1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New teacher's license qualifications?

Discussion in 'Qualifications & Courses' started by natewill, 2 Jun 2016.

1. natewill

natewill Thread Starter Active Member

Council set to test all English teachers | Bangkok Post: news

TLDR: So a 'working group' has suggested that Khurusapa either issue or approve English-teaching certificates to both foreign and Thai teachers. Light on detail, and full of 'maybes', but maybe there's hope for us currently without a gold card...?

I'm still planning on taking the IFUGAO course either way.

Stamp likes this.
  2. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Council set to test all English teachers
    2 Jun 2016 at 07:59

According to the Education Ministry, native speakers and Thai teachers are required to graduate in education to teach at primary and secondary schools. Those without such a degree can be allowed to teach for a certain time, but they still need to attend extra training to obtain teaching licences, Mr Chaiyot said.

However, under the plan, the new certificates approved by Khurusapha and the British Council will immediately earn them the right to teach English.

Please credit and share this article with others using this link:Council set to test all English teachers | Bangkok Post: news

I honestly don't think this will happen. I think this will be mandatory test for both foreign and Thai teachers to obtain a provisional teaching permit.

3. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

Can read the development part in the story 2 ways I think ...yes, you still have to do a postgrad type of thing or no, and sit a competency test. Interesting 'to swell the ranks' so maybe the latter as postgrad stuff is not overnight.
    Watch this space again ...more maybes, more promises ....oh well and oh noooo ! the rule bending BC to the rescue once more lol.

4. Stamp

I think it's the safest road to a TCT teacher license.

Yeah, probably. Same story, other header.

A couple of years ago the Minister of Education came with the idea to grant graduates of subjects that they will teach in an educational institution a teacher license. At that time the MOE wast talking about math, science and English language graduates. The idea was obstructed by..........The Teachers' Council of Thailand.

5. Stamp

The arguments of the TCT were that being a graduate in math, science or English doesn't mean you can teach it in basic education schools.

6. crew

crew Faber College Member

So it would seem the MoE wants all ELT professionals to hold a basic certificate for TEFL. Now why didn't I, or an entire team of TESOL certificate providers for that matter, think of that?

7. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

I didn't read that.....

Thai and native teachers of English language will have their knowledge certified by the Khurusapha Teachers Council under a plan to assure students they have teachers with "real" English-language abilities.

Looks more like proficiency than teaching ability... not a big issue for real NES but certainly a huge deal for NNES pretending to be NES (complete with their 500 level TOEIC tests in hand).

*not that I have a problem with teachers actually learning how to teach (TEFL courses are not a bad thing - but I do have issues with the dream sellers who promote them, "Teach and travel your way around Asia".)

sirchai and Ajarn Greg like this.
  8. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

This would be KSP creating their own TEFL course would it not and lining their pockets with the proceeds.

Gor Blimey Guvnur! likes this.
  9. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

I heard more along the lines of being required to take a TOEIC or similar..... but the requirement will be to prove proficiency and be awarded "permission to teach" based on that rather than needing a valid teaching qualification or even a TEFL cert ...

one step forward, two steps to the side and 3 steps out on some obtuse angle.

The only issue is that for foreign teachers.... there is nothing different that the status quo.

10. Mr. Chips

Mr. Chips Active Member

At least the topic of non-English majors is being addressed, even if only for one day.

11. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

Sadly the quality of some English Majors is poor and majors in other subjects are better speakers and users of English and are better teachers. Hopefully this new hoop will enable real talent to be recognised.

Sadly last time I looked I live in Thailand and this new initiative will all be forgotten in a short while

NODIIT likes this.
  12. crew

crew Faber College Member

But as the article is written, is it clear if they're assessing language and/or teaching? I've read it more than once and I'm still not sure. I can see the way you read it and then there's, "The British Council, which organises English courses and tests, may be asked to provide advice on ways to test teachers' proficiency as well as their teaching skills, said Mr Chaiyot, also acting secretary-general...

They certainly seem to be cuddling up to the BC this year.

Genuinely interested in the source of this information.

:confused