1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please be careful what you're saying in Isaan...

Discussion in 'Residing in Thailand' started by sirchai, 30 Jul 2016.

1. sirchai

sirchai Thread Starter Well-Known Member

I usually have my lunch at a restaurant almost opposite of my school.

Yesterday, I was there with a Thai colleague and we made some jokes in Isaan language and the guy was telling me some words I've never heard before.

One of the owners is running a coffee shop and she's really a very good looking eye candy, who seems to be very interested in having a foreign relationship, might it be short, or long time.

She's always wearing very tight jeans and she knows that all guys are following her with their eyes....I'd give her a nine out of 10..:cursing

We finally drove off and I said: " See you" already driving.. My colleague then told me how impolite I was and I had no idea that the two words also mean Fagg You in Lao language.

God, I wish I would have known. A lot of people heard me saying that...:go10

2. tiredtony

tiredtony Well-Known Member

That's about the worst word you can say in Thai. It's got a longer sound than saying see in normal English. Anyway you're saying you in English, and using this (frankly obscene) word is always used with 'mung' for you. Wanna get killed? Say maa see mare mung.
    What sort of a teacher is he telling you that shit? It's loso maak.

sirchai likes this.
  3. sirchai

We weren't talking about the meaning of "See you"" when we had lunch and flirted a bit with her.

They, ( all employees of the restaurant) all know us for many years and really like us and I don't think that it will cause any problems.

All what happened was that I said see you to her when we left, not knowing the "other" meaning of the two words.

I know quite a lot words that can get you in deep shit. like Jett m...., then the phrase for you're produced by a dog, etc..but I'd never ever use such words, regardless what has happened.

Let's call it an accident and my post was more a warning for others to be careful what's being said when people believe their Thai is great and mix it up with some Laotian slang words.

4. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

The language is and the people can be funny like that.

Chalk it up to a brain fart. Had the setting been different (i.e. after dark and more alcohol involved) one wonders if you walk away from it with a no harm no foul attitude.

It didnt take long for me to say of course instead of yep (yed) after moving to thailand.

sirchai likes this.
  5. sirchai

Bho Phenn Janng.-Khop Khun La Lai Doeur...:smile

6. tiredtony

maa see mare mung = dogs f@ck your mother

7. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

In the movie Bangkok Dangerous, "yet ma" was translated as "bastard" or "son of a bitch." I laughed out loud.

sirchai likes this.
  8. tiredtony

There's a big Thai style live music bar near me called yed khae (crocodile f@cker)

sirchai likes this.