, the classes are a bit of a joke. Much of it's online and requires very little effort which might actually be a bonus for some. I'm at the end of my first semester. I've completed 4 subjects and attended two workshop/seminars(worth credits). I have 5 subjects to complete before i graduate in June. The lady in charge told me that it takes a bit of time to receive the diploma/transcript but that there are ways to speed things up. I've also heard from other students that past students are getting their TL with temporary certificates and letters stating the program is complete. Communication with the admin. hasn't been much of an issue for me. However it's my understanding that there is only 1 person in admin. dealing with all the students. Pretty crazy considering there are almost 100 students doing the course presently.

Although i'm only half way through, i think i can make the assumption that the course doesn't satisfy the 11 professional standards required by the TCT. I could be wrong. That being said, I've met past students who have recently applied for their TL and received is based on the merit of this course.

So to sum things up, this program is definitely shady but gets the job done.
    However, I'm still apprehensive and because of this I've been holding off on paying my tuition.

Stamp likes this.
  15. Stamp

Thanks for the feedback, northend_boyz. Appreciated. :thumbsup2: