1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My visa is for 90 days. Is that normal?

Discussion in 'Visas and extensions of stay' started by KhruRandy, 7 Jul 2016.

1. KhruRandy

KhruRandy Thread Starter Member

My visa is for 90 days. Is that normal? The staff here - Thai - say must have work permit and teaching letter before can get more than 90 days visa.

Is this a typical experience?

2. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

Yes (and very typical upon entering a new job without WP ...often based upon a contract letter only thus 90 days gives you plenty of time to sort your paperwork out to then apply for a 1 year (or less pending contract length)non imm B visa).
    Umm, no WP yet? No khurusapha waiver or other documentation depending on where you work/your work title? Better get on their case as I take it you have a 90 day non imm B visa which will expire and is non-renewable/extendable without the appropriate documents..... no docs and back to a tourist visa along with all the hassles it encompasses.

Last edited: 7 Jul 2016
  3. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

An initial non-immigrant B visa is valid for 90 days only. Normal procedure is that within those 90 days the application for the work permit has been done. Before expiration of the 90 days, the holder applies for an extension of stay based on employment.

Work permit requirements.
    Initial Work Permit Application (WP.1 update 2012) for Foreign Teachers in Thailand | Thailand Teaching Asia - Living and Teaching in Thailand

Extension of stay requirements.
    Criteria and Conditions for Temporary Stay - Immigration Order 327/2557 | Thailand Teaching Asia - Living and Teaching in Thailand

sirchai likes this.
  4. Mati

Mati Well-Known Member

My school said they will get paperwork from our local immigration office. I am hoping a month is long enough...

5. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

Arrai Na? Your school needs to get in touch with the educational area xx office, because you need that document that they're aware that you're working at school zzz.

Please see Stamp's post and see what documents are needed. It might be better if you go to Khurusapha in person with somebody from your school.

Such applications needed up to 4 months, or longer not too long ago, but can easily be done in a few days now.

Please bear in mind that they just leave your application somewhere if only one document is missing and they do not contact you to ask for it.

Once you've got ALL documents together, it's possible to apply for it in the morning and pick the provisional TL up in the afternoon. Best of luck.

6. Mati

Mati Well-Known Member

Oh thanks. I have been to Khurusapha even before I started my 3 trips to Laos and 2 to CM. they gave me 2 years worth of something... I am at the stage where I thought I just needed to get a year visa extention in CMai before my 3 month visa runs out.

7. sirchai

2 years worth of something? You need a provisional teacher's license, good for two years to be able to apply for a visa and work permit.

You don't get a one year extension, only as long as your contract runs.

Once you've got your provisional TL, you can visit the local Immigration your school belongs to and apply for an extension, then to the labor department to apply for a work permit.

P.S. If you're trying to do that a week before your extension from Laos ends, you'll have to start over again and leave the country. A pain in the butt.......

get all your docs sorted out NOW !!!

Mati likes this.
  8. Mati

Mati Well-Known Member

Ok, so I did get a two year provisional teacher's license from Khrusapha, and got both 3 month visa and work permit on the basis of that.

My school probably referred to the local immigration they belong to to apply for an extension. I will do that asap, thanks for all the advice.

9. KhruRandy

The school said they have a waiver for something, and now they need my transcripts and a letter of verification for my degree. I studied finished abroad, but I think should not be the big case.

If I understand, the school will get a work permit before my visa will be extended. The verification and transcripts are needed for the extension or the work permit? I read some post about police clearance, but have not been asked for this.

10. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

AFAIK, police clearance checks only apply when applying for a non-immigrant B visa at an Embassy or Consulate.

Degree verification may apply to
    - applying for a TCT provisional teaching permit
    - converting a tourist visa or other visas into a non-immigrant B visa for teaching.

KhruRandy likes this.
  11. sirchai

There're some schools in lower northeast who want to see a degree verification from the employee.

I think it's a criteria from the particular educational area the school belongs to.

It's the job of our coordinator to check on our degrees. No idea how she's doing that.

12. KhruRandy

OK, I understand. Thank you Stamp.

13. sirchai

:go10

Mati likes this.
  14. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

Speaking of the police "Which of Santa's lists am I on?" reports, as a US citizen am I eligible to get one from the Thai police near Siam Station OR do I need to deal with the FBI?
    For those of us looking at renewing a license after five years, I understand that we need 80 hours of "improvement." This can be a collection of ten certificates of participation at a morning or afternoon seminar, OR something like the CELTA alone will fill the requirement. (This assumes that anybody checks.)

Has anybody done this recently? Stamp, didn't you qualify on TCT TKT 8?

Mati likes this.