1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help PGCE but no Bachelor's

Discussion in 'Teacher Licensing (TCT)' started by Teacher Jeremy, 28 Jul 2016.

1. Teacher Jeremy

Teacher Jeremy Thread Starter New Member

I'm looking at hiring a teacher for my school and he has a HND and PGCE but no bachelor's degree. From what I've heard/read so far, he won't be able to get a teacher's license (or a provisional permit) without an actual bachelor's.

Does anyone know if the Thai government recognizes the PGCE as a teaching qualification? Does anyone know of any teachers from England who have managed to get a license using the PGCE ?

Help is appreciated.

Thanks

2. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

:welcome2

3. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

Firstly yes khurusapha do recognise a PGCE as others have obtained their full teaching licenses on the back of this. However, as you say without a BA I wonder if this will be an issue or that it isn't as the postgrad qualification overrides this. To be honest I am surprised that a HND is enough to be accepted on a PGCE course, but then maybe one of the other members here on TT can enlighten further as we have a few here with this qualification.

Welcome to TT Jeremy

Stamp likes this.
  4. Stamp

Concur with the previous post.

Jeremy, does the teacher hold QTS?

5. portnoy58

portnoy58 Well-Known Member

Welcome to TTA Jeremy. The truth is you won't know until you try. Location might help if you are outside of BKK where it's often perceived as being more difficult to recruit foreign teachers. They may be prepared to be more flexible and also they may be prepared to offer the standard two year waver and then extend that if the person pursues credentials; in truth there are more options available for getting a Bachelors or equivalent than there are for a PGCE; so if he gets a Bachelor's he becomes hot property with an existing PGCE. Apply for a waver and see what happens.

6. mike123_ca

mike123_ca Active Member

I knew of some teachers who were working on their undergraduate degree part time at the local Thai university while teaching English during the week.

7. GanDoonToonPet

GanDoonToonPet Well-Known Member

Plenty of teachers in the UK have a PGCE with only an HND - some only have a 'high school' certificate. The trick is that they have a Professional Graduate Certificate in Education...this a UG degree taken by trade teachers working in technical colleges; maybe it's that?

TCT rules clearly state that you must have a degree at Bachelor's level & if memory serves, a HND is only 180 credits whereas a Bachelor's is 360; that's only enough to enter onto the second year of a degree...

Also seem to recall that US teachers were refused waivers because they only have an Associate's degree, which may be the equivalent of an HND (?)

Gor Blimey Guvnur! likes this.
  8. Stamp

I was asking about this because before about 2012, the following rule applied.

Capture_205.jpg

The current rules are:

Capture_204_c.jpg

If the teacher has a teaching license from abroad, I would give it a try. i.e. apply for a teacher license.

GanDoonToonPet likes this.
  9. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

PGCE + QTS = path to licensure (and a letter from the local education office to get the visa).
    PGCE without QTS = illegal work (no visa or work permit) or go back to school to complete the degree.

They are NOT working legally. They hold EDU visas that have NOT LEGAL TO WORK printed on the face of them or are here on a Non-O while they work on their degree (again, not legally working as a teacher and not holding a work permit).