1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Myanmar Teaching Qualifications

Discussion in 'Staffroom' started by Mr. Chips, 16 Oct 2016.

1. Mr. Chips

Mr. Chips Thread Starter Member

This is my first time starting a thread so please bear with me. I was going to wait for another member to ask the question that I am going to initially direct to Joko. I have a feeling that others might be wondering the same thing. The tittle above already alludes to the question, so (Joko) can you give some quick feedback on what it takes to legally teach in Myanmar.
    I love it here in Thailand (first entry 1986) and have a Thai/American family. However, it never hurts to be educated in what's happening around you. Thanks in advance.

DavidUSA, Stamp and bahn_farang like this.
  2. Mr. Chips

As to not single out Joko, if anyone has any info. that would obviously be OK. I reckon this probably has been hit on in the past, however, most recent color might add something.
    Thx.

3. Joko

Joko Active Member

Myanmar doesn't have any of these silly requirements their neighbors have. There is no such thing as a 'work permit' in this country.

If someone will hire you, you can work here legally. For 10 weeks at a time. That is the length of the business visa, so every two and a half months, you gotta do a visa run. A good employer, like mine (and we happen to be hiring at the moment), pays for it, has their own requirements (NES, CELTA), but that's as far as it goes.

I've had colleagues who were highly qualified, in that they've got decades of experience teaching English, who've come here from Thailand because they didn't have that degree now insisted upon by the Ministry of Labor.

Wangsuda likes this.
  4. Mr. Chips

Thanks!
    That's as good an answer as I could hope for.

All the best.