1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Joint filing for marrieds?

Discussion in 'Tax issues' started by Corsair, 23 Apr 2014.

1. Corsair

Corsair Thread Starter Well-Known Member

My wife does not make enough to need to file, barely.

Do I need to note on tax forms that I am married? Do I claim her as exemption? Do we need to include her income if I am working?

Clues please

2. Rastus

Rastus Well-Known Member

Are you talking about tax? I would say that if your wife's working, she should make a tax return no matter how little she makes. She will get a receipt saying she owes either something or nothing. If she has paid too much tax, she'll get a refund. It's pretty straightforward.

There's some information on the Thai Revenue Department website about Personal Income Tax for married couples. At the bottom of the page it says this:

::PIT for Married Couple::

Pursuant to Section 57 Sex of the Revenue Code, a married couple may now have 5 options in submitting their tax returns:

Each spouse files his/her tax return separately;
    The couple files their return jointly, combining the wife’s income with the husband’s income (and submit a return under the husband’s name);
    The couple files their return jointly, combining the husband’s income with the wife’s income (and submit a return under the wife’s name);
    The couple files their return jointly, but the husband files his Section 40(1) income separately;
    The couple files their return jointly, but the wife files her Section 40(1) income separately.

The main income tax page is here: ::Personal Income Tax:: It lists the allowances (tax exemptions) you can claim.

You can claim a spouse allowance of 30,000 baht but presumably only if the spouse isn't working