1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

METV Kills The 2/3 Entry TR Visa

Discussion in 'Visas and extensions of stay' started by GanDoonToonPet, 13 Nov 2015.

1. GanDoonToonPet

GanDoonToonPet Thread Starter Well-Known Member

As of today, double / triple entry tourist visas are no longer available & are being replaced by a new multiple entry tourist visa (METV). The rules on obtaining this visa are rather stringent & are virtually the same in every Thai consulate around the world.

US & European consulates were quick to publish the rules but now, the one everyone was waiting for, Vientiane has thrown its hat into the ring:

METV Vientiane, Laos (English).png

Also yesterday, the famous Hull consulate in the UK also updated its website:

The salient points of the METV application process are:

1. Can only apply in your country of residence, in person.
    2. Need to show B250,000 in the bank, for 6 months prior to the application
    3. Need a letter from your boss, allowing you the time off

Now the 'O', 'ED', B2B exemption & double TR loopholes have all been closed, what's an illegally employed teacher to do?

Attached Files:

Stamp likes this.
  2. Hey_ewe

Hey_ewe Well-Known Member

I can see that they want to make things difficult for illegal teachers, however they are also going to make things very difficult for backpackers who might not be millionaire 'quality' tourists but their contribution to the economy shouldn't be underestimated. £5000/250,000 baht in a bank account for 6 months isn't realistic for most people, before I came over as a backpacker I had to work my arse off to save up money for travelling. I had more than £5k in the bank by the time I set off, but I would have really struggled to have it in the bank for a full 6 months beforehand, in fact I would have probably gone elsewhere......perhaps to a more welcoming country in the region.

3. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Meaning, only single entry tourist visas are available at Embassies and Consulates in other countries than your home country and I'm sure reports soon will find their way in the media that Embassies and Consulates in those other countries will grant you only one single entry tourist visa per calendar year.