1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mid-year break, October 2016, when and how long?

Discussion in 'Staffroom' started by Stamp, 20 Sep 2016.

1. Stamp

Stamp Thread Starter Administrator Staff Member

Our students have their final tests from Monday 26 September until Friday 30 September 2016. The Thai and foreign teachers' last day of work will be Monday 10 October 2016. We did ask to change that date into Friday 7 October 2016 but haven't got an answer yet.

Both students and teachers have to start again on Tuesday 27 October 2016.

What about you?

2. chuachinsoon

chuachinsoon Well-Known Member

My school started the mid-terms yesterday. It'll be until the 26th. School will resume on the 17th of October though it'll be sports week. AFAIK, we'll still have to sign in during the break. The students will have a short break before coming back to school to practice cheer-leading for the sports.

3. Stamp

Stamp Thread Starter Administrator Staff Member

So you can't really go on holiday so to say? :cursing

Clown likes this.
  4. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

Free Wednesday Oct 5th (2.15pm) to Monday 31st Oct ..... nice.

:thumbs up:runaround:part time

Mind you have a friend at another school in town free from this Friday 23rd to November 1st ...chushty eh.

5. Hey_ewe

Hey_ewe Well-Known Member

That is absolutely ridiculous, what next? a prison curfew tag?! What is the point of having a break if you are effectively not allowed to leave the province/city? Sounds like a North Korean prison camp rather than a school.

Our official end of term date is the 10th October, although in reality our kids are off from next Tuesday/Wednesday 27th/28th which is when they finish the Thai tests. We are pretty much done as soon as we have finished our reports. We officially have to sign in the following week but our school are fairly understanding, if you are going away you don't need to sign in. A lot of teachers either go away on holiday or return to their home countries to visit family, particularly the Filipino teachers.

The students are back on Tuesday 1st November and we are expected to be back a 2/3 days before to prepare for the next semester.

sirchai likes this.
  6. professeur

professeur Well-Known Member

Midterm tests end on 30 September and school resumes on 25 October. I'll probably come in on Monday the 3rd but I consider the rest as a holiday; regardless of what management might think.

7. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

The news do not travel with light speed at our school. All we know is that tests will he held on the 27th and 29th, ) no idea why not on the 28th, instead of the 29th) and the big man would like to keep us here as long as possible.

I was never so happy to have a holiday coming up, even if it could be only from the 15th to the 31st of October.

Now all comes together, the degree stuff, 7 different tests and I hope I can drive away for at least one week, haven't seen the ocean for six years.

8. sirchai

My school's 25 km away, so when others only come to school to sign in, I usually stay here all day long. You can't fool a fingerprint scanner, can you?

This you have to sign in insanity is so weird and it's not really helping anybody.

9. professeur

professeur Well-Known Member

Sounds like time to look for greener pastures.

Hey_ewe likes this.
  10. Hey_ewe

Hey_ewe Well-Known Member

During the official term is fair enough but to be expected to sign in during the holidays, IMHO they are just doing that out of spite. It serves no purpose whatsoever, other than to annoy and demoralise your teachers. It sounds like a very good way to increase your staff turnover. It seems to show a kind of 'you will do what you're told foreigner' attitude by the school management. I would be looking for another job ASAP. Maybe its a great place in all other respects but I believe most teachers need some holiday time at the end of each semester to clear their heads and recharge the batteries.

professeur and sirchai like this.
  11. sirchai

Wise words. Time for a break.......:thumbs up

12. GanDoonToonPet

GanDoonToonPet Well-Known Member

I was due to to finish on 9th & return on 26th but with starting a new school on the inter calendar...

No holidays until December (S1 mid-terms in 3 weeks) but have the thick end of the month off. 'International Day', whatever that is, on 1st then 2 weeks off over xmas / new year along with the usual public hols. :smile

13. po3try

po3try Well-Known Member

congrats Gan! any clue to where you're teaching?

international day at ours is where we all dress up in our countries clothing, have a big assembly then try to continue with lessons whilst feeling terribly uncomfortable for the rest of the day.

14. GanDoonToonPet

GanDoonToonPet Well-Known Member

Thanks. :thumbs up

Actually, looking at the calendar again it says 'classes cancelled' so probably the same as above. :hilarious

PM imminent. :smile

15. chuachinsoon

chuachinsoon Well-Known Member

No. Not officially. Our contracts state that we can't take leave for the first 6 months. And this is my sixth year here. Obviously nobody has been looking at the contracts and/or bothered to change them. But unofficially, most teachers don't come in anyway. I've taken only 2 days of six leave in 5.5 years, so it's not a big deal for me. I either play music alone in the office or read. And this year I'm doing my Masters so I'll be using the time to do lots of reading. Once I finish the Percy Jackson series, that is. :P
    Oh. And this is a standard contract that's used for the Thai contract teachers too.

Hey_ewe likes this.