1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some advice with tax, please

Discussion in 'Tax issues' started by Mr Pete, 1 Jan 2013.

1. Mr Pete

Mr Pete Thread Starter Active Member

Hi everyone and Happy New Year.

I hope everyone is keeping well.

I could really do with some advice about my tax situation and how it will affect my Non-B visa extension at the end of April this year.

I started work at the beginning of August (first job), and got my Work Pemit at the beginning of October. I hadn't been paying any tax at all, and at the end of December I asked payroll the reason for this.. They said I need to get a tax number first... GREAT!!!

So I went down to the tax office and I now have a tax number which I will be photocopying and giving the copy to the school..so I will be paying tax from January.. What concerns me is that I believe that I need a tax receipt for 2012 to be able to get my new Non-B extension at the end of April this year. As I have not paid any tax, how is this possible? Any advice on what I should / need to do?

The tax office have a copy of my contract which states that I commenced work August 2012, so maybe they will send me a bill for tax due for 2012.. The only problem with this is that I think they have taken my school's address to be my address..Or is it more than likely that if I go to the tax office in March they will inform me of how much I owe for 2012? I can then pay, and get a receipt.

I would be very grateful for any advice.

Thanks,

Pete

2. wjblaney

wjblaney New Member

Disclaimer: I have no real knowledge of Thai income tax obligations as applied to foreign teachers here in LOS but, IME, don't sweat it. I've finished two full years here and haven't paid a cent of Thai income tax. And not because I'm hiding from the tax man. The head of my foreign language dept. took me to the tax office last year and they said I didn't owe anything. I don't know why but I didn't argue. Also, if you do owe taxes, you can pay after the new year (for the previous year). Make sure you have a good translator when you go down there.

3. magnumforce

magnumforce Active Member

If you started work in August you will not be liable to pay any tax unless your salary is massive. They will give you a receipt for zero tax paid. That'll do for your visa. :thumbsup2:

4. Mr Pete

Thanks for your replies wjblaney and magnumforce..I appreciate it.

This might sound stupid magnumforce, but how would I go about getting this receipt? Would I need to go down to the tax office? and if so, when can I get it?

Cheers :smile:

5. magnumforce

You should go to the tax office with your payslips from your school, your work permit, your passport and your tax i.d. card. You could probably go this month but I think you have until the end of March to file your tax returns. They'll do the calculations and issue you with a receipt for zero baht tax paid. The receipt is similar to what you get from a shop so photocopy it asap before it fades.

Maybe bring somebody with you who can translate for you, if you can't speak Thai.

6. Mr Pete

That's great Magnumforce, cheers.

For 2012 I only have my payslips for Nov and Dec, was getting paid cash aug/sep/oct and not sure if the school will have them) do you think this will be a problem? The tax office have a copy of my contract stating I started in August and the salary is the same as the payslips. Cheers

7. magnumforce

You will need to get the a payslip for each month you paid tax, although you shouldn't have been paying any tax while working without a work permit. In fact, you shouldn't have been working at all.:happy1:

Bottom line. If the school paid you and deducted tax from Aug-Oct, you will need to get a payslip from them to show the tax office.

8. keetao

keetao Guest

Unless you claim to have 72 wives and 1000 kids, the people in the tax office will ask very few or no questions at all as long as the main tax form in filled in correctly. It's usually a very quick and painless process. Just pop down to them with what you have and if they need anything more, they will let you know.

9. Mr Pete

Cool.. Thanks for all of your replies.. It's appreciated. Cheers.

10. wjblaney

wjblaney New Member

I'm curious how many of you file income tax returns for your country of citizenship. I'm a U.S. citizen and the IRS requires reportage of foreign income, if you file a tax return. You have to file a tax return, if you meet certain minimum requirements: filing status, your age, your income, your dependency status, and whether you meet a few other special requirements. The minimum income requirement (for Americans) is $9,500, which is approx. 285000 baht or only 30,000 baht/mo. for 9.5 months (that happens to be my exact salary...:smile2:).

11. keetao

keetao Guest

12. irishprincess

irishprincess New Member

You may want to visit the IRS website and fully read their Publication #54...specifically Item #4 in that publication. You more than likely qualify for the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion. Read carefully the section about your "Tax Home" it is not like in the U.S. our tax home. I believe you will meet the exclusion criteria...provided you are not (and I am laughing as I write this) earning more than $95,100!! I filed and paid my taxes that I sadly thought I was required to for tax year 2011...but having fully read about the FEIE, I will be filing the Exclusion this year!!! You can find the publications at this link Publications Online Good Luck!!

- - - Updated - - -

You may want to visit the IRS website and fully read their Publication #54...specifically Item #4 in that publication. You more than likely qualify for the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion. Read carefully the section about your "Tax Home" it is not like in the U.S. our tax home. I believe you will meet the exclusion criteria...provided you are not (and I am laughing as I write this) earning more than $95,100!! I filed and paid my taxes that I sadly thought I was required to for tax year 2011...but having fully read about the FEIE, I will be filing the Exclusion this year!!! You can find the publications at this link Publications Online Good Luck!!

13. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

^The OP is about Thai tax, not American income tax (even looks like Pete hails from the UK judging by his flag).

re: foreign income exemption - that only applies to money earned outside the states, and you are still required to file a tax return even if you derive all your income from a foreign country while paying taxes and residing abroad.

I've not read any of the tax law publications in a couple of years, but the general gist of the feie is you live and work abroad (your primary residence is outside the US, even if you maintain a residence in the US), any amount of money you earn abroad - that does not exceed a certain limit (95.1K it looks like by the post above) is tax exempt.

It should be important to note, that any holdings (investments) in the US that a taxpayer may have is still taxable, only your income here will be tax exempt.

14. wjblaney

wjblaney New Member

lol

- - - Updated - - -

There are actually two forms you should file: Form 1116 (Foreign Tax Credit) and Form 2555-EZ (Foreign Earned Income Exclusion). Thanks for that!

- - - Updated - - -

I disagree. The thread title says it all, no? Secondly, I asked for responses from all nationalities. Thirdly, why start a new thread when a topic is not unrelated, by any means, to the topic in the original post?

15. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

:confused: The OP (i.e. Original Post(er)) states concern over renewing a non-B without a tax receipt. I have no idea how paying taxes to your mother country could possibly affect renewing one's WP ...
    :happy1: Yep, and is explained in the 1st post the exact advice being sought.
    :confused: I thought it was Pete who posed the question..
    :happy1: I think this would be a most excellent idea. I don't see tax receipts for obtaining WP renewals in the same light that I see keep the IRS off my back...

Keeping things in their proper places does a lot to avoid confusion, no? :cheers2:

FYI - if you filed a tax return that did not take a FEIE, you can file a Form 1040X (I think ... check the IRS website to be sure) to amend your tax return for any year that you overpaid. Make sure that you attach the appropriate schedules, and send it registered mail to the IRS. Amended returns are handled very expeditiously, but I would not want to try to pull a fast one on an amended return... I don't recall having an efile option for an amended return, but that may have changed in the past couple years. If you have any other US tax questions, speak up, I'll help where I can.