1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MA for university jobs?

Discussion in 'Staffroom' started by Clown, 26 Jul 2016.

1. Clown

Clown Thread Starter Well-Known Member

How strict is this new rule being enforced? I have a 66 y.o. colleague at my government institution...
    Good luck,with the <29,000 THB they offer usually on Ajarn.com

Permanent employees are getting paid today. Foreigners need to wait "till Friday". Is there such a discrepancy at your place of work?

2. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

This is usual practise at Gov schools. It is not just the foreigners who have to wait but also Thai short term contract staff.

3. Aj Michael

Aj Michael Well-Known Member

At PKRU everyone gets paid on the 27th.

Foreign teachers are still not required to have an MA; a BA and experience are the basic criteria.

Thai teachers are required to have an MA now, but it wasn't always so. Several of my students became colleagues upon graduating with a BA, however to advance in their career they were expected to do an MA. The present Head of Department (and also a vice dean of the faculty) was an undergraduate student in my class just 11 years ago. She did her MA part-time over several summers.

Clown and Stamp like this.
  4. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

we all get paid the last working day of the month.

@my previous school, we all got paid on the 25th. (or working day closest to it)

5. chuachinsoon

chuachinsoon Well-Known Member

Yes. But the discrepancy is not between Thai and foreign staff. It's between permanent staff and contract staff. AFAIK all foreign staff are under contract. Hence our lesser benefits and stuff. Still, things are changing in the LOS. Hoping to see something better when my son grows up.

Clown likes this.
  6. bahn_farang

Totally agree. Hoping that all unqualified staff are turfed out on their ears, this includes Thai lecturers who teach english and can't and foreigners who think that their language precludes them from qualifications

7. SundayJam

SundayJam Well-Known Member

"Their language precludes them from..."

The cardholders can be so smug in reveling in their relevance. I guess the rest of us are irrelevant and should be excluded? As an unqualified teacher, I focus on my students progressing through my efforts and care less about the careless efforts of my colleagues...including those deemed qualified.

8. bahn_farang

Alas, not all I post relates to your good self. If you feel obliged to group yourself (I didn't) with those who assume their language suggests that they are above professional qualification, then so be it. I have on reading your previous contributions assumed otherwise.

I will, as I have done so before, suggest that practice alone is insufficient, theory ought, I believe, support a teacher's practice.

Last edited: 27 Jul 2016
  9. bahn_farang

Perhaps more direct, as a father, I would prefer a teacher to have a sound knowledge of theory in addition to just speaking the language.

Smug, no, after passing the tests, and thereafter continuing my own development in addition to teaching 50+ hours a week then meeting (not you) teachers who claim to know it all by intuition (despite research) pretty much sends me over the edge.

10. SundayJam

There's two sides to every coin. Everything you've said I'd flip and call true.
    I've got nothing against you. What you've got is peace of mind. There's no argument there.

bahn_farang likes this.
  11. bahn_farang

I'd agree with you on piece of mind. For the sake of debate (and only if you have the time/inclination/evidence) flip and provide a case which suggests that, all other things equal, no professional development is better that having a sound knowledge of theory.

Likewise, for me the issue is not against you personally. I simply refute, based on the majority of research, your position. Like you say, it does not make your view necessarily wrong, but just less logically defendable.

Last edited: 28 Jul 2016
  12. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

Yes, at University all teachers irrespective of nationality should be well qualified to do their job and should hold a minimum of an MA when teaching undergrads and preferably a PhD.

However, BF you have been here a while and so have I. I taught in a University some 11 years ago for 26k pcm on a BA. Nowadays for foreign staff afaik its @30k for B.A. teacher, 35K for M.A. and 40k for PhD. In 13 years that I personally know of the pay scale has moved north oh so slightly ...and IMO it is still rather shit. Given the rate of change and possible future salaries, how can Thai Universities expect to attract well qualified teachers to accept employment on these miserable pay scales?

A well known local University made a mandate saying no new English teachers with less than an MA and 2 years experience ....tried for a year about 6 years ago and they couldn't fill their staff quota ....no surprise and back to BA ok and zero experience with some of the recent hires there.

So BF, as much as I agree with you I honestly cannot see this becoming a reality in lets say the next 13 years I am here. In reality those salaries need to double for MA and PhD teachers at a minimum. Until they address this issue nothing will change.

sirchai, Aj Michael and Stamp like this.
  13. bahn_farang

I hear you on most if not all of your points, but hope remains as it does spring eternal that things will improve and those who could benefit from professional development do so.

14. SundayJam

If it gives you peace of mind as a father and colleague to place confidence in the TCT card, there is something wrong with you. Everything I've read about the test and ifugao University suggests otherwise if this is all it takes to get a teacher's license here. It's an ideal and nothing more...guilding the the lily as it were.

I have met and worked with some amazing teachers over the years and their ability rarely had to do with official qualification. Often, the more qualified they were, the worse their performance was.

In my part-time job, I regularly change the performance of my students who are taught at international schools...for the better. ;-) I don't know what research it is that you refer to...or in what regard it has to do with getting a TCT license, but I admire anyone who betters themselves and their students by jumping through the hoops the TCT sets for them.

15. chuachinsoon

chuachinsoon Well-Known Member

25k for B.A. where I am. But it may vary from faculty to faculty.