1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No kids at school next Monday?

Discussion in 'Staffroom' started by sirchai, 9 Jan 2017.

1. sirchai

sirchai Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Sawasdee khrap,

I've just received the news about next week that no students will come to school on Monday because of the Children's Day which is on the 14th of January.

Did anybody hear something similar? It's possible that it's only my school, but could be a nationwide decision to let the kiddies enjoy a long weekend.

And Tuesday morning is again test day and my three hours are in the morning.

2. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

No the real reason is teachers day which is on the 16th.

3. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Yup. Monday 16 January 2017 is Teachers' Day. No students in school. Thai teachers have to attend ceremonies and lunch. :thumbs up

I heard that at your school, sirchai, foreign teachers also have to attend the ceremonies. :aloof

In our province, on that day the foreign teachers are most probably off. :smiling

sirchai and covertjay like this.
  4. Ajarn P. Paul

Ajarn P. Paul มันเป็นวันที่น่าเศร้าในวันนี้ในประเทศไทย ...

Correct.

Teacher’s day (วันครู Wan Kruu) is celebrated every year on January 16th in Thailand, it is also a school holiday.

It is the day that teachers gather together to remember their first teachers.

Thai people believe that any field of work will have a teacher such as actors, dramatist, magician, astrologist and even boxers.

Therefore, we need to have a Wai Kru ceremony to worship or respect the teacher.

The highlights of the day include religious activities, a ceremony of paying respect to teachers and activities to strengthen unity among teachers.

Every year on this day, the Prime Minister or an important poet will establish the motto for teachers.

5. gungchang

gungchang Over the hill for at least the 6th time!

I'm going to arrive on the 15th. Maybe I can crash the proceedings somewhere.

6. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

perhaps you could be Sirchai's +1

7. tiredtony

tiredtony Well-Known Member

My government school is Bangkok is closed for the day. No students and no teachers.
    :celebrate2:celebrate2:celebrate2

8. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

Yup day off T-shirts day.:burp:go:cheers:drinking

9. sirchai

sirchai Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Thanks for commenting and special thanks to Khun Stamp. Apparently, it's true that we have to come in and all teachers will meet at the famous educational meeting hall of educational area II.

But I'll have to do my 90 day Immigration- Alien thingy on Monday and might stay until noon, then show my face at the meeting hall right after lunch and then use the "telephone trick."

Of course, will I sit next to a door and set my alarm after being there for 10 minutes.

Then I'm acting like I'd receive a phone call, get out of the hall, jump in my truck and leave to Immigration which is on my way back.

Also on Tuesday won't be any lessons for me because they've decided to test all students from grade one to six.

I'm very sad that I may not teach my three hours in the morning and try to get all lessons for this week ready, including my lesson plan.

Why don't they understand that students do not learn anything when they write tests all day long?

Anyway, I'm already counting my days and will not continue at the Cuckoo's nest.

Once that's over, I might (will) warn you guys not to jump into that cold water called ............school.

A wonderful rest of the weekend for all windmill fighters.

Don.jpg

Stamp likes this.