1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Khon Kaen City

Discussion in 'Region Guides' started by DigitalGypsy, 25 Jan 2013.

1. DigitalGypsy

DigitalGypsy Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Hi folks,

Anyone teaching in KK? I'm hoping to move there in April. What's the job front like? Cost of living? etc. Any advice?

Oh, and what would you consider to be a good entry-level salary for a newbie with no teaching experience, who has a degree and TEFL qualification? Any info at all regarding KK would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers :)

2. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

Why do you want to live in Khon Kaen?

Granted, I was there before Central opened. Back then, eating out meant First Choice or Green Parrot and the Villa complex near the bus station had traditional massage and a more intimate option. Cleopatra was still at the Sofitel, if you had money coming out your butt. The Prince theater had movies dubbed in Thai.

The old airport was a bit of a museum. The new one is just another cookie cutter Thai airport. Check out the three pyramid airport at Petchabun. It will give you something do to when you get bored.

I recall that the university had a spot or two, and an ECC had opened. There was also an AUA branch. But this was long ago.

Some members live there; I'm sure they'll weigh in. But the question remains: why KK?

3. Meanjin

Meanjin Active Member

I've heard that Khonkaen is going ahead like wildfire. Lots of industry moving there, including overseas companies.

4. chuachinsoon

chuachinsoon Well-Known Member

I live here in KK. This is my fifth year teaching here. I'm at my second school.
    Maybe 30,000Bt. A number of schools are using agencies at the moment. My school is reducing the salary for new teachers to 30,000Bt. I might get a pay cut too - from 40k to 30k. :(
    Still waiting...
    Job security here seems a bit low. The school can just change their recruiting policy regardless of how long and how good a foreign teacher is. But then, this might happen in other parts of Thailand too. Haven't had the opportunity to teach in other places yet.
    As for shopping, there's Central, Big C, 2 Tescos, Tukcom, and Makro. There are more bars now but I don't know what they're like. I don't frequent them myself.
    Cost of living? As a stingy bloke, I could get by on 20k (I've got a wife and a 6 year old son). I've known bachelors who earn like 70k a month who complained about their lack of cash so.. it depends how you spend, I guess.
    We've also got an immigration office so no need to travel to Nongkhai or Bangkok for your visas/90-day reports, etc.
    Hope this helps.

5. DigitalGypsy

Hi gungchang,

Thanks for the information, much appreciated. As for why Khon Kaen, well I've seen a lot of the country at this point, having been there a few times before. As this is my first time to actually work there I'd prefer somewhere a little quieter and relaxed. I'm eager to get some good experience under my belt and felt that somewhere off the beaten path would be a good choice. Plus, I want to get a taste of some 'authentic' culture, so to speak.

Hi chuachinsoon,

Thanks also for your insights, I'm actually liaising with an agency at the moment about placement so it's not yet confirmed that KK will be my final destination, but it was my first choice with Udon Thani as my second (I really hope I get KK however...). I too, can live quite frugally, hopefully I can pick up some extra work after hours to boost the figures tho. Thanks again for your help!

D

6. chrgrims

chrgrims Member

I've been to KK 5-6 times, and i really like it. Its a big city, but still is quite easy to get around. Not everyone wants to be in bkk even if they could get work there, im one of them.

7. po3try

po3try Guest

lots of people seem to like KK. I know nothing about it. is it a bit of middle ground of big city/rural life?

8. DigitalGypsy

Just had my first eperience of how Thailand rolls and I haven't even got there yet...

Sent an application to an agency with all documents etc and got accepted i.e. a place on a one week seminar and a confirmed job placement which follows said seminar. I was asked what would be my preference and was told they would try and accommodate me blah, blah, blah. So, I offered Khon Kaen as my first choice and I was told "we have many schools in that area" etc and to proceed with application. At this point my application has gone in and correspondence has been quite good etc, BUT I then receive an email a week later stating that they had no schools in Khon Kaen and they would be looking at the northern region of Thailand as a substitute!? :duh::duh::duh::

Yeah, I know that this should be expected from agencies, but I'm tied up at home here in Ireland and can't make it out to Thailand until April, and as it's my first stint teaching I thought I'd ease in with an agency placement. Landing there and trying to find work on the ground could be problematic as any delay would significantly impact on my finances...

So, anyone know of any (reasonable) agencies that hire for vacancies in Khon Kaen city? I plan on sending out CV /cover letters to the various schools and so on but wouldn't mind taking a shot at one or two more agencies, if only for the experience of being consistently let down :wai3:

DG

9. Harry Bean

Harry Bean Mini driving wizard!

There are a few agencies that operate in Khon Kaen but in general I haven't heard good things about them. Most of the better schools here hire directly. If you really want to try Khon Kaen then I'd suggest coming under your own steam in March / April and then show your face, dressed professionally and with a big pile of CVs.

10. chuachinsoon

chuachinsoon Well-Known Member

I heard that 4-5 of the bigger schools in the city got hold of an agency to provide them with teachers. It's almost the end of the year and there have been some complaints about the agencies. Maybe the schools won't be renewing their contracts with the agencies? It's anybody's guess here in Thailand. If you plan to come here long-term, it's something you've got to live with. There's no long-term planning here. Sometimes it's like school is starting next week and we need 2 more teachers. Who should we call?
    The next couple of months is a good time to drop your resume. Coming in in April...You might still have some time. Most of the schools do their recruiting some time between April to May.
    If you want to contact the schools directly, here's a quick list of the schools here in Khon Kaen.
    Mathayom (Secondary Schools)
    Khon Kaen Witthayayon
    Khon Kaen Withetsuksa
    Kaen Nakorn Withayalai
    Kalayanawat
    Kham Kaen Nakorn

Prathom (Primary School)to Mathayom 3
    Suan Sanuk
    Anuban Khon Kaen
    Sanambin School

Kindergarten to Mathayom
    Satit Suksasat

Mahasarakham is quite near to Khon Kaen and it has got quite a number of schools, plus a university. You might want to see if you could get a job there first before coming to Khon Kaen.
    There's Mahasarakham University and Satit Mahasarakham.

11. DigitalGypsy

Great stuff Chuachinsoon! :wai3:

Thanks for your help, I'm on the case already

DG

12. DigitalGypsy

Thanks Chuachinsoon :wai3:

Your info has been a great help. I'll be following up that list for sure!

DG

13. SaigonTed

SaigonTed New Member

Hi,

I agree with chuachinsoon. I have lived in Khon Kaen for 7 months now, and the above posters make good points, I can relate to them. KK is a decent place, but after awhile, the nightlife gets dull. Next year I plan on going to either Udon Thani or somewhere closer to BKK/Patts.

14. daiwill

daiwill Member

Having lived in Mahasarakham (which is a 1 hour drive from KK) there are more options available then the 2 listed above , in Sarakham there are two Uniiversities and many more schools. Padungnaree, Sarapkahm Pittyakom to name two, there is also a vocational college and a rajabat university, there is also a school in khosum pisai ( half way between sarakham and KK) often looking for staff. I know quite a few people in many of these establishments and they do not use agencies. In fact one guy working in the last listed Kosum P, has had a nightmare with contracts in schools in KK.
    Sarakham is a fast growing town and has many new things going on there, language schools popping up, a massive new shopping centre. it was a bit of a shitty boring town , but is changing fast, you could do worse than starting there. PM me if you want any more pointers or contacts.

15. Thailand28

Thailand28 New Member

I agree with chuachinsoon. Here in KK, there is rarely any planning ahead. If there is a meeting or classes are cancelled, you find out about it the same day. At my school the Director is ego-maniacal and childish, but most Directors probably are. I went through an agency to get my job, but some people don't like the agency, and I'm not a big fan either. At my school students walk in to class 15-20 minutes late, or sit around on school grounds while ditching class, and no teachers ever say a word to them. At my school it is more like the college-atmosphere, where students show up when (and if) they want, but if they don't come, the Thai teachers won't do anything about it. You also can't fail any students, so there's even more of an incentive for some students not to give a sh*t. I will be leaving KK once my contract ends, since I can't stand the school director and other things with the school and the agency. But, a big plus side is the students here in KK are really friendly. The younger women are a bit greedy, but maybe that's becoming the same worldwide, mate. For a new TEFL teacher, the low 30k's is a normal starting salary.