1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lampang

Discussion in 'Region Guides' started by bahn_farang, 30 Jun 2013.

1. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Thread Starter Well-Known Member

With the up and coming AEC, Lampang is positioning itself to be some sort of hub for the north. With this in mind the local schools are hiring more and more English Teachers from abroad. So I thought a Local Forum might be of some use to those thinking of coming.

Firstly Lampang is a town of contrast. It has a Central, Makro and Big C but it also still has large areas of undeveloped land in the city center. Go out of the center about 2 km and you are in the countryside.

There is a Farang Community of mixed ages and there are places where you can go to find like skin if not always minds. Having said that if you want to go native it is equally possible since the numbers of non Thais is still far less than Chiang Mai/Rai.

I hope people in Lampang will help built this thread

2. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

i am in CR, have only driven through Lampang. I had a cold and sneezed twice. by the time someone said 'Bless you', we'd already passed through ...

3. Scooter

Scooter Weirdsonofabiatch

Went to Lampang - once - a few (6?) years back. Drove around and didn't like it - so didn't bother staying. Drove off again and haven't been back there since - except for passing through on the bus to and from Bangkok.

That said - I've heard that Lampang has improved a lot these last years........ :smile2:

4. Clown

Clown Well-Known Member

Lampang is a great place to live and get some extra work. It's just the right size to offer the best of both worlds.
    Those who want can go to Chiang Mai - there are buses leaving at all times, day and night.

Next year, I'll try hard to get a job there...

5. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

My first visit, over 15 years ago, found me without my Lonely Planet guide. I found one in a bookstore and tried to memorize the map of the city.

I enjoyed the sound of horse carts very much, and didn't miss all the damn tuk-tuks. There was a restaurant with some Spanish (not Mexican) food on the menu, run by a Spanish husband and Thai wife.

I've made a few trips since then. One was shortly after 9/11. It was nice hotel, but the twin towers were the only story. The BBC theme music burned itself into my brain as I fell asleep and woke up with the TV playing.

I miss the north, but I don't want to own a car and I don't want to risk my life daily on a motorcycle.

6. Mati

Mati Well-Known Member

Listen to this...
    Lonely Planet review for Aroy One Baht
    Some nights it can seem like just about everybody in Lampang has gathered at this rambling wooden house, and understandably so: the food is tasty and embarrassingly cheap, the service lightning fast, and the setting in a wooden house-cum-balcony-cum-garden heaps of fun.

Read more: Aroy One Baht in Lampang, Thailand - Lonely Planet

7. bahn_farang

it really is a cool restaurant. would recommend the pork balls and pepper fish

8. Jilrob

Jilrob Member

Aroy One Baht is great their water spinach I love and had yellow seafood last visit very tasty. Servings are small enough to allow for a variety. There is also a decent, not great, wine shop in town a weekend walking street, quieter and nicer than some. Decent coffee, if you look for it and lots of places with live music. On your bike and head out of town and the countryside is beautiful with some nice windy hills to ride on. There will be jobs around next year, possibly next term. Suggest you PM BF for a list, he has his finger on the pulse. There is one he won't recommend, and nor will I.

9. bahn_farang

Thinking of a holiday? I lived at the elephant sanctuary for just over a year, well worth a visit. Nice break from the crazy Chiang Mai and still small enough to be personal. The town is small enough to know but big enough not to be known in.