1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Muang Thong Thani, Pakkret, Nonathaburi

Discussion in 'Region Guides' started by r.a.s.n, 9 Aug 2012.

1. r.a.s.n

r.a.s.n Thread Starter New Member

Where is the city, town or village?

Northern suburb of Bangkok. About 20ish km from downtown Sukhumvit. Expressway exit dumps you right into Muang Thong.

What's available for foreigners in regard to schools?
    Pakkret is the greater area around Muang Thong...
    A partial list of primary and secondary schools in Pak Kret:

1. Pakkred Secondary School[1]
    2. Nawamintarachinuthid Horwang Nonthaburi School (also called Horwangnon)[2]
    3. Suan Kularb Wittayalai Nonthaburi School (also called Suannon)
    4. Triamudom Suksa Nomklao Nonthaburi School(also called Triam Nom Non )
    5. Wat Poramai Yigawat School
    6. Wat Salakun School
    7. Pichaya Suksa School
    8. International School Bangkok
    9. Rose Marie Academy
    10. Saint Francis Xavier School
    11. Brighter Future school
    12. AUA
    by Wikipedia

What are the costs of living there?

Really depends on lifestyle. Rent for small studio/1BR apt. can be as low as 3,000 B/month. That's in a very populated area and not too chic (at least for my taste). Those are called the "Popular Condos" very near Impact Arena/Challenger. Within 5 km you have the "Lakeside Condos" which range from 8,000-25,000 B/month. I live there. 120 square meters, 3 BR, 2.5 baths, 2 tennis courts, swimming pool - 16,000 B/month.

How about entertainment and social activities? Will I be the only foreigner in the city?

There are more and more and more of us. When I came in 2003 I was one of a FEW foreigners here. SO few that every time my husband saw a foreigner he would ask "Are they a teacher at your school?" Now there are lots here.

There are 3 theaters - a Major, Major Hollywood, and SFX in the Central mall.

And of course there is Impact Arena and Challenger! All the best fairs are here - nearly every week there is something on. From the International Dog Show to the Motor Show to BIG/BIH, Jewelry show, all the music concerts are held here - I saw Linkin Park there a few years ago.

You will also find many bars, coffee shops, karaoke, etc. scattered throughout the city.

There is also a VERY NICE jogging park that's nearly 2 km. It has a path that goes around a beautiful lake. There's lots of people there every day - walking, jogging, biking...it's really great!

There are also LOTS of massage places. In my street alone I think my last count was 11? I know from when my brother-in-law visited that at least some of them are more "friendly" than others, if that's your thing.

Shopping and such?

We have all the major supermarkets - Tesco, Big C, Big C Extra, Makro, and 3 Villa supermarkets!

There is a local market where you can find lots of good food, and lots of market shopping every night! There are 3 aspects to the market. It has one area that sells all types of vegetables - and i mean ALL. I buy capsicum there, asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, even red onions! And it's sooo cheap! Another area you can eat there. Some stalls have prepared food in the trays and other stalls will cook it on the spot. The third area is for consumer goods. It's got everything from 80 baht DVDs to 199 baht shirts. Every first and last Sunday of the month is a HUGE outdoor market which spans nearly half the city.

We also have Central Chaengwattana which is freaking brilliant. Besides Central department store, there are many many many shops that you find in the other malls.

For dining out there are lots of options. At the Avenue you find Fuji, Sizzler, Burger King, Swensens, a couple other Japanese places, Hot Pot, etc. Central mall has the usual, as well as Au Bon Pain (which delivers) and a restaurant I just discovered last year which is pretty darn good called Sante Fe something. There's also a nice Italian restaurant that everyone knows that has Sunday all you can eat buffet for 300 or 400 baht.

Local Transportation?

Everything you can think of - bus, taxi, motorbike, minivan, songtaew...everything but tuk tuks.

There is also a large minivan service that runs to Victory Monument, Silom (I think), Mor Chit, a couple other places but I don't know where as I don't use the minivan.

Impact also has its own minivan which is much more comfortable to ride in for an extra 5 baht (I think that ride is 30) it takes you to the Mor Chit metro station.

Advantages of living there?

IF you like life in suburbia - this is the definition of that! It's my perfect place - not too much traffic (certainly nowhere NEAR downtown), anything you could want is within 5 km, whether it's local market shopping or big department store/imported goods. It's nice and quiet but if you want to have fun there's places to go out with friends or hang out where there are lots of people around that you are SURE to strike up conversations in no time!

Disadvantages?
    It's definitely NOT like downtown Bangkok. If you like life in the city, fast paced, social, clubbing type, you will be bored here, IMO. For me, the ONLY disadvantage is not having Food by Phone!:verysad:

Final round up of the city, town or village

Overall, like I said previously, it depends on your lifestyle. If you're someone who likes to party and stumble through the streets at 3 am after a night out - that's not going to happen in Muang Thong. You're not going to find ping pong shows, or streets lined with bar after bar after bar with girls yelling "I take care you one hour!" :no::biglaugh:That is not to say that this kind of entertainment is unavailable. Being female, I don't know about that aspect of Muang Thong. From what I hear it's not hard to find.

I love that I can go to 7-11 every morning and I don't even have to ask them for 2 ham cheese toasties. They just know because I get it almost every morning. I love that I have a shop downstairs in my building that lets me pay her later if I don't have enough cash to buy beer. I LOVE Muang Thong Thani!!!

2. po3try

po3try Guest

Thanks. I always imagined it a bare and industrial place. Not sure why. Sounds like a place I'd like to live.

3. Meanjin

Meanjin Active Member

That was really very interesting!
    My first thought was "Why would anyone want to post about Mueang Thong Thani?", but I read every word with interest.
    Thanks r.a.s.n.