1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Life update

Discussion in 'The Teachers Lounge' started by chrgrims, 19 Mar 2017.

1. chrgrims

chrgrims Thread Starter Member

Hi guys,

Its been a few years since I posted on these forums. A lot has happened. I abandoned the path to a teacher job because no school in my area was interested in a part time hiring. I can only teach part time because I have a back problem. We made a family decision to stay in the area and not move to a big city due to my wife's work. So the decision was made to venture into other areas. I started a golf workshop and got some business doing that. I really enjoy this kind of work because it involves understanding a new area, tinkering with equipment and also the personal connection with customers. Then I started selling tv boxes for internet tv. This just started as a service to friends, but soon expanded and still is a fun involvement. It does require a lot of travelling. It brought me to places I would never see otherwise, like Buriram and Nong Bua Lampu.

I also have a few other small projects that bring some income. I guess my experience is that it is possible to make money doing something outside of teaching, but one must be prepared to have more than more activity bringing in money because one area just isnt going to bring in enough money (in the countryside anyway). Keeping each area small also makes it possible to go under the radar in terms of the formal requirements, if you get my point. Over time though, making things formally correct will be a priority for us and will happen within the next two years.

The other thing I see is that its very difficult for a farang to make business with thais. I speak thai and tried for many years to do business with them. If you want to make money you need to deal with farangs. This is just my experience, it might be different in different areas and different groups.

2. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Well-Known Member

That's interesting.

3. Ajarn P. Paul

Ajarn P. Paul มันเป็นวันที่น่าเศร้าในวันนี้ในประเทศไทย ...

No reason to disagree... in some ways though.
    You're glad you did...at least you've practiced the language and gained more experience dealing with them.
    Some reasons to disagree...in some ways though.
    I agree with you, coming from my own personal experience where I've made / I'm making more money dealing with Thais than dealing with Farangs (..."luck" plays its own role also in some instances).

Suggestion: Since you speak the language, don't give up on doing business with Thais.

4. DavidUSA

It is easy to start some kind of small business, teach privately, or teach over the internet. A lot of teachers have private students over Skype, and the money is good considering the cost of living in Thailand.

5. chrgrims

If I were to get students online, where would I start? I learned Thai with a teacher online, so I can def see that it's possible to teach like that.

6. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

I would start with a company. DaDa ABC or 51 Talk. There are others, but these are reputable and pay on time every month. The lessons are all premade, you just show up and teach. No looking for clients, no looking for materials.... When there are as many companies out there as there are that do this kind of thing, going at it alone is a bit unnecessary.

chrgrims, DavidUSA and Stamp like this.
  7. DavidUSA

Ramses answered your question well, but here is one more school I know: VIPKID Teacher's Portal

8. chrgrims

Thanks, guys. I will take a look.