1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

POKEMON GO!

Discussion in 'Staffroom' started by bahn_farang, 6 Aug 2016.

1. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Well, have just tried to teach a group of students and their thoughts were elsewhere! Dam you Nintendo for destroying what little attention Thai students had left!

sirchai likes this.
  2. GanDoonToonPet

GanDoonToonPet Well-Known Member

Just installed it myself. Unfortunately it can't find my GPS signal, even though Google Maps can...???

3. po3try

po3try Well-Known Member

I had to have google maps on AND wifi on (even if not connected to anything) for it to work.

quite fun if a bit bemusing.

4. tiredtony

tiredtony Well-Known Member

I see a Thai killed himself in a car crash while playing. Smart one.

sirchai likes this.
  5. bahn_farang

6. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

the kid who got shot had no hand in his own death. random act of violence

7. bahn_farang

perhaps but perhaps not. going to a rough area is not random it is as choice of finding pokemon over personal safety

8. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

it's the victim's fault he was shot?? dear me, I thought it was the fault of the asshole who pulled the trigger. fyi, the area where the kid was shot was not an especially high crime area. what the game does provide is any asshole a surefire way to know where to find a groups of people with no real connection other than a video game.

ffs, do not blame the victim of a crime.

back to pokemon go - bringing people together :thumbs up

9. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

fwiw, you drive a car and drink, talk on the phone, or play pokemon, and you die, it is your fault.

you go somewhere as part of a game (provided doing so is legal) you have a reasonable expectation of safety. if, and it is a big if, the game designers are negligent in where they place their refill stations, and it puts the players at an undue safety risk, then the game company should be looked at in terms of liability.

10. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

11. bahn_farang

That's pretty much what I am doing. Sadly in the times we live in there are areas where it is best not to go. Sadly in this day and age if you go into these areas there is a higher risk factor. You were in finance so with respect you know this already. By not going to these area you by definition are safer than if you do. So someone who goes to this area by choice has placed themselves at a higher risk so yes i do but a proportion of blame firmly on their head

12. bahn_farang

people must choose what is a good thing to do. If people had an ounce of common sense then liability would just be a lawyers wet dream

13. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

So if a drunk college girl gets raped at a party, she's partly to blame?

f*ck that! the blame lies SOLELY at the hands of the person who committed the crime. Victim blaming is as vile as the criminal who commits the crime, to hell with proportioning blame.

Should I blame any of the blacks who die senselessly at the hands of racist white cops for being black? because if I follow your logic they are partly to blame as they are black!

seriously, consider the ramifications of half baked ideas before espousing them.

14. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

From the Phuket article. Umm, I agree with the majority in this poll and I for one will not waste my time with this latest fad. I could rant on a lot but can add that: If one appears in a Klong Toey slum, is it a good idea to go chasing it while staring at your 10000 baht phone?

Scrapbook_1470818050417.png

Last edited: 10 Aug 2016
  15. bahn_farang

Ramses, you seem to misunderstand, calm yourself man, you are rather excitable today. What I am saying is:

1) the chance of being a victim in certain areas is higher than in others. This is surely a fact. If not then please let the entire insurance industry know cause they are being foolish.

2) if someone who knows the risks involved, goes into that area then some questions need to be asked as to the intelligence of that choice.

Does this make the pokemon player any more guilty in terms of the crime? No of cause not.

But to suggest that people do not take responsibility for their own actions is rather naive.