1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie...have Non-B now go to TCT?

Discussion in 'Welcome Newbies' started by Jimcarr65, 7 Apr 2016.

1. Jimcarr65

Jimcarr65 Thread Starter Member

Hello All,

Glad to have found a site for just teachers. I have gone round and round on Thai Visa and it's been difficult. Went to Laos last month for Non-B, missing document from school and the police clearance. Came back with a tourist visa. My question is this. I am going back to Laos with hopefully all the required paperwork. When I come back with the Non-B, what is my next step? I have been here two years, but worked for a language school. They required I had a work permit, but not a provisional license. So, now that I am at a private school and I have been accepted to teach they are telling me that when I get back I need to go to the TCT and get the provisional waiver myself? I would think the school would do that for me? Don't they need a representative from the school there, or can they just send me with the paperwork?. Then after that, do I go to the Labor Office for the work permit, or does the school do that for me? The admin at this school does not seem very happy or helpful towards me. I told her that I would like to make sure all the paperwork is there, so I don't have to come back again on a tourist visa. I was very nice and polite and even brought her some cookies. There was no expression, just silence. So I have a feeling I will be doing a lot of this on my own. This school is good, other teachers are nice and I want to stay, but this hurdle will be a tough one. Any comments on how to go about this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Mati likes this.
  2. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Spread the word and
    :welcome2

You don't have to go abroad again. You can change a tourist visa into a non-immigrant B visa at Immigration HQ or some other selected Immigration Offices.

Changing a Tourist Visa or Exemption into a Non-Immigrant B (working as a teacher) | Thailand Teaching Asia - Living and Teaching in Thailand

If this is your first provisional teaching permit and you meet all requirements, there will be no problems to do it yourself. Like other members will confirm, some schools do it for their teachers, others don't.
    With copies of the provisional teaching permit you can apply for your work permit. More info can be found here: Work permits | Thailand Teaching Asia - Living and Teaching in Thailand

Your non-immigrant B visa has to be extended after 90 days. It's also a requirement to have a provisional teaching permit when extending the permission of stay based on employment as a teacher.

More info here: Visas and extensions of stay | Thailand Teaching Asia - Living and Teaching in Thailand

Mati likes this.
  3. GanDoonToonPet

GanDoonToonPet Well-Known Member

Hi. Do you have a list of documents required when applying for the provisional teaching permit?

Also, when changing from T -> B in Bangkok, one has first to apply to the MoE for some document (letter of intent?)

Without a rep from the school, I imagine it will be a bit of a headache.

4. Teacher MARK

Teacher MARK Banned

If the school is not helping you with this then they don't want you.
    Consider a school that will respect you and your offer to work for them.

daiwill and Mister T like this.
  5. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Mati likes this.
  6. Mati

Mati Well-Known Member

I am under the impression that starting at a new school I have to get the nonB at Laos after getting my tourist visa, since w/p was cancelled and thus automatically my nonB visa. I am going to play along and see Laos as my holiday trip this third time ;)

Stamp likes this.
  7. Mati

Mati Well-Known Member

Ps Now that I have learnt the hard way: no BKKBank atm's, But you can pay with your debit card in eateries such as Pizza ..., the Kip may sound shockingly high but drop the last 3 zeros and multiply by 4 to get Thai Baht, the Riverside has no really visible river but the Rio atmosphere and watching cars going the "wrong way" make up for the dearth of water, water also costs double... I am ready to find the swimming pool mentioned elsewhere, walk along the red tops market after 5pm until I find the gorgeous embroidered cloths depicting scenes in Laos., get people to speak Laos to me...and get a hat for goodness sake!

Stamp likes this.
  8. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

I've missed something.
    Are you in Vientiane or S'ket?

9. SundayJam

SundayJam Well-Known Member

A tourist visa can be converted into a non-b in Thailand. I just returned from Laos and the sole purpose was to get a two month tourist visa because the contract from my school could not be supplied in time for a non-b. I will convert it to a non-b.

No school has ever been able to produce the necessary documents for an out of country non-b entry visa. It has nothing to do with whether or not a school wants you.

Stamp likes this.
  10. Jimcarr65

Jimcarr65 Thread Starter Member

I have to agree with SundayJam's comments. And, I take the words of wisdom about working for a school that appreciates me to heart. I find that I am very well liked and all the Thai teachers speak highly of me (from what I have been told). The problem in my case is that the woman in the admin office who is in charge of gathering all the correct paperwork for the foreign teachers has very little experience with this. On the first day I met with the school and asked for the paperwork, I received an email asking "can you send us a list of documents you need to take to Laos to obtain your Non-B Visa". At this point I knew there were going to be problems. However, for personal and logistical reasons I have decided to stay at the school. The new term starts May 12th and I have all of April to get everything in order.

Last edited: 9 Apr 2016
    GanDoonToonPet and Mati like this.
  11. luibkk

luibkk Well-Known Member

Perhaps in your case. I've got Non-B visas in Penang and Vientiane with documents from my schools in the past and just last year a newly hired teacher from England came over with a Non-B issued in London. It can be done.

12. SundayJam

LOL, I know it can be done. It just can't be done by any of the schools I've worked for.

13. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

I would beg to disagree.
    We routinely process non-B applicants in both Vientiane (for schools west and north of Bangkok) and Penang (for our Southern schools).
    We also routinely process non-B applications through Manila as well as converting TR visas to non-B visas "in Thailand".

14. SundayJam

LOL...Again, I'll re-post my response to luibkk. They finally started handing out requirements at the embassy in Vientiane. If my school had contracts etc. prepared prior to my last trip to Laos a couple of weeks ago, I'd have a non-b instead of a 2 month tourist visa.

15. Mati

Mati Well-Known Member

At Laos your documents get checked before you hand in your passport and docs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk