1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New requirement to notarise your degree at your embassy

Discussion in 'Visas and extensions of stay' started by magnumforce, 1 Oct 2015.

1. magnumforce

magnumforce Thread Starter Active Member

Hi guys,

Fresh off the press. My colleague went to Jomtien Immigration yesterday to renew his Non-B and was told that in future all teachers at our language school must have our degrees notarised by our respective embassies in order to have our renewals processed.

Has anyone else been told about this new requirement or is it just Jomtien specific?

Kind regards,

MF

Stamp likes this.
  2. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Not heard of this before. If this is a national rule, loads of reports will come in January (start at 2nd semester + 90 days) or in April/ May 2016 (yearly renewal).

I can see Immigration's point in regards to language centres and the like as they fly under the radar of the TCT and the OCSC degree database.

3. magnumforce

What point is that? God forbid the TCT ever have anything to do with where I work now, the incompetent buffoons that they are. I sincerely hope that this is just an attempt by Immigration to look like they are tightening things up after the public roasting they got over those patsys, sorry, alleged bombers. After a while things may get back to normal again.

4. JimB

JimB Member

It seems embassies won't normally notarize degrees. Therefore, I'm sure the OP has not heard a new requirement for language schools. However if reported accurately, it could be a Thai local immigration officer's way of refusing an extension for a particular school or teacher in Jomtien.

USA

"Notarial services we cannot provide include;
    Notary Services | Bangkok, Thailand - Embassy of the United States

UK

"Where local notaries can provide services, the British embassy will not provide them.

Consular staff in Thailand can:
    • administer an oath, affirmation or affidavit
    • witness a signature
    • make a certified copy of a document
    • unite documents
    • letter confirming pension/income for retirement visa in Thailand"
    Notarial and documentary services guide for Thailand - Detailed guidance - GOV.UK

5. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

^without going too far off topic, neither the US nor UK embassies notarize docs? I need to get a power of attorney notarized, where would I go if not the embassy?

6. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

My sister in California has a power of attorney. She made a color photocopy of my diploma, wrote something on the back, and notarized it.

This may be similar to making a written statement that the diploma is authentic and giving the written statement a seal from the consulate. I also have a "super diploma" which has been blessed by the U.S. Dept. of State and was signed by Condoleezza Rice.

It would be easier if Syam would accept an apostille. One's donkey is still going to eat a window, though.

7. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

Perhaps you can draw up a new power of attorney, sign it in front of a consular officer, and have it notarized. That way the consulate isn't authenticating anything. They're simply certifying that you are the person who signed a written statement.

ramses likes this.
  8. Cal Roy

Cal Roy Well-Known Member

The US embassy will notarize documents for you. They just aren't going to guarantee your degree for you. I had to do it for my visa and it is a waste of time, money and energy. All the embassy will do is say that You Swore That These Documents are accurate. Whole lotta nothin.

sirchai, Stamp and ramses like this.
  9. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

thanks!

10. Rastus

Rastus Well-Known Member

GanDoonToonPet likes this.
  11. Stamp

What should I do in my case? I'm a Dutch national with a degree from a UK university.

12. Rastus

Rastus Well-Known Member

Check your university is on their list as an officially recognised institution first.

Check if a university or college is officially recognised - GOV.UK

Then make an appointment to get it done. I see no reason why they wouldn't do it.

GOV.UK - Consular Appointments - {{getCurrentStepTitle()}}

Last edited: 4 Oct 2015
    Stamp likes this.
  13. Stamp

14. magnumforce

15. Hey_ewe

Hey_ewe Well-Known Member

It wasn't need for me recently, although I have heard of people being asked for this, particularly for new teachers trying to get thier first Non imm B visa.

Never mind one immigration office having different rules, each officer can be different from another and from one day to the next. It makes the annual merry go round so much fun!!

bahn_farang likes this.