1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Korat

Discussion in 'Region Guides' started by gungchang, 2 Apr 2013.

1. gungchang

gungchang Thread Starter Well-Known Member

good: It's not Bangkok

bad: It's not Bangkok

2. SaigonTed

SaigonTed New Member

Hi All,

As it appears now, I plan on teaching in Korat next school year. Thus, can someone give me feedback on living and teaching in Korat and a synposis of all the good and bad things about the city?

Thanks! :happy1:

- - - Updated - - -

Ignore my question, I suppose I'll get it answered when I move there and start teaching there! :righton:

3. gungchang

gungchang Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Uh, I'm not the thread starter. Not that it matters.

Let's not!

It's big enough not to be rural. You will find amenities. You're only a couple of hours away from Bangkok.

It's the gateway to Isan, but not the heartland.

Korat is infamous for a hotel that added a ten floor tower. Trouble is, the built it on top of the existing hotel and the tower collapsed. I'm sure this incident is still a great source of pride for the community.

I think there was/is a horse racing track there.

There was a US military presence during the Viet Nam War. Some of those R & R massage parlors may still exist. I don't recall any shortage of watering holes. The university had some really cute students last time I was there.

(My 2nd wife is from Korat.)

As with any city other than Bangkok, the only real concern I have is getting around. A motorcycle is good, but as we were recently reminded on this forum, it is also inherently dangerous. If the school doesn't provide housing, you might ask for their help in finding something within walking distance.

4. SaigonTed

SaigonTed New Member

Thanks! I taught last in hick Khon Kaen, so this should hopefully be somewhat better. That's good to hear about the massage places and nightlife bars, that's always good to have. Yeah mate, I know what you mean about getting around; in KK there were songtaews, but it was a pain dealing with the tuk tuks and taxis, since there were few of them. In BKK, taxis are everywhere, which is a plus (hate to state the obvious lol). Plus, cute chicks at the universities are always good too!

5. Farang_Ba

Farang_Ba Active Member

I've found that Korat is a pretty decent place. The bars/pubs are spread out a bit and it's a big city, but isn't as chaotic or congested as BKK. Also, there are karaoke bars and massage parlors and places to shop (The Mall, SaveOne, and Klang Plaza). The people are nice enough, but it is scary riding a motorbike on Mittrapap Road. You may need to travel a bit to get to the happening nightlife, but overall it's decent. Plus, it's 3.5 hours from BKK and centrally located (relatively) in Thailand.