1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the glass half full or half empty?

Discussion in 'Staffroom' started by sirchai, 8 Nov 2016.

1. sirchai

sirchai Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Right after starting to write a complete curriculum from P.1 - P. 6 EP, plus one for the ordinary classes from Kindergarten to grade 9, besides teaching for a school that doesn't appreciate anything a foreigner's doing for the school and the kids, I just received a new teaching schedule.

It was actually only about an hour I couldn't cover because I already had a class at this time.

Not a big thing, the hour was changed and a new schedule given to me two days ago. Our EP classes are only 50 minutes long, but the new schedule showed an hour for the afternoon classes.

Of course, was I thinking that a little mistake occurred, but had to find out that all afternoon classes from now on will be 60 minutes long. Wouldn't you at least expect that somebody tells you that before you have to stay ten minutes longer in each afternoon class?

I already had 21 contact hours and am now topped up to 22 hours. Sometimes a few hours more if a "Thai teacher can't make it."

What would you think when they do that to you, without telling you anything beforehand?

When should I do the curriculum that won't be either financially or otherwise appreciated and when should I create and check all the homework, worksheets, lesson plans, etc?

I'm already spending my Sunday afternoons with preparation for a six-hour marathon on Monday.

When is enough really enough?

I'm in my third year at this school, never had a pay raise and I'm really very upset now.

We've got an old saying in good old Germany when you give somebody your little finger they take your whole hand or your whole arm.

And that's exactly how I feel now. A farang, they believe they can do anything they want to him.

I'm the only whitish guy at this school and I really feel raped and strangled.

2. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

Be nice but no biggy. Has happened to me several times over 11 years, changes to and from 45, 50, and 60 mins and up and down the scale ...I've got used to being in the dark until I walk in the classrom.

Meh ! I'm on 24 ....used to be on 60 as an engineer in the UK ....I'll take the teaching load over an engineers load all day long.

Don't then and tell them you don't have time...or... do it and pay me for it. At the end of the day a job is about earning money

When you say it is and realise that the glass is half empty which gives reason to go and buy some more beer to fill the glass up.

Xxx GBG.:cheers:drinking:burp

sirchai likes this.
  3. sirchai

Thanks for the heads up. It's sometimes just a few words like yours that make the difference.

I've just realised that I spend more and more time at school that I actually spend with my family.

I could fingerprint out at 4.30 but sometimes leave school at 6 pm, or even later. That can't be it.

I'll follow your advice and sleeping over it a night might help. Cheers.

4. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

Think I made a sarcastic post about this somewhere but here goes

Of course you would, communication is a strong point in Thai schools and it will no doubt get better the more foreign teachers moan about it.

Goodness why wouldn't they put that in the contract when you signed it

If only you had a choice, living in an area with just one school which hires foreign teachers must me a nightmare.

No sarcasm on this comment. No you don't. You feel as if you are being taken for a ride. Reality check, with the greatest sincerity possible. Take a look back at all your posts speaking about "why am I doing this?" and stop asking others and answer the question for yourself. When you are in your deathbed or just before (more likely in Thailand) a bus wipes you out, will you be thinking "I wish I had developed strand three of the math standard 4" Don't think too hard about the answer - it's no. Many others have told you, as I have done so in the past.

Stop taking about what you see as hits and grow a backbone.

Although I have never met you but would would love the opportunity, my guess on reading your posts is that you care about the kids and the job. I bet that comes through to your superiors too. If it does then a word regarding pay may prove favourable, if your nudge returns zero response then move on.

I will make a final comment on

Your life, your choice, your mistake. You are not enslaved,you have a choice.

Disregard all of the above if you enjoy your job more than your family

sirchai likes this.
  5. sirchai

Thanks a lot for the great post. It was good to sleep over it one night and I guess I was just doing too many things in the last days that kept me too busy. And the extra hour was the spark, sorry.

There's no reason to complain about anything, life's good and I see all completely different today. Cheers.- Horse's saddled..... :go2

Stamp likes this.
  6. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

You take care, buddy. :thumbs up

sirchai likes this.
  7. sirchai

Thanks a lot for the thumbs up. Should you be interested in a cheap boat, I might be able to get you a good deal.

There are some "leftovers" from 'our flood"....:cursing

8. Internationalteacher

Internationalteacher Superwoman

I guess you are the only one who can answer that, right?
    Put your foot down if need be. I find people will respect you more if you stand your ground. 'Just say no'. I'm sure you can find a higher paying job for the work you do and are more appreciated in the process.

sirchai likes this.
  9. sirchai

Thanks a lot for your nice words, really deeply appreciated. Actually, I had a sort of a plan to resign having my new Diploma in edu, but it turned out that the degree graduation won't happen before May.

And I'm almost done. I could basically submit "the rest" now, my last assignment, but it wouldn't get me the piece of paper earlier.

I signed up for it in January, it only takes two terms to upgrade my existing BA that only touches education and I was told that it would take around 10 months to complete it. Not 16, or 17 months. I find it hard to believe but it's certainly the truth.

You'd think that you've got the right to receive a Diploma, degree, or anything similar once you've submitted, paid and passed all units, but it turned out that they do such graduations only once a year. I can live without the usual photo shooting process.

I could have signed up for the course 8 months later and it would still be the same Karabao kee. That really destroyed my whole plans as I won't be able to apply for a new position with the full license to kill..aeeh teach. Plus the time is working against me now and if they change the rules that all have to pass a test, I can possibly wipe something off with that thingy. That's all.

But shit happens all the time, so I'm just taking it easy and try not to let such "inconvenience" bother me.

Something that's complicating my situation is that I've resigned at two big schools in the city on my own and if you do that there's usually no way back. They're used to fire but not used to people who are fair and give them a six-week notice to find somebody as a replacement. And agencies took over the two biggest schools downtown a few years ago.

Even telling me that I could keep my visa for another 2 weeks was a lie. They made all that it was cancelled on the same day and I had to leave LOS on the same day.

An Aussie who resigned a few months after I did had a really hard time when the director tried all to "blacklist him" all over Thailand to make it impossible for him to find employment.

But there's no way for a director to do so when you follow simple rules or at least the contract's stipulations.

Last edited: 9 Nov 2016
    Internationalteacher likes this.
  10. Internationalteacher

Internationalteacher Superwoman

^If you aren't happy somewhere, It isn't always as easy as saying, no, I won't do something. There may be reasons why we may have to play the game or stay in our positions/school for a certain time. Thanks for reminding me about that. Sometimes change is good though and through experience I've learned not to burn my bridges. Although, in some cases, if the employer is not following their side of the contract, then sometimes you have to break it as well. Best of luck!

sirchai likes this.
  11. Clown

Clown Well-Known Member

I hear you, loud and clear.

I'm too old to feel like bothering with written lesson plans. (Don't get me wrong, each lesson requires both, planning and preparation. It's the long-winded writing, the stilted b.s. basede on Bloom's Taxonomy etc. which I don't want to do). Who will ever read or u s e these lesson plans?!?
    ^^^

A colleague is sometimes taking days off (Fridays / Mondays are popular). The last weeks, he hasn't signed out. While I was ordered to. :angry3 Stuff like that, unfair treatment, can really lead to someone resigning.

12. SageAdvice

SageAdvice Well-Known Member

And if enough folks resign, there'll be plenty of openings for Cameroonians, Nigerians and others more accustomed to the trials of local education from their own experience. Nothing can be done to right the exploitation and grievances until the locals actually establish for themselves a system that does more than defeat the spirit of education.