1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SCAM Landlord's little games

Discussion in 'Residing in Thailand' started by Clown, 29 May 2016.

1. Clown

Clown Thread Starter Well-Known Member

I had moved in the middle of the month. Voila, pay again on the 1st. (Seems customary). Electricity? 8 Baht. But then no way have I used exactly 25 units. Seems 200 THB is a number the LL likes. End of story.

I'll do some checking on the actual electricity consumption and do some basic math.

It's no big deal - but I hate these shenanigans.

How are things at your apartment?

2. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

Electric went up from 400+ to 1400 this month.

Clown likes this.
  3. Clown

My rent is 2,000 B + 100 B for water and 8 B per kw/h. With a 12" notebook, a fluorescent light and a fan, I checked and found the d a i l y energy consumption to be markedly below 1 kw/h per day.

The landlady seems to be well off. The place has about 20 units. The spirit house is being well cared for => indicating she cares about the afterlife. But then, she would lie and cheat to make an extra 88 Baht?!? A woman near retirement age... Amazing!

In the past, it was much worse. There was a small aircon in the enclosed bedroom inside the apartment. My own condo had a much larger unit and I had it on pretty much 24/7. While here, I would be gone to work. It was a brand new Samsung unit... In a nutshell, they claimed more than double the electricity used in my condo. Where I also had a big PC with a hungry power supply.

When you are renting and get nice round amounts for your electricity, you might consider checking the meter now and then.

4. Tonyja

Tonyja Well-Known Member

I've got the usual 8 b/leccy 25b/water in my block. My water is always 100b and my leccy is usually around 1600. The meters are in the hallway so there's no scamming.

5. Rastus

Rastus Well-Known Member

Mine too. Its because the landlord charges that as a minimum (10 units at 10b per unit). I never use anywhere near that much water.

And if you move out in the middle of the month, your landlord will expect you to pay for the full month.

sirchai likes this.
  6. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

Oh god, I'm so glad that the landlord is a wealthy lawyer, but one of the good kind.
    He lives 150 km away and the 4 K for rent is damn cheap, considering the size of the house.

There's no cheating regarding electricity, we had our highest bill a week ago with 2,360 baht.
    The four dogs and their excremental experiences made our water usage rise from 250 baht to 580 this time.

If the three aircons need a cleanup, we just deduct it from our rent and send less money.

From time to time we receive some present s from him thru his friend. Couldn't have a better relationship with our landlord.

His friend, our neighbor, also a lawyer is more than a great guy. Couldn't be better.

But to be honest, we've lived in two of a sort of shoe box houses on the other side of our place for 10 year and it was only a few baht less.

Clown likes this.
  7. Clown

Wow, we have been paying for aircon-service ourselves. The other LL is a worrier. No payment by the 1st and he will call. We have started pre-paying a few months' rent at a time. And my inexpensive digs in rural Thailand, I'm just astonished how a wealthy LL can resort to cheating to make a few extra Baht. :huh:confused