1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Information on the USA - Police background check for teachers

Discussion in 'Visas and extensions of stay' started by DavidUSA, 6 Jul 2015.

1. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Thread Starter Well-Known Member

It is not that hard for an American to get this done from Thailand. What you want is called an "Identity History Summary Check" and it will come from the FBI. You do NOT go directly to the FBI for this. Instead you go through an FBI-approved channeler such as VetConnex. You can write the FBI itself, but the process will be much longer.

www.vetconnex.com

(952) 224-8656

Download the fingerprint card (or get a free copy at the U.S. Embassy). Get your fingerprints taken by the police or some government official (yes, you probably have to go to Bangkok for this. See below.) and submit the two cards and copies of your IDs (Passport, Driver's License, etc) to Vetconnex. This will cost you about 45 dollars. I have attached the form. EMS it to Vetconnex, and it only takes one day for them to process it. They will email you a copy of your result, and the hard copy follows by normal post.

There is some headache involved here, but at least it can be done.

More information from the US Embassy:

Fingerprint Cards | Embassy of the United States Bangkok, Thailand

The U.S. Embassy can supply you with the fingerprinting cards for free.

The U.S. Embassy cannot perform the fingerprinting process. Take the fingerprint card to the Thai Police Clearance Service center for inking.

The Police Clearance Service Center
    Royal Thai Police, Building 24
    Rama I
    Pathumwan, Bangkok 10330
    Phone: 02-205-2168 or 2169
    Email: pcscenter@royalthaipolice.go.th; pcsc.thaipolice@gmail.com

For information on how to obtain a U.S. criminal record check from a local/state police department or the FBI, click here.

For information on how to obtain a Thai police clearance certificate, visit the Police Clearance Service Center website (Welcom TO The Police Clearance Service Cener Special Branch Royal Thai Police). A map to the Police Clearance Service Center is available here.

If you have additional questions, please send an email to American Citizen Services at ACSBKK@state.gov.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Incidentally, this is the record check that one needs in order to teach in China or South Korea (those are the two I know of). For South Korea it will need a special authentication above the level of a Notary.

Attached Files:

2. GanDoonToonPet

GanDoonToonPet Well-Known Member

Are teachers from the US being asked to produce a criminal record check of late, as UK teachers are being asked to do?

3. natewill

natewill Active Member

Are there any other police clearance centers? I'm in Lampang. So, I would have to go to Chiang Mai to an consulate to get the fingerprint card, then go to Bangkok to get my prints rolled, then mail it all to a website? And it's gonna cost me 1500 baht for the website service, plus however much the consulate and police charge, plus EMS fees?

I think I'm gonna move to Vietnam.

4. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

You'd be looking at being a "working tourist" or getting the CRC done anyway.
    The only places that aren't asking for one yet are Laos and Cambodia (and I am sure they will soon jump on that bandwagon too).

5. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

No, not at all.

You can download a form from the FBI and print yourself. I imagine that the Lampang police would be more than happy to print you for a modest fee.

Attached Files:

6. natewill

natewill Active Member

Good to know. Sometimes, Thai forums are BKK-centric, and it's not always known what we can and can't get done here in the rural parts.

7. DavidUSA

The rule is any local authority can take your fingerprints. I went to the one recommended by the US Embassy (Thai police headquarters in Bangkok). By the way, the Thai police did a very good job. Also, it was free. So the cards are free at the Embassy (US Citizen Services) and the fingerprinting is free too. I had two full sets taken in case I need one later.

You will need a pen with black ink to fill out the card. No blue ink.

8. DavidUSA

There is one execption when you should send your fingerprint card directly to the FBI. That is when you want to have it Apostilled. This is a kind of certification above notarization, and it is mandatory for teaching in South Korea.

This level of certification has to do with an international treaty (that was done in the Hague).

9. DavidUSA

====================================================

The Thai police do a good job. It is free and it takes about 10 minutes for everything. You need to bring ID, of course, and your passport is best for that. Also, you will need a copy of your passport to give them (black and white is fine).

The fingerprint card has to be filled out in black ink.

10. Cal Roy

Cal Roy Well-Known Member

I see there are a number of online services for this check. Thanks for posting the fingerprint card. I will take it to the local police on Monday and send it off to the FBI. I give up on Thailand. China is calling now.

11. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

:very sad

12. Cal Roy

Cal Roy Well-Known Member

I was all signed up to go to China, quit my job, and then changed my mind. I am back home and have managed to have 5 interviews, one of which looks like it is a job. Now I will get more money plus benefits and free rent because I can finally commute from home.
    We talked about China and decided it wasn't much improvement and starting all over again didn't sound like fun.

GanDoonToonPet and bahn_farang like this.
  13. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Best of luck and hope everything will work out fine.

14. DavidUSA

Update on Vetconnex: they went out of business. But there are many other small companies that work with the FBI.

Make sure to get two copies of your fingerprints. You will need two copies for China.

The police at that office in Bangkok do an excellent job. You can trust them to do the fingerprinting right.

15. DavidUSA

I understand how you felt. In my case, moving to China is one of the best things I have ever done. I got the VIP treatment from day one. I am going to go into detail about how to move to China, what mistakes to avoid, and what it has been like for me.

Cal Roy likes this.