1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Pay rate for teaching English as part time for big groups in Bangkok?

Discussion in 'Staffroom' started by Ajarn Jonathan, 24 Dec 2016.

1. Ajarn Jonathan

Ajarn Jonathan Thread Starter New Member

Hi, I am new so sorry if this thread doesn't go here. I have a couple of questions:

I read that some places like Inlingua or ECC pay around 400 bath per hour. However, these classes are kind of small (5-6 students). What about a part time job where you get to teach 30-40 students? Is the pay rate increased for having so many students or is it the same? Would 500 baht per hour be a fair rate for teaching 30 university students? Thanks.

2. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Hi Jonathan. Welcome to Thailand Teaching Asia.

Language centres have a rate of 300 - 700 THB. The latter if you're teaching IELTS, TOEFL and the likes.

If you're working for yourself and teach 30-40 students I would ask 1,500 THB.

stfranalum likes this.
  3. Hey_ewe

Hey_ewe Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum.

Places like ECC actually charge the students a hell of a lot more than the wage they pay the teacher. Obviously they have to make money but they take a massive cut of the profits, for not doing a lot. 500 baht an hour for such a large group is very low, in my opinion.

Is this a group you are thinking of teaching independently of a tuition school? If so I would want a much higher rate than that. If each student pays 150 an hour (which is more than reasonable, I charge 200 an hour per student in Korat) 30 students = 18,000 baht a month, minus materials, worksheets and rent for a classroom, 1000-2000 a month depending on facilities. If you were to teach a group of 30 students for 500 baht an hour thats 16.6 baht per student per hour. Someone, somewhere is making a good profit on that deal but it won’t be you at that hourly rate!! =]

4. Ajarn Jonathan

Thanks for the answers everyone. I got this job offer from an agency, so I am not working for myself. This is my first time doing part time teaching so I don't want to be scammed. Is 500 baht an hour too bad in this case?

5. Hey_ewe

It’s pretty damn low for a class of 30. How many hours a week are they offering? An agency is never going to pay you a lot, so I’d aim for 1000 baht an hour minimum, see what they say. Agencies are very greedy in my experience, so they’ll probably just find someone else who is willing to do it for 500. It depends on how much you need the extra money and how much free time you have. I don’t do any private work through agencies. The agency gets rich, the students get fleeced and end up with poorly motivated teachers. A friend of mine was once teaching a Saturday morning class for 280 an hour, that's hardly going to make you spring out of bed, when you’ve a beer or two the night before.

6. Ajarn Jonathan

Tuesdasy and Thursdays two hours each day. That is what I am afraid of, if I ask for 1000 they might just reject me and find someone else to do it for 500. I don't desperately need the money, I have my job at university, but I would like to save some money go to travel once in a while, that's it. If I could find something better that would be great, but all the part time jobs I've checked in craiglist or ajarn.com have more or less the same pay rate. Any suggestion on how can I get part time teaching by myself?

7. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

Thai teachers, who teach from 4 to 5 pm usually charge "only 50 baht" per hour. But a class of 40 kids is worth gold and they make 10 K a week or an additional 40 K/month. And that's for primary students.

500 baht an hour isn't enough.Can't you get a group of university students together and use the same "trick"? Just saying.....:smile

8. Hey_ewe

I don’t teach university level so it’s probably a different way of doing things. Sometimes schools don’t like it if teachers openly advertise private classes (although most Thai teachers/lecturers will do it) so perhaps don’t hand out flyers at the end of a lecture. You could put a good flyer with your picture on notice boards in the student union etc. have a tear off strip with your line ID etc. Just the same as the notice boards during freshers week.

I have a separate facebook page for work and if students want to add me, it’s a good way to advertise but also a good place for them to ask questions and for me to upload videos that might help them. “All of todays reference material and helpful videos will be linked on my facebook page.” I can’t see anyone having a problem with you putting your facebook/line ID etc on a powerpoint slide as contact info for assignments and other info, in fact it’s fairly standard practice to have at least your email address. Even if you’re not interested in private work, its very effective way to engage your students, so I’d recommend doing it anyway. Use it primarily as a teaching tool for sharing info, not just to sell classes otherwise people will get bored with you just advertising classes. Maybe start off with a free intro class to generate interest.

If and when students approach you, just ask them to get a small group together. A group of 8-10 students is going to be more profitable and enjoyable for you but also much more productive for them.

It takes a little while to establish yourself, so you might have to make do with some agency work initially, however if you put a load of effort in and make your classes fun, you'll get a good reputation.

9. stfranalum

stfranalum Well-Known Member

i just made this super long post. but rather, i'll munch on popcorn and see how long jonathan takes to figure out that one hour of private teaching really meant 3-4 hours of actual time, which is then $3-5 dollars an hour, and how "not desperate for money" is a pseudonym for something else or something.

private teaching sucks balls and is ONLY worth it if its at really really good pay. it s a lot of work. a freaking lot.

and also like one of those life-isms where if you think 500 an hour for 30 students is ok...then you're worth that much. if you demand 1k (for a new teacher) then you will get treated as such.

shit, for a group like that, you need to get hours lumped together. like a block of 10 hours. and materials. fuck me, this'll be the best thread of 2016! cant wait to see how it pans out, you busting around for $4 an hour, and while living thousands of miles away from home! a western, university educated man....talent and education worth so much.

[​IMG]

10. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

Welcome to the best forum with a focus on Teaching in Thailand.

Ah it's Christmas, a holiday not celebrated by all but certainly a time, for me at least, to be nostalgic.

16 years ago, I taught my first private class. The cost was a meal of rice and basil spiced pork (25 baht at the time), the next month I taught a student for 100 baht for one hour.

Fast forward to today, I now have a small tuition school where I would usually teach for 1500 per hour, and yet I am teaching students for free because they are eager and are in true need of a helping hand.

Without being too moralistic on the matter, your choice of reward should equate to an equilibrium within your needs and conscience. If you believe your time is valued at 500 baht then charge just that. If you feel that your life is more than the sum of what you earn, then charge what makes you content.

Teaching in Thailand (and here comes the quote so yearned for by others) will never a rich man make. But I would rather, well fed, have the knowledge that it is not solely about the money tis about your soul to boot.

Some will post about how insignificant your compensation is, I will post about the balance between said payment and the contribution you make to the lives of others

11. Ajarn Jonathan

I am very unexperienced in terms of private teaching that is why I am asking how much is the average amount languages centres or agencies pay. Is 1000 baht the average pay then? Or will most companies close their doors to me for asking for this amount?

12. Ajarn Jonathan

How can you fight against all these greedy agencies and language centres? I guess everyone thinks deserves to be paid more, but if all the companies set the base salary for 500 baht it is really difficult to find something better.

13. stfranalum

any agency will close thei doors to a teacher, especially an inexperienced one, asking for more than they're willing to pay. they dont care about the teaching going on, if there is no complaints. to them, its just the bottom line. tbh, its understandable, esp if they get away with it and just staff classes with any old farang who makes the students smile. this is truly the situation where the word "edutainment" comes from.

what you need to do, if you want to make more money, is to network and get your own students. no agencies and all the money you earn you keep. you can also edit papers for students, especially graduate students- those who have "made the grade" but yet still cant write coherently. there is good coin to be made doing that.

are you at a university? if so, you're in the right spot, esp for the graduate students. if you're at a high school or primary school, then network with the parents.

it will be slow goings at first. just deliver on quality lessons...the kind where you make them work, show them how much they learned and reinforce the fact that they did it themselves...aka...get them to believe in themselves. it wont just be about english, bu rather, self esteem and as such, your tutoring will take off, as will your learners' self esteem.

you need to network your way into this. there's no other way, given how it's all on the sly. once you get some good creds, you're off and running. oh, and fuck the agencies. you will have a hard time getting anyone from there into your own private teaching situation. ad i for one, wouldn't want to cross their path. just stay out of the way and be the 'other' choice.

Stamp, Ajarn Jonathan and bahn_farang like this.
  14. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

Wouldn't necessarily group all language centres in the same group and attach the tag 'greedy'

Having made that point, here are a few possible answers to your question:

1) Earn your reputation, Why do people think it worthwhile to pay you a little extra? You offer a service that many others can and do. How will you differentiate yourself from the others? Sit down with a piece of paper and write down how you wish to be seen by your students and perhaps as important the fee paying parents.

2) View the relationship between you and a student as one of care not as a pure financial transaction (free back to my last post about balance).

3) Its a hideous thing to say but be a role model for the kids in everything you do. If you are in a small town then being seen in the local bars is not going to grow your reputation.

4) Ask a few close Thai friends the problems they have had with tuition schools and don't fall into the same traps.

Here are a few cynical Ideas

5) stay under 30 for the rest of your life
    6) if you are teaching young children, change your gender the Thais prefer female teachers
    7) never raise a problem tell all parents their little angel is not only a pleasure to teach but quite simply a genius with such good manners
    8) shave 4 times a day, a millimetre of stubble shows your don't know anything about education

15. stfranalum

teaching part time at a language center is different than having an agency arrange the classes. one of those will provide you with course materials and will give you everything you need to get the job done. you go in, teach, and then leave. the other will poo poo requests you make if it involves giving you something that costs them money.

agencies exist to siphon off as much from the situation as they can, with as little investment as they can. a language academy is an actual place with a reputation to uphold. i dont know of one agency in thailand that is worth working for. especially given how he "is not desperate for the money" its hard to see how the effort to network isnt worth it. he needs to meet people and as said above, be a role model. and no, its not a hideous thing. its a real thing that teachers in any place need to consider.

Last edited: 25 Dec 2016
    bahn_farang likes this.